Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #391
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
You're not helping yourself. He very distinctly said that he doesn't care about updates to the Galaxy Player. And he very distinctly said why. If you can't see that he views a media player like his Galaxy Player to be a very different type of device from a prospective tablet (as do I, for exactly the same reasons), then this is really a pointless discussion.
It's a very generous interpretation, but unfortunately a false one, though he is happy to have have fooled you into arguing it for him. Meanwhile, I'm just happily teasing out the contradictions in his arguments. Case in point: earlier in the thread, he writes, "[The iPad mini and the iPod touch] have weaker specs and features compared to their older siblings, the iPad and iPhone respectively. It's Apple's way to force you to upgrade if specs and features matter to you." Apple is money-grubbing and extortionate, of course. But once the conversation turns to his own media player, which by his admission is "gimped compared to its contemporary smartphone cousins," there is mysteriously no mention of Samsung's motivations for doing so. Nor when Samsung refuses to update the OS after two years are they chastised; instead, everything is explained and justified away. Oh, he didn't really need those things anyway, so it doesn't matter. Too bad for anyone else who did, though. If sure if I bothered to look outside this thread I could find dozens of instances of hypocrisy like the above. Would be amusing—if not very worthwhile—to put together a dossier, as he put it.

These apply whether we're discussing OS updates or absent features. Always a double standard. Not very hard to spot when you look for it.
Quote:
The only thing I use my iPod Touch for is music. And, very rarely, as a web surfing device of last resort. If it never gets another update during its lifespan, I don't care. The same is not true of my iPad; I read books, I surf the web extensively, I email, I watch movies, etc. I believe I speak for the simian (correct me if I'm wrong), when I say that, as I do, he views them as different classes of device. And the media player does not need and probably would not benefit from (considering his use) an update.
Considering one of the principal criticisms of Android prior to Jelly Bean was that it stuttered and lagged while changing screens, any individual and device could benefit from an update, regardless of use.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #392
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
It is unfortunately necessary to combat trolling.
Pot...Kettle...Black.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #393
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Pot...Kettle...Black.
Changed your title from Android Crusader? Guess wearing it like a badge wasn't the best sign of objectivity.

I haven't seen you in the Nexus thread. Probably because I haven't posted there.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #394
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Changed your title from Android Crusader? Guess wearing it like a badge wasn't the best sign of objectivity.

I haven't seen you in the Nexus thread. Probably because I haven't posted there.
LOL! I just noticed your title.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #395
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
If only the Nexus 4 had a microSD slot or double the storage for the same price THEN I would join you. Given the size of some apps and games, plus media, 8GB (actual available space is lower) greatly reduces the usefulness of the handset.

As things stand now, I'll buy a 16GB Samsung Galaxy SII new for $299 (no contract T-Mobile) and pay $10 to unlock it.
I was able to buy a brand new no-contract AT&T 16GB Galaxy SII for $220. Since I use StraightTalk on an AT&T iPhone 4, no need to unlock (yet).
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 AM   #396
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
If only the Nexus 4 had a microSD slot or double the storage for the same price THEN I would join you. Given the size of some apps and games, plus media, 8GB (actual available space is lower) greatly reduces the usefulness of the handset.

As things stand now, I'll buy a 16GB Samsung Galaxy SII new for $299 (no contract T-Mobile) and pay $10 to unlock it.
Quote:
I was able to buy a brand new no-contract AT&T 16GB Galaxy SII for $220. Since I use StraightTalk on an AT&T iPhone 4, no need to unlock (yet).
Glad it worked out for you; but for me, I'm still leaning heavily for a Nexus phone if ever I'm in the market for a new media player.

I was hoping Google would lower the price of the Galaxy Nexus after they replaced it with the Nexus 4; but instead, they removed it and stopped all sales.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #397
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Pot...Kettle...Black.
bzzz, bzzz, bzzz, ...

I'll bring up the swatter, Captain!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #398
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Isn't "very large number" relative as well? Here's what I think will happen: This version of the Mini will sell fairly well, but not enough to threaten the Kindle Fire or the N7 in this size category. And it won't approach the success of the original larger iPad. Some say Apple's aim is not to compete with the 7" tablets -- that they see the Mini as a breed apart -- but I think they very much want to dominate in the 7-8" category.

Not sure how you can say the original iPad was a "failure" in any sense. Sure, the ppi was slightly less than the best iOS devices at that time, but the overall technological package represented something new and unique back then, and right out of the box, it worked just as advertised. Its performance was superb. I agree with those who consider the original iPad to be innovative. From the start, I thought it would sell well due to the fact it was the only real option for tablets at the time.

--Pat
Let me rephrase that. I didn't mean the original iPad was a failure. I only thought it would be. I looked at it and said "That's just an overgrown iPod. If I'm going to spend that much money on a computing device I want to be able to use it as, you know, a computing device, not a toy. Like a netbook."

Obviously I have never had the same vision Steve Jobs did. Although I still haven't found much need for an Android or iOS tablet. Our Nook Color gets very little use. The Surface is probably the closest to what I want in a tablet right now, but the lack of apps and Microsoft's closed ecosystem really stinks, and is not what I expected from them.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #399
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
The apps. The OS is fine. A little laggy, crashes a bit more...but that's not where the serious difference lays.

As for "which apps" -- ALL apps. I've yet to find ONE that is on par with the iPad. Not saying one doesn't exist...just that of the apps I use, if they exist on Android at all (and most do), they are phone apps, not tablet apps.
Well, Google Reader for example. On the iPad you have to pay for such an app and it is not better.

Google Calender, pdf-readers, and so on.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #400
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The apps. The OS is fine. A little laggy, crashes a bit more...but that's not where the serious difference lays.
Oh, really? Next time you go bashing around, check your facts first.

Quote:
...found iOS crashes to number more than twice those of Android applications.
Quote:
Apple's iOS 5.0.1 was the most crash-inclined version of all, accounting for 28.64 percent of crashes between Dec. 1 and Dec. 15. iOS 4.2.10 accounted for 12.64 percent, iOS 4.3.3 for 10.66 percent and iOS 4.3.5 for 8.9 percent.
Source

Quote:
In the top quartile of apps, Android apps crashed 0.15% of the time they launched, while top quartile iOS apps crashed 0.51% of the time. In the second quartile of apps, Android apps crashed 0.73% of the time and iOS apps crashed 1.47% of their launches. In the third quartile of apps, Android apps crashed 2.97% of the time, while iOS apps crashed 3.66% of the time.
Quote:
On a basic level, you can see that iOS apps crashed more than Android apps during this time period.
Source
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	app-crashes1.png
Views:	155
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	95225   Click image for larger version

Name:	crashes-ios-android-1.png
Views:	140
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	95232  

Last edited by afv011; 10-31-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Add attachments
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #401
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'd definitely agree with IOS crashing a lot more but they do a good job of covering it up to the end user so most of the time so it's not something that's noticed as much as it should be.

Last time I checked my iTunes crash logs there were literally dozens of crashes a day most seemingly down to lack of memory on the devices.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #402
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Oh, really? Next time you go bashing around, check your facts first.
He wasn't bashing, in fact he said the OS was "fine".
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #403
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
He wasn't bashing, in fact he said the OS was "fine".
Fair enough, I'll accept that the poster was simply misinformed when posting incorrect information about Android.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #404
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
The Surface is probably the closest to what I want in a tablet right now, but the lack of apps and Microsoft's closed ecosystem really stinks, and is not what I expected from them.
Well, that's true of the (ARM-based) Surface RT. It's not true of the forthcoming (x86-based) Surface Pro, or any of the other non-RT Windows 8 tablets (whether forthcoming or already released).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #405
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
As for "which apps" -- ALL apps. I've yet to find ONE that is on par with the iPad. Not saying one doesn't exist...just that of the apps I use, if they exist on Android at all (and most do), they are phone apps, not tablet apps.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Windows 8 tablets. While Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share a lot of things in common, they're definitely not exactly the same so tablet apps ought to not feel like phone apps. Windows might be the only eco-system with a shot at actually supplanting iOS in both quality and quantity over time, at least on the tablet side.

And I know the original discussion was limited only to Android tablets and iPad apps, but if we're looking for a competing tablet app that beats the iPad, I think Microsoft Office for Windows 8 tablets has a shot. Got my Surface today, and was blown away by how full-featured Office is on the tablet. And this is just the preview edition of Office, the final full version is coming as a free downloadable update when it's ready.

Android has been tremendously successful on the phone side of things, but despite efforts by Google and Android licencees it seems to have struggled somewhat on the tablet side, this despite (with apologies to WebOS and the Playbook) it being the only serious competition to the iPad up until now. The entry of Windows 8 into the tablet space is more of a problem for Android than iOS, especially with Samsung, Acer, and most other prominent Android tablet makers also releasing Windows 8 tablets.

Last edited by scrapking; 11-01-2012 at 12:55 AM.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote