Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #301
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Woah!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...kindle-charges

40% more for non-US customers.

Gulp.

amjb
I just skimmed it, but they appear to fail to mention how much higher of a list price UK publishers charge to start with.

For example Audrey Niffenegger's new book Her Fearful Symmetry...

US list price $26.99 (approx £17.02)
UK list price £21.84 (approx $34.63)

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-09-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added example
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #302
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I just skimmed it, but they appear to fail to mention how much higher of a list price UK publishers charge to start with.

For example Audrey Niffenegger's new book Her Fearful Symmetry...

US list price $26.99 (approx £17.02)
UK list price £21.84 (approx $34.63)
Rip-Off Britain
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #303
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
As well as the Guardian article mentioned (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...kindle-charges), Pocketlint have taken up the story of excessive charges:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2782...s-charged-more
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #304
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Rip-Off Britain
I guess, but that's the publishers doing. Any pbooks I've bought from the UK has also had a higher cover price than their US counterpart.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #305
eaderigt
eaderigt began at the beginning.

Device: all of them
Hi All,
I was just wondering if anyone thought of this:
- I already own a Kindle II and live in The Netherlands. Will that device be able to work like an international kindle at this point? Or in the future? (i just turned the wireless on, but there is no wireless now.))

eaderigt
eaderigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #306
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaderigt View Post
Hi All,
I was just wondering if anyone thought of this:
- I already own a Kindle II and live in The Netherlands. Will that device be able to work like an international kindle at this point? Or in the future? (i just turned the wireless on, but there is no wireless now.))

eaderigt
I don't think so. The wireless module in the Intl edition is different tech.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #307
barrow
barrow began at the beginning.

Device: Want: Kindle 2 / Cybook Gen3 / Sony Daily Reader
Quote:
I'm not sure where you got this idea. From the Kindle manual:

Quote:
You can choose the dictionary you want to use when you look up words while you are reading. The default is The New Oxford American Dictionary included on your Kindle, but you can change your dictionary choice after purchasing an alternate compatible dictionary at the Kindle Store.
That's right Bob, it does say that in the manual. However anecdotal evidence in the past seems to have unanimously agreed that despite this assurance, when people have bought Kindles they have learnt that it is not possible to make a non-English dictionary perform this default, "look up", operation. Which is kind of a problem if you're reading a non-English document!

However, taken from one of the subsequent posts, if the following is true...

Quote:
You can use the DRMed Mobipocket dictionaries. Strip them from DRM and then set them as default. I've done so with German-English dictionary. Works flawlessly. And of course, there are tons of .prc dictionaries for purchase.
...then it would seem that Amazon now allow non-English dictionaries to operate in such a fashion. VERY VERY HAPPY . Or should that be très très heureux! Thanks MGMueller!
barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #308
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well well well...the Kindle goes international...two years too late, but at least they finally did it. There are still lots's of things to be worked out I guess, but it's a promising start, I hope the pricing discrepancies will be sorted out soon.

Now I just have to find a way to fit a Kindle into the house-building budget not too long after I impulsively bought a Sony Reader...damn...

One thing that puzzles me thought...why would I have to order the Kindle from amazon.com, importing it directly from the US instead of just getting it from amazon.de???

Last edited by CommanderROR; 10-09-2009 at 08:00 PM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #309
peajayar
peajayar began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
New Zealand is not included in the range of countries in which Kindle will be sold. Has the highest per capita of population who read/buy books. Go figure.
peajayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #310
barrow

Quote:
New Zealand is not included in the range of countries in which Kindle will be sold. Has the highest per capita of population who read/buy books. Go figure.
The per capita thing wouldn't matter really. The small population of the country probably sends New Zealand down the list of priorities, simple as that. Sure there's other small countries that Amazon are selling too, but, for example, if a problem came up in terms of negotiating wireless matters or something in NZ, then it might take longer to resolve than for a larger country/bigger account.

Another reason that the per capita argument is irrelevant to Amazon (although its a great point in the context that you make it), is that I think part of Amazon's plans for world domination reflect that they are convinced that the Kimble isn't just going to be sold to people who already read, but rather re-introduce reading to people who don't currently do so. According to Amazon, Amazon is going to re-literate the world.

Anyway, there's no reason why it won't be made available to you soon. Oh, and good luck tonight against Bahrain (if you know what I'm talking about!).

Last edited by barrow; 10-09-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #311
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
That's right Bob, it does say that in the manual. However anecdotal evidence in the past seems to have unanimously agreed that despite this assurance, when people have bought Kindles they have learnt that it is not possible to make a non-English dictionary perform this default, "look up", operation. Which is kind of a problem if you're reading a non-English document!

However, taken from one of the subsequent posts, if the following is true...

...then it would seem that Amazon now allow non-English dictionaries to operate in such a fashion. VERY VERY HAPPY . Or should that be très très heureux! Thanks MGMueller!
Some snapshots, using the German-English dictionary.
Bought from mobipocket.com.
Has been a DRMed .prc dictionary. Just had to strip from DRM, copy to Kindle and define as standard dictionary.

Pic 1: Choosing the standard dictionary.
Pic 2: Instant lookup in the (new) standard dictionary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07262.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	906.9 KB
ID:	37184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07266.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	940.6 KB
ID:	37185  

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-09-2009 at 10:50 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #312
barrow

Awesome work mgmueller. I'm excited now. Thankyou so much for clearing this matter up.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #313
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
The per capita thing wouldn't matter really. The small population of the country probably sends New Zealand down the list of priorities, simple as that. Sure there's other small countries that Amazon are selling too, but, for example, if a problem came up in terms of negotiating wireless matters or something in NZ, then it might take longer to resolve than for a larger country/bigger account.
So what's their excuse with Canada? the second largest country in the world?
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #314
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
So what's their excuse with Canada? the second largest country in the world?
By area yes. But by population, not so much... around 40th or so.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #315
ungmam
ungmam began at the beginning.

Device: SE P1i
dunno what their consideration really
we in indonesia believe that we are a very promising market, just see what BB and iPhone hype had happened here

and, oh, timor leste managed to get into the list
ungmam is offline   Reply With Quote