Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
js4c
js4c began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Novel
Covers not copying to Pandigital Novel

Hello. I am having problems getting book cover jpg files copied to the Pandigital Novel when I transfer books to it. The files need to have the same file name (minus the extension) as the underlying book. Is there a setting I am missing? Calibre has no problem identifying the Novel.
js4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know, the driver has no support for that. Open a ticket for it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never mind, I added code for it, will be in the next release
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
js4c
js4c began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Novel
Fantastic! Thanks for the quick response!
js4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
ChrisB01
ChrisB01 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I am new to Calibre, and cannot seem to figure out how to get covers to show on the Pandigital Novel. I see by this thread that support was added, but which options do I choose to get it to create the cover image with the same file name prefix as the title?

Looking at the internal memory of the Novel, it seems that books are saved in the eBooks folder, and images are saved in the .thumbnails folder, but I'm not sure if that's necessary ot not.
ChrisB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
ChrisB01

Not sure if this has anything to do with it... but Calibre shows that BOOX is the connected device when it is actually PDNOVEL... can I change that?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

no you cannot. your pd novel is identifying itself as a boox.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
ChrisB01

Well, let's not worry about that and get back to the original problem... how do I get covers to show on the PDNOVEL?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I have no idea, I've never laid eyes on a PD Novel.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4c View Post
Hello. I am having problems getting book cover jpg files copied to the Pandigital Novel when I transfer books to it. The files need to have the same file name (minus the extension) as the underlying book. Is there a setting I am missing? Calibre has no problem identifying the Novel.
The user manual mentions that you have to have a .jpg file with the same name as the book file, to have a picture to go with the book.

i.e., librarydog.jpg & librarydog.pdf

I haven't tried it yet, but....
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB01 View Post
I am new to Calibre, and cannot seem to figure out how to get covers to show on the Pandigital Novel. I see by this thread that support was added, but which options do I choose to get it to create the cover image with the same file name prefix as the title?

Looking at the internal memory of the Novel, it seems that books are saved in the eBooks folder, and images are saved in the .thumbnails folder, but I'm not sure if that's necessary ot not.
The user manual mentions that you have to have a .jpg file with the same name as the book file, to have a picture to go with the book.

i.e., librarydog.jpg & librarydog.pdf

I haven't tried it yet, but....
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
ChrisB01

Thanks bookratt... I tried that, but the device still would not show the cover. I returned the PDNOVEL for that and other reasons. I was evaluating it as a gift for my mother, so I needed something with a simple interface; but it just did not qualify.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
jtintle
jtintle began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel Black
With the Pandigital Novel Black, the covers not only need to match the title of the book, but also need to be smaller than 10kb. thats probably why it wasn't showing
jtintle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
chango714
Chango714
chango714 began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel
I have been playing with the Pandigital black extensively. I found that you cannot just copy over the .JPG to the .Thumbnails directory. The only way I can get the covers to show up is to copy the PDF or EPUB and the .JPG with the exact same name to an SD card and load from there. There must be a hook in the code that pairs them up that copying by passes. I havent tried in Calibre yet, as that only copies the books over. I wish I could figure out their naming convention for the filenames. Sort by Authors seems to sort by book name while sort by Title sorts by author. I have my files named LN,FN - Title.
Anyone figure this out?
chango714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
jtintle
jtintle began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel Black
chango, I drop and drag(cut-n-paste) covers into \eBooks\.thumbnail all the time...might have to do with which operating system you are using....

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, I connect the Novel to the computer via usb, and use Calibre to move the ebook to the device, then go into windows explorer, open up \eBooks\.thumbnail, and drop and drag the cover over, then edit it so that it is smaller that 10 kb, mainly by resizing the cover with paint...

just my 2 cents
jtintle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pandigital