Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Partecipereste al forum italiano?/Would you be active in the Italian forum?
Sì/Yes 17 53.13%
No 10 31.25%
Forse/Maybe 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
kya
kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sondaggio su apertura forum italiano/Italian forum Poll

Ciao a tutti,

come suggerito da beppe, apro questo sondaggio per chiedere in particolare agli utenti italiani (ma non solo a loro) se sono interessati all'apertura di un forum nella nostra lingua.

Si è già parlato della cosa in questo thread ma essendo ormai aperto da oltre un anno è difficile capire in quanti parteciperebbero veramente solo in base a quello. Quindi facciamo un bel censimento (tanto è il periodo ) e poi lo staff valuterà.

--- (poor ) English translation ---

as Beppe suggested, I'm starting this poll to ask specifically to Italian users (but not them only) if they'd like the idea of having an Italian forum where we can speak in our language.

We already talked about this here but since it's been open for more than a year it's not easy to understand how many people would be really interested only according to that thread. So, let's see how many users are on and the staff will think about it.

Thanks,
Kya
kya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure how I feel. I've found on other forums that it ends up being a gain for those speakers of the language, but an overall loss for the forum itself. We would lose some of the participation of some members in other discussions and potentially lose some valuable insights into some topics. On other forums I've been on it's usually been region specific and not necessarily language-based. I'm going to abstain on the vote.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
kya
kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for replying

Quote:
We would lose some of the participation of some members in other discussions and potentially lose some valuable insights into some topics.
Well, on the other side it could also be a way to attract more users.
Maybe some of the users active in the German or French forum could tell us what they think.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
HomeInYourShoes, do you really have the impression that having a French and a German part is disadvantageous for the whole forum and the discussions in the English part?

I would go with kya that a national (e.g. Italian) part could attract more native speakers. Yes, there are quite a lot of German members who only post in the German subforum but I guess without the possibility of writing in German they wouldn't write at all and seek other places in the web. It is more convenient to write in one's mother tongue. And many topics really are Germany- or Europe-focused and not that interesting for American readers.

There is one part of the German forum that sometimes has the livelier discussions or better informations in it, that is the German Pocketbook forum. But that has more to do with Pocketbook itself as only one of their representatives (Forkosigan) is active here nowadays.

All in all I am happy that there is also a German part, and I think it would be fine for our Italians, too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
As an English only speaker, I love the idea. It's a great way to diversify the membership and broaden the views of all.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
As an Italian living abroad and doing most of my reading in English, I frankly don't care too much. On one side, I would not participate just to be able to post in Italian - that does not have much of an appeal to me. On the other side, I would like a place where to keep abreast of the latest developments in domestic literature. So... I guess I am more interested in a forum on Italian-specific topics than I am in a forum in Italian language, if that makes sense...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
We are a global forum!

As a Canadian of Italian ancestry, I don't get to practice my mother tongue (Sicilian dialect) anymore, but nevertheless would welcome Italian-specific discussions here. But just don't talk about politics...

My uncle (father's younger brother) still lives in Italy (actually Sicily ) and we have been back to see him and his family several times, so I do have an appreciation and fondness for the culture! Just thinking about this, makes me want to start planning to go back....
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I voted yes - I see homeinmyshoe's point, but I also agree with Billi that those guys who would only post in the Italian forum would probably not post in the rest of the site anyway - while all those that already do will know that if they want to interact with the rest of the wonderful mobileread community will have to use English.

On the other hand, a dedicated Italian forum will allow everyone who feels that like it to discuss of e.g. Italian text in their original form - which might otherwise sound pretentious and pedantic in the general forum. Besides, having been living outside Italy for the past 18 years or so, I would relish the challenge of having to write in reasonable Italian instead of my lazy usual "Itanglish"
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
HomeInYourShoes, do you really have the impression that having a French and a German part is disadvantageous for the whole forum and the discussions in the English part?
I don't believe having those parts are disadvantageous for the whole forum. What I've found is that it simply moves thread traffic to different parts of the forum. That is all. It's not a case of this is better than that or this is disadvantageous to the forum as a whole. It is only an observation of what I've found on other forums as more and more regions are created.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I see what you mean. But isn't this forum a little bit cluttered anyway just because of the different readers we own and because of the different subforums we post in?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I see what you mean. But isn't this forum a little bit cluttered anyway just because of the different readers we own and because of the different subforums we post in?
Most definitely! This board could stand some serious streamlining and elimination of redundant sub-forums that lead to duplicate threads.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
MR is indeed unique, by size of participation, by scope and by level of its members and their activity on the board.

I think that an Italian forum could attract on MR some of the Italians that are reading ebooks and that populate a number of existing Italian boards.

The offer of ebooks by Italian editors and publishers is not yet comparable with those in any one of the English speaking countries, US, UK, Canada and Oz. It is nevertheless becoming important, and without doubt it will increase with the December festivities.

That is why it would be advantageous and opportune to launch an Italian Forum on MR now.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
No, but only becuase I can neither read nor speak Italian.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
kya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
No, but only becuase I can neither read nor speak Italian.
Oops... maybe I should have added another option to the poll
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I'll just stick to English, but thanks.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote