Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #541
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Jailbreak before going the 5.3.1 --> 5.3.3 path (you can't do the original install of the JB on 5.3.2 or 5.3.3).
There is no 5.3.2 for the Paperwhite

(mind you, I made the same mistake. I originally posted 5.3.2 as the suggested version ).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #542
mahtin
google this
mahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo h2o2, bookeen muse frontlight, resurrected. Fire HD8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
If you want to also install JBPatch, I guess 5.3.1 or 5.3.3.
Many thanks.
mahtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #543
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
There is no 5.3.2 for the Paperwhite

(mind you, I made the same mistake. I originally posted 5.3.2 as the suggested version ).
It has been awhile (decades) since I made a mistake, so I edited my post to include that 5.3.2 you all see now.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #544
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Does 'pissed off' still work on FW 5.3.6??? or do I need to apply on 5.3.5 and use the "OMFG" bridge from ixtab so it survives the 'screw-up(grade)'?!
"Pissed Off" works on all Amazon versions (at least for me).

Why do I have such strong opinions?
Because the lab126 crew gets PAID to turn out lower quality stuff than the members here turn out for free.

EDIT:
There is a back story there -
I was the "Directory of System's Development" for a large corporation for years.
If I could just get my hands on that crew's necks - or better, their time sheets . . . .

Last edited by knc1; 06-22-2013 at 03:57 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #545
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
This is a bit weird question.
Why do you advertise 5.3.3 and not 5.3.4?
One cannot directly jailbreak 5.3.3 and there are no problems with 5.3.4.
Both, the "JBPatch" and "Collections Manager" work well with 5.3.4.
I'm asking this question because I run 5.3.4 now and if there are any known reasons why I should downgrade to 5.3.3 (or even to 5.3.1), it would be nice to know them.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #546
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
This is a bit weird question.
Why do you advertise 5.3.3 and not 5.3.4?
One cannot directly jailbreak 5.3.3 and there are no problems with 5.3.4.
Both, the "JBPatch" and "Collections Manager" work well with 5.3.4.
I'm asking this question because I run 5.3.4 now and if there are any known reasons why I should downgrade to 5.3.3 (or even to 5.3.1), it would be nice to know them.
Only because the font size patch (which some people use, but which has a few issues) works on 5.3.3, but not on 5.3.4. Otherwise, 5.3.4 is fine, too.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #547
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Only because the font size patch (which some people use, but which has a few issues)
Imho, problem in Aa-menu - if to correct menu for actual font-size view, then font-size in kf8/azw3-books don't change...
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #548
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
And could you also, please, comment on 5.3.3 versus 5.3.1?
Which one is "better" and why (i.e. is there any reason to downgrade to 5.3.1 for anybody who runs 5.3.3 or 5.3.4)?
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #549
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
And could you also, please, comment on 5.3.3 versus 5.3.1?
Which one is "better" and why (i.e. is there any reason to downgrade to 5.3.1 for anybody who runs 5.3.3 or 5.3.4)?
Nope, there's no reason to go all the way down to 5.3.1. The only "downside" of 5.3.3 is that you can't "install" the jailbreak on that version. The only "downside" of 5.3.4 is that the fontsize patch doesn't work. Otherwise, these firmwares are (and behave) pretty much identical.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #550
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
If I upgrade to 5.3.6 and then upgrade to 2.3.7...is there a way to do it without losing my collections already? I'm on 5.3.4 and 2.3.6.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #551
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
If I upgrade to 5.3.6 and then upgrade to 2.3.7...is there a way to do it without losing my collections already? I'm on 5.3.4 and 2.3.6.
Sure, go ahead. No collections will be lost.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #552
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Sure, go ahead. No collections will be lost.
Thanks for the swift reply. Is it just a matter of deleting the azw file and installing the new one? Also will the jailbreak survive the upgrade to 5.3.6?
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #553
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Thanks for the swift reply. Is it just a matter of deleting the azw file and installing the new one? Also will the jailbreak survive the upgrade to 5.3.6?
Yes, you only have to replace the azw2 file, and yes, the device jailbreak as such will survive the update. However you *will* have to reinstall the Kindlet jailbreak, and other stuff (see the PW jailbreak thread for more information).

If you want to be extra-cautious, you could export the collections to calibre from CM before doing the upgrade. That'll serve as a "poor man's backup", in case the FW update really decided to eat your collections. It shouldn't, but I've seen all sorts of weird stuff happening with Amazon's firmwares, particularly the 5.3.6 one.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #554
engnrd
blargh
engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
I've been having problems with nested collections for a few weeks now, and I have no idea where to even look for log files. Books and other nested collections are disappearing in nested collections and/or my kindle PW is freezing.

It's been months since I did anything with my kindle PW other than add/remove books from it. I'm on version 2.3.3 of Collection Manager, and Kindle firmware 5.3.0 (yes I know that's not one of the standard firmwares, but I put my kindle in airplane mode after the first time it updated on it's own, and haven't taken it off since). I looked at the version history for CM, and it looks like the newer versions are mostly just updates for firmware that I haven't installed, other than 2.3.4 which wasn't linked, so I'm not sure what the small fix was for?

Currently I've just un-nested all my collections, but I'd like to get this fixed. Is there a log file somewhere that I can check for errors, or should I look into updating my firmware and Collections Manager?
engnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #555
ixtab
(offline)

This must be a problem with the firmware itself, not with CM. CM is merely a front-end for modifying the collections database, every other functionality is provided by the Kindle FW. Consequently, there is no CM-specific log file.

It is an unfortunate fact that the Kindle software is pretty fragile and is sometimes behaving in very strange ways (e.g., put a book on the Kindle that it doesn't like, and suddenly, all books disappear), and there doesn't seem to be an easy fix. Most of the times, the "Windows approach" (reset everything and start from scratch) seems to work, at least for some time - until this or another problem appears again.

Sorry for not being able to provide a more specific or more satisfactory answer. It's not my software that is misbehaving, it's the firmware - and nobody really knows why.

PS: It may still be a good idea to update CM to the latest version. And possibly - at your discretion - the FW as well. But note that 5.3.6 is a horrible piece of crap IMO, so maybe stick with 5.3.4.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-08-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: grammar/typo

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks