Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
Total wireless backup?

Is there a way to ask Amazon to somehow backup all of my Kindle content including my personal documents? It's just that I messed up my Kindle 3 by installing a faulty USB Network hack and now my Kindle is refusing to connect to my computer so I can't uninstall the hack. I really don't want to do a factory reset because so much of my content are personal documents and I haven't backed up my data in months (and I can't now because my Kindle won't connect via USB). Is it possible for Amazon to backup all my data wirelessly and e-mail it to me or something? I know Amazon are very friendly and there's a good chance they'd do that for me, but would they be able to? Could they wirelessly extract the data from my Kindle? If they can and do, I'll be able to reset my Kindle to factory defaults and put the data Amazon sent me back on.
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
Is there a way to ask Amazon to somehow backup all of my Kindle content including my personal documents?
No. It only backups your annotations, bookmarks and furthest read and only if they're items from the Kindle store. I doubt Kindle CS would be able to initiate a backup like you want either as the mechanism is mainly based on download only of eBooks. The only uploading is the previous mentioned data and diagnostic log files. You can ask them but I wouldn't expect them to be able to. They'd be opening a huge can of worms anyway if they did have this ability considering people already pointlessly rage about the data that is uploaded already.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
That sucks. I had to do something similar with my Nook, but fortunately, I back up my data frequently enough to not lose anything.

For the personal documents you've emailed to your Kindle, do you still have copies of those emails in a sent folder or something? Might be able to recover some of them that way.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

In any case, the Kindle shouldn't contain the only copy of anything important :P
Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Then do you know of any other way to backup or transfer data from my Kindle without connecting it to a computer? I have a Kindle 3 (B006) so I can't backup my data to a microSD card like Kindle 1 can.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
That sucks. I had to do something similar with my Nook, but fortunately, I back up my data frequently enough to not lose anything.
I thought Nook had a MicroSD card slot. Doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
For the personal documents you've emailed to your Kindle, do you still have copies of those emails in a sent folder or something? Might be able to recover some of them that way.
Sadly, most of my "personal documents" were free, out-of-copyright (pre-1923) e-books from Inkmesh or pirated, non-DRMed e-books from other sites. Very few of my files were transfered via e-mail.

P.S. Do you think, if I were to reset my Kindle 3 to factory defaults to remove the hack I installed incorrectly, I would be able to restore the data with Recuva?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Nook has a micro SD slot, yes, but I haven't actually installed a card yet. Everything was backed up on my PC and external hard drive, so I just sideloaded again. *shrug*

I have no idea about recovering the files, but I hope you figure something out. I'm guessing you don't have the original files on your computer, so you can't just sideload once the Kindle is reset? Best of luck!
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
P.S. Do you think, if I were to reset my Kindle 3 to factory defaults to remove the hack I installed incorrectly, I would be able to restore the data with Recuva?
Maybe. Maybe not. The flash controller and Kindle software may prevent it from working by doing wear leveling. No idea what would happen as I've never done a factory reset and examined the flash drive. I'd say this would be an absolute last resort anyway because undeleting files is generally unreliable anyway for anything which isn't easy to piece together or if there are multiple files involved.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Isn't there a low-level drop to USB mode for loading firmware you can force the device into?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. The flash controller and Kindle software may prevent it from working by doing wear leveling. No idea what would happen as I've never done a factory reset and examined the flash drive. I'd say this would be an absolute last resort anyway because undeleting files is generally unreliable anyway for anything which isn't easy to piece together or if there are multiple files involved.
I did do a test. I backed up my younger sister's Kindle 2 onto my computer and then reset her device to factory defaults. I then connected the empty device to my computer and had Recuva scan the device. The only files it found were a couple semi-intact GIF screenshots and a badly corrupt audiobook (along with something that it thought was an AVI file titled "index`db"). Unless Kindle 3 doesn't emit as powerful a flash as Kindle 2, I won't be able to recover anything useful with Recuva.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Isn't there a low-level drop to USB mode for loading firmware you can force the device into?
There might be, but I wouldn't know how to access it. Firmware updates are normally just dropped into the root of the device anyways.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Why do you need to recover files exactly? Like you should be able to get anything you had before easily if you paid for it, just go to the pay-site and re-download... If you got it through other means.. then get it through those means again...
I don't get it, the kindle doesn't have word processing software, and it isn't a camcorder, so wtf did you lose that you need to recover?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
curstpriest
Confused

Recovery mode

To enable the recovery mode, reboot and hold the Home-botton when the screen is flashing from black to white.

Connect via USB to a computer and manage the files on the device. Press R to reboot.

Does this work on K3?

http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-2-recovery-mode/

This alex kid has the exact same avatar as you (mabye it is you?)
he broke his kindle with USBnetwork hack too! awsome

Anyways, try rebooting with usb plugged in, and maybe it will default to usb drive mode before kindle loads its normal firmware? I can't tell that kid's engrish is bad. Try fiddling with recovery mode options.

Alex
July 10th, 2010 at 11:47 am

I’ve tried entering the recovery mode trick and it use to work. Now, for some reason, if you hold the home button while the Kindle is rebooting, the Kindle says: “Type ‘RESET’ to reset to factory defaults”. I think I’ve found out why. I think recovery mode was removed from firmware version 2.5. I think it only worked in version 2.3.
ctduc
July 15th, 2010 at 9:45 am

hi Alex,

you can reenter USB Drive Mode flow below steps:
1. plugin usb
2. restart your kindle
3. you will be on usb drive mode after the progress bar is finish

I thinks a bricked my kindle after try usbNet hack, it not recognize my USB, thanks god I found this

Last edited by curstpriest; 10-20-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Recovery mode

To enable the recovery mode, reboot and hold the Home-botton when the screen is flashing from black to white.

Connect via USB to a computer and manage the files on the device. Press R to reboot.

Does this work on K3?

http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-2-recovery-mode/

This alex kid has the exact same avatar as you (mabye it is you?)
he broke his kindle with USBnetwork hack too! awsome

Anyways, try rebooting with usb plugged in, and maybe it will default to usb drive mode before kindle loads its normal firmware? I can't tell that kid's engrish is bad. Try fiddling with recovery mode options.

Alex
July 10th, 2010 at 11:47 am

I’ve tried entering the recovery mode trick and it use to work. Now, for some reason, if you hold the home button while the Kindle is rebooting, the Kindle says: “Type ‘RESET’ to reset to factory defaults”. I think I’ve found out why. I think recovery mode was removed from firmware version 2.5. I think it only worked in version 2.3.
ctduc
July 15th, 2010 at 9:45 am

hi Alex,

you can reenter USB Drive Mode flow below steps:
1. plugin usb
2. restart your kindle
3. you will be on usb drive mode after the progress bar is finish

I thinks a bricked my kindle after try usbNet hack, it not recognize my USB, thanks god I found this
Yup, that's me. Same avatar, same Kindle problems and everything. Anyways, thanks for showing me the reply I got. I forgot I even was on that site! I'll try that now.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AFAIK, you can no longer access the recovery mode *without* doing a factory reset since FW 2.5. (ie. it's now hold [home] during a cold boot => 'type reset' screen => hold [home] (after having typed reset, ie. on the reset to factory defaults progress bar) => recovery instead of hold [home] during a cold boot => recovery).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-21-2010 at 12:50 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, hacks, kindle 3, usb, wireless