Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
obelisk
obelisk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.5. Getting "Your Kindle Needs Repair" message :sad2:

Hi all,
I have a kindle pw with firmware 5.3.5, on which i tried to install new fonts by placing an empty file with name USE_ALT_FONTS and a fonts folder in root folder of Kindle drive as online tutorials suggest. I kept some otf and ttf files in groups of four and then i rebooted the device through the device menu.
But instead of getting i new fonts as i thought i would i was greeted with Repair Needed and "Your Kindle Needs Repair".
Now I could have undone the placing of files and folders but when i plug the device in my laptop with windows 7, the laptop shows Recovery drive which is like a hidden drive, appearing for like 30 seconds and the reboot screen is shown on the kindle in the meanwhile. But after that I can not see anything in the laptop by which i can tell that the device is still attached to it.
After that the dreadful Repair Needed screen returns.

Somebody please help.
obelisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Sorry, but the only option for the average end user is: return it to Amazon.

In their infinite wisdom, they decided not to provide any way to debrick Paperwhites.

EDIT:
Oh well, if you still have access to the USB storage for a long enough time while it starts up, you could try to put a firmware update on it, then reboot. But that's not guaranteed to work. (You probably won't have enough time to copy the entire file to it in the first place. And even if that works, a firmware re-install is not guaranteed to solve the problem).

Last edited by ixtab; 08-11-2013 at 12:44 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
paspas
Enthusiast
paspas began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
hi

i had the same problem, i connected kindle to my computer an deleted that file from linux (if you see the device in windows i think it was the same).

good luck
paspas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
obelisk

Thanks for responses

Thanks ixtab, but id like to explore exhaust other options at my disposal before i'd do that.

paspas, i did connect the pw to a linux system and it did appear for a very brief period like 30 seconds as secondary disk sdb in /dev/, but i could not mount it and it disappears just like that from /dev/ directory.

Other non invasive solutions anyone?
Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by obelisk View Post
Thanks ixtab, but id like to explore exhaust other options at my disposal before i'd do that.
... problem is: there are no known options.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
paspas
Enthusiast
paspas began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
sorry, the unique solution for me was delete that file, and, I remember that my device disapear from the system a few seconds after connec it to my pc.

good look
paspas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
obelisk

Question access main device memory

dear paspas
i am unable to access the main device memory.
As soon as i plug the device into a lappy, i get that initial screen with kindle in gray written on top and a kid reading under a tree in black graphic for about 30 seconds. But even in those 30 seconds i remain unable to access the main device memory.
Could you elaborate how you were able to access the main memory when i fail to access every time? Could your different firmware version have made your life easier in allowing you access to main memory?