Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
MOBI old, MOBI new, MOBI both

I have books in my calibre library in all three of the MOBI formats (new, old, and combo new & old). Is there anyway for me to do isolate via a search which books are in which one of those three formats?
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Check Perferences-->Custom columns. I have a column called Format; whether it is a custom or already part of calibre, I do not remember.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Check Perferences-->Custom columns. I have a column called Format; whether it is a custom or already part of calibre, I do not remember.
I have this column, too. Unfortunately, all three MOBI packets display simply as "MOBI". What I am wondering is if there's a way to reliably distinguish them when you have a couple hundred of each type floating around your library.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Hmm...

Just noticed some of my books are ORIGINAL_MOBI, some MOBI, some both.

Don't know the difference.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Hmm...

An original_mobi is created when you do a mobi to mobi conversion so that you do not lose your original ebook if something goes wrong in the conversion. Its sort of a safety feature. If you don't like a conversion just select original_mobi right click and you should get an option to go back to the original version.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Hmm...

Original_(x) happens when you convert from-to the same format. That way you can (right-click) Restore, when the results of the convert are less than expected
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
An original_mobi is created when you do a mobi to mobi conversion so that you do not lose your original ebook if something goes wrong in the conversion. Its sort of a safety feature. If you don't like a conversion just select original_mobi right click and you should get an option to go back to the original version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Original_(x) happens when you convert from-to the same format. That way you can (right-click) Restore, when the results of the convert are less than expected
You two owe each other a Coke!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Thanks, Dopedangel, theducks.

That's a neat feature.

I have just started doing mobi to mobi conversions to pick up the metadata at the start of my books, another neat feature.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

What happened to the "jinx".

It has been a lot of years since I heard that phrase.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hey, We try
Can I have some Rum in mine please
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hey, We try
Can I have some Rum in mine please
And a twist of lime!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
I have this column, too. Unfortunately, all three MOBI packets display simply as "MOBI". What I am wondering is if there's a way to reliably distinguish them when you have a couple hundred of each type floating around your library.
Strange. I don't have a custom column, but I have formats in the tag browser. I've got MOBI (which is what standard azw's turn into on import), HTMLZ (ditto but for Topaz) and AZW3 (which I was assuming was both new and combo).
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Strange. I don't have a custom column, but I have formats in the tag browser. I've got MOBI (which is what standard azw's turn into on import), HTMLZ (ditto but for Topaz) and AZW3 (which I was assuming was both new and combo).
It can get a little hairy. A certain plugin that "fixes" your ebooks when you first import them into calibre is largely responsible for your situation being somewhat more "clear." Without that certain plugin assigning specific file extensions to certain (sub)formats (based on internal file details), you could simply wind up with a library full of AZWs (if you buy most of your ebooks from Amazon). And an AZW could potentially be Topaz, MOBI, or a stand-alone KF8 (depending on what device/app the file was originally downloaded to). For someone that creates/distributes their own ebooks with kindlegen... MOBI could be the regular old MOBI format, or it could be a joint MOBI/KF8 file. Calibre can also produce a stand-alone KF8 file or a joint MOBI/KF8 file that simply appears as MOBI (or it can create an AZW3—which should be a stand-alone KF8).

It's MOBI-Madness up in here!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-16-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sounds like a movie with screaming teenagers…

(a rampaging whale?)
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It can get a little hairy. A certain plugin that "fixes" your ebooks when you first import them into calibre are largely responsible for your situation being somewhat more "clear." Without that certain plugin assigning specific file extensions to certain (sub)formats (based on internal file details), you could simply wind up with a library full of AZWs (if you buy most of your ebooks from Amazon). And an AZW could potentially be Topaz, MOBI, or a stand-alone KF8 (depending on what device/app the file was originally downloaded to). For someone that creates/distributes their own ebooks with kindlegen... MOBI could be the regular old MOBI format, or it could be a joint MOBI/KF8 file. Calibre can also produce a stand-alone KF8 file or a joint MOBI/KF8 file that simply appears as MOBI (or it can create an AZW3—which should be a stand-alone KF8).

I thought about that after I posted, and it's nice to have that clarified. I guess I've been doing things a certain way for so long I momentarily forgot that it's not a stock process.

So tempted to make a joke regarding a big whale. Nice to know unboggling and I ended up in the same place.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote