Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
BBCA and Syfy - The 2 Being Humans

I love the BBCA version. Especially now that Nina is pregnant with what I can only imagine will redefine the "Terrible Twos" in a couple of years.

The Syfy version is exactly the same. The actors, costumes, and stories are so much alike that I am finding myself confusing the storylines.

So what is the point of remaking the Syfy version if it is going to be exactly like the BBCA version?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I so wish I knew what you were talking about!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are doing something along the lines of producing a US version of The Office a few years ago. The US channel is basically remaking the show identical to the UK version, but the storylines are seperated by a year.

They look so much alike that I keep getting confused which is which.

And the two werewolves in the UK version got accidentally locked in together during a recent full moon, and now they are gonna have a baby or puppy.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I started watching the BBC one but then started on the Sy Fy one and I didn't know the BBC one was still going on - I figured they sold the rights because they weren't going to produce it again. Now I need to catch up on the BBC one.

I'm not sure which one I like better, the BBC one was funnier, but I like the Sy Fy characters better, or maybe I should say I like the actors better. They keep tripping me up when the plot line starts the same but then ends up going off of what I was expecting. Hopefully there will be enough interested to keep them going for a while, or at least one of them.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Didn't even know there was a Syfy version - will have to check it out
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!

Aw man, Dave! This BBCA season has been great, the best yet! You gotta download it and get up to speed.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Aw man, Dave! This BBCA season has been great, the best yet! You gotta download it and get up to speed.
Crap! Something else to add to my list now! Gee, thanks DixieGal

I'll have to start playing catch up, maybe there is a marathon coming up.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I watched the BBCA version before we moved, but our new cable doesn't carry BBCA, so I started on the SYFY version. I was confused at first, thinking it was the British version and wondered what happened to their accents.

I miss my BBCA, but not enough to pay for the next tier for that one channel.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
People keep telling me that American TV viewers have "problems" with accents on TV shows, and will turn off a program made in England, Australia, etc. So they feel they must "remake" the show with American actors (or actors that can do American accents, which happens to include actors from the aforementioned countries, and others besides) to sell to American audiences.

I find that to be either sad, far-fetched or preposterous (depending on the time of day), especially as popular accented characters abound on American shows, and I find it hard to believe there's a "critical mass" of accent that suddenly makes a show unwatchable to some viewers. And it hardly explains the popular British TV shows like The Avengers, Upstairs-Downstairs, Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, etc, that enjoy a healthy American following, and never needed to be "Americanized" to do it.

I suspect there's a lot of contract issues going on under the radar that have something to do with it... not to mention influence by promoters, studios and marketers to provide work to local talent... that are the real culprits here.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!

Well Steve, as for Tim and me, we watch a good many BBCA shows. But we honestly can't understand them. Our worst offender was Rose on Dr Who, who barely mumbled through her awful overbite at high speed. It helps to keep that closed captioning turned on. Subtitles needed to translate my own language.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Well Steve, as for Tim and me, we watch a good many BBCA shows. But we honestly can't understand them. Our worst offender was Rose on Dr Who, who barely mumbled through her awful overbite at high speed. It helps to keep that closed captioning turned on. Subtitles needed to translate my own language.
Southeners in the USA have a completely different language with their own way of not being understood.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Southeners in the USA have a completely different language with their own way of not being understood.
It's part of my charm. We have our own regional variations. I always wanted a Georgia accent. Vowels are softer and sybilent. Mine has harder vowels, but drags them out a few syllables.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

LOL! BTW, when i spoke to Betty (bjones) on the phone, she sounded so cultured with that Ga accent, and i felt like abraying donkey. Say dawnnn key.