Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
nis_801
nis_801 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sony Reader 505 - How To Edit Titles of Ebooks??

Hey, yall~

I just got a Sony Reader 505 and was wondering how the hell you edit the titles of the book that are loaded to the Sony Reader?? I'v tried everything. I have re-named the ebook and tried to load it to the device and for some reason it has a default name of, "Chapter One" or "One"??? I have OCD when it come to this stuff so please help me I'm going nuts!!!

ALso, What are some programs that I can use with the Sony Reader or the Kindle 2???

THANKS
NIK~
nis_801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Try Calibre. There is a dedicated forum on Mobileread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

To download the program do a google search for Calibre
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi NIK and welcome to MobileRead!

The Sony ebook library will not allow you to change book titles, authors or other information (meta-data). As grooks recommended, calibre will allow you to do this. It is an ebook management programme that allows you to change meta-data of books, converts books to different formats and allows you to organise your books through tags.

This is the link to the website: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
When I am working with a text version (doc, txt) of the book, I use MS Word and save the file as an RTF (instead of a DOC) with font 16.

Before I close the file, I go to the document properties (under the File menu) and edit the title/author there.

When you do this, it shows up on your 505 menus correctly.

-Seth Williams,
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
davlewis
davlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
So, if I use Calibre, how do I get the books purchased on the Sony eBook connect site into Calibre so I can manage them?

What I would like to do is add the copyright year, or at minimum a count to titles in a series, such as the John Sandford Prey series so that I know which title to read next. It appears there is no way to do that with the Sony software, it sounds as if Calibre can do it, but I need a SAFE reliable way to get the books purchased from Sony into the Calibre application.

And I must admit, I saw a thread in the Calibre forum about a corrupted PRS-505 and the response was that the use of both the Sony library software (required to buy books from Sony) and the use of Calibre caused the corruption (NOT a fun thought that if I use Calibre and the Sony library software that I risk trashing my content). The recommendation was reset the device and reload from Sony library and use only one or the other of the applications. And yes I have checked out Fictionwise, Books On Border, etc. for the titles I have purchased from Sony. Invariably the title if available on an alternate to the Sony site is not not in a format that the Sony supports (mobiread, ereader, etc.). I did download one book from BoB in the Sandford Prey series that was in Adobe Digital Editions format, and beyond the hassle of activating the computer, activating the PRS-505 under Windows to ADE, then using ADE to get the title to the PRS-505, when I checked out the book on the PRS-505 and compared it to other Prey series books purchased from Sony I find the ADE format to be sub optimal. For example the ADE format does not scale very nicely if you increase the font size, the page breaks are totally messed up (a page with only two or three lines of text on it).

So for now, I prefer the Sony formatted books, but would love to have a SAFE way to manage the library to add additional meta data to make reading series easier. If Calibre can import the Sony ebooks it is not obvious how to do it.

Dave...
davlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davlewis View Post
use only one or the other of the applications.
You'll be OK if you only use one or the other each time the device is connected, i.e. if you've used the Sony s/w, eject the device (and stop the Sony s/w if you've set it to auto-sync) then reconnect it if you want to use Calibre.

> If Calibre can import the Sony ebooks it is not obvious how to do it.

Just import them into Calibre from where they're stored on the PC (My Documents/...)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
davlewis
davlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks, I just imported the Sony purchased books into Calibre. Now I will see if I can setup the book title to indicate the number of the book in the series.

One question, I if just sync (drag all books) from Calibre back to my PRS-505 will it duplicate all of the books, or is it smart enough to detect the book is in place and not duplicate the book? Or should I delete all books from the PRS-505 first and then sync everything back to the PRS-505?

Dave..
davlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just wanted to point out that there are two types of ADE books (PDF and ePub). Sounds like the John Sanford book you purchased was in PDF format. As you noted, that the way it appears on the Sony is sub-optimal. If you find a book in ADE-ePub format (Books on Board does sell these) it will work very well with the Sony.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I use Calibre to edit metadata, then shut it down and use the Sony software to synch the books to my device.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davlewis View Post
One question, I if just sync (drag all books) from Calibre back to my PRS-505 will it duplicate all of the books, or is it smart enough to detect the book is in place and not duplicate the book? Or should I delete all books from the PRS-505 first and then sync everything back to the PRS-505?
It plays safe & only automatically overwrites books that it itself put on the Reader, so delete them 'manually' before syncing. (Note that you can do that from within Calibre itself, though.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote