Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
rmc4139
rmc4139 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Nook 1.5 or Kindle 3?

I've been completely unable to make up my mind as to which ereader I want to purchase. While I don't have any trouble or discomfort reading on backlit LCDs, I do find the e-ink screen to be almost relaxing to view in comparison. With that in mind, I narrowed it down to the Nook and Kindle 3. I really love the screen on the Kindle 3, but I've read that with the 1.5 update that the Nook's text appears bolder than on previous firmware. I like the LendMe technology of the Nook, and two of my friends have Nooks so that would be nice. I have also read that Kindles will soon be getting a similar feature, but that doesn't do much for me when I don't know any Kindle owners.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by rmc4139; 12-09-2010 at 09:44 PM.
rmc4139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I personally think the lend me feature is crap since you can only do it once per book and only for 14 days... but yes, the Kindle is also going to be getting the feature.
I have used the nook and kindle and I just have a hard time using the touch screen for some reason. It is like my mind starts using the tough screen and then wants to move up and touch the e-ink screen... I also find the nook sluggish and I need to jab at the screen a couple times for it to do anything.
On the plus side you do have the ability to walk into a B&N store and read a book for an hour per day and not have to buy the book. that is something you cannot do with a kindle (or any other e-reader)

The Kindle 3 also has the new pearl e-screen that is better than what the nook has so the contrast is better (in my opinion)

The Kindle 3 is also smaller than the nook but I dont know if that is a issue with you.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
rmc4139
rmc4139 began at the beginning.

The weight difference is definitely noticeable, but not really an issue, although I'd never really be comfortable reading in bed with an iPad. I have a Barnes and Noble on campus, so that'd be a plus. I've read a few chapters on a Nook before without any trouble, sans the horrendous web-browsing. The text was definitely readable, but obviously not as crisp as the Kindle's. However, I also really like that I could read library books on a Nook.
rmc4139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
matthewsackmann
matthewsackmann began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Get a sony!

Seriously, have you given a look at the new Sony's? They are fantastic! I did a lot of research and hands-on comparison before I chose the Sony 950. I absolutely love it.
Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but it plays DRM-free epubs, has a larger screen, new pearl e-ink, touchscreen is very responsive.

And this coming from a Barnes and Noble employee. But I haven't had a chance to look at the 1.5 Nook update yet...

Especially if you're a student. That was one of the reasons I got it, to replace all the PDFs I've had to print out over the years. Now I can just mark them up with my notes with the included stylus.

For me, it basically came down to the Kindle 3G vs. Sony PRS-950. And the touchscreen for highlighting and notetaking is what pushed me Sony's way.
matthewsackmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Nook 1.5 - kindles are ugly and dont support epub, Sony's, though really nice, are waay overpriced, all arrows point to the Nook v.1.5 see easy decision

Last edited by boswd; 12-10-2010 at 11:58 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love my Kindle. But your decision to buy an e-reader should be based on what you need it to do. Are you going to be using it for day to day reading? Are you going to be using it to read PDFs? Do you want to check books out of the library?

The Kindle works well for me. I don't check books out of the library and I don't need to read PDFs. I like Amazons bookstore, it is the largest around, and I love Amazons customer service. I like that I can download books anywhere in the Globe.

I don't like touchscreens. Just don't like them so the Sony's were not something I was interested in. I like longer battery life, so the Nook is not something I am interested in.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Like ProfCrash said, please forget about device's name, brand or how cool it looks! 1st question must be: what kind of books do I read and like. I think e-readers are like motorcycles, ;-) you should buy something according to your skills and purpose, not just popularity or "coolness". Please answer your self that question and I suggest following these steps:

-Make a list of 20 books you like: 10 you would like to buy, 10 pbooks you would like to read again with your e-reader
-Write down how many you found on B&N or Amazon (these are the biggest online stores in USA)
-Make a "UNION" , common books on those, and compare prices.

Once you get a better picture that way, for instance, most of your books are found on B&N and with better prices, move to next step which is checking the e-reader that store is currently selling. That should be your 1st choice.

My 2 cents: if you truly like reading, long reading sessions and for hours and hours, stay away from LCD devices.

Whatever you decide, I would suggest narrow your search to these devices on that order: Kindle 3, Nook 1st generation, Sony (the most recent one with touch screen)
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Of course nook is better !
Imagine yourself clung to amazon store !!A lot of digital titles are missing from their Kindle store.
I love Nook but we cannot buy them here in Canada.
With Kindle you have no choice but to remove illegally the DRM protection if you buy from other stores and this is not sure and easy at all.
You may pay your titles and read it in the most awkward display format. no margins or you may not be even able to read your purchased title
Please look at my other post about removing DRM to see how Kindle owners are suffering about this DRM pain.
Kindle is 100% clung to amazon you call them yourself.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
Of course nook is better !
Imagine yourself clung to amazon store !!A lot of digital titles are missing from their Kindle store.
I love Nook but we cannot buy them here in Canada.
With Kindle you have no choice but to remove illegally the DRM protection if you buy from other stores and this is not sure and easy at all.
You may pay your titles and read it in the most awkward display format. no margins or you may not be even able to read your purchased title
Please look at my other post about removing DRM to see how Kindle owners are suffering about this DRM pain.
Kindle is 100% clung to amazon you call them yourself.
Can you please support your argument?

You have a Nook, you buy a book from B&N, still is DRM protected! Yes, you can read it probably on a Sony, but what's the point? How many e-readers do you buy or have in your house (different brand)

Please do not make assumptions or arguments based on your own book's preference. I could say a lot of books are missing from B&N, which is true on my case, I read technical books, not just novels or bios.

Who told you when you convert from MOBI to EPUB, or viceversa, you will get distorted books? How many books you have converted? I've converted several books via Calibre, even technical books, and they look exactly the same! I'm sorry, but you are not converting your books in the proper way or you are were converting a very complex layout, with tons of graphics and pictures.

Stop being passionate, and talk with facts! I used to own a Nook and guess what, B&N books were DRM protected!

Give a fair advice, explain people that they should buy a device based on what they read, not what you like.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
Kindle cannot read RDM Mobit books, it can only read non protected ebooks, this means thousands of titles are missing.
With ePub readers, you can find anything you want.
Your sign makes me laugh!

Why would I need to buy or get a book in epub or any other format if I have a Kindle? Same book is on Amazon for same price or lower. Amazon is the biggest online book retailer in USA. If you don't know that, you've being living in a bubble.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-10-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Why would I need to buy or get a book in epub format if I have a Kindle? Same book is on Amazon for same price or lower. Amazon is the biggest online book retailer in USA. If you don't know that, you've being living in a bubble.
Of course if you read only fiction novel why would you need to buy ePub books ?
Kindle store fits completely your needs !
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you please support your argument?

You have a Nook, you buy a book from B&N, still is DRM protected! Yes, you can read it probably on a Sony, but what's the point? How many e-readers do you buy or have in your house (different brand)

Please do not make assumptions or arguments based on your own book's preference. I could say a lot of books are missing from B&N, which is true on my case, I read technical books, not just novels or bios.

Who told you when you convert from MOBI to EPUB, or viceversa, you will get distorted books? How many books you have converted? I've converted several books via Calibre, even technical books, and they look exactly the same! I'm sorry, but you are not converting your books in the proper way or you are were converting a very complex layout, with tons of graphics and pictures.

Stop being passionate, and talk with facts! I used to own a Nook and guess what, B&N books were DRM protected!

Give a fair advice, explain people that they should buy a device based on what they read, not what you like.

actully distortion is real possibility. I exported a about 150 books to my friend who has a Kindle he converted from ePub to Mobi and at leat 30 books were ruined. A few books were just one paragraph throughout the entire book. Other's would have random paragraph breaks in mid sentence and in some cases mid word.

So yeah converting does not always mean it's going to come out nice.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:

Why would I need to buy or get a book in epub or any other format if I have a Kindle? Same book is on Amazon for same price or lower. Amazon is the biggest online book retailer in USA. If you don't know that, you've being living in a bubble.
To me the big advangtage besides Library's is the ability to shop when others are running sales and promotions. For example Kobo books has been sending my wife 30% off coupons, she's a member, and it's great. Getting books that normally go for around $10 and get them for $7.

It happens all the time. When all then are equal sure shopping at your home platform is just ultra convienant but shopping around is great and you can save a ton of money.

Think about this way, you want a good technical book library to choose from right? The ebook industry is really starting to pick up the pace and is growing in leaps and bounds. Who's to say someone wont jump on this obvious void in the ebook industry for technical books and start up an ebook store and uses ePub or BN's NookStudy just takes off and grows.

Last edited by boswd; 12-10-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
actully distortion is real possibility. I exported a about 150 books to my friend who has a Kindle he converted from ePub to Mobi and at leat 30 books were ruined. A few books were just one paragraph throughout the entire book. Other's would have random paragraph breaks in mid sentence and in some cases mid word.

So yeah converting does not always mean it's going to come out nice.
Question for you: why should I convert a book if I can read it on my device? If Kindle customers are happy with the books they have and found on Amazon, why should they try and convert to epub, if they just don't own a Nook?

The opposite is also true. If you have an epub formatted book, why would you like to convert to MOBI, if you just don't own a Kindle? The only explanation, to either case, is if you changed your device (Nook for Kindle or Kindle for Nook) on which case, you can't anyway, not in a legal way, because both are DRM protected books.

I've experienced zero problems converting DRM free books from epub to mobi and/or mobi to epub. It would be good for you to check Calibre settings and the chosen layout.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Think about this way, you want a good technical book library to choose from right? The ebook industry is really starting to pick up the pace and is growing in leaps and bounds. Who's to say someone wont jump on this obvious void in the ebook industry for technical books and start up an ebook store and uses ePub or BN's NookStudy just takes off and grows.
When that happens, 3, 4 or 5 years later, the MS-SQL, Oracle or whatever book I have is too old to keep! At that point I don't want that book anymore. That could be true if we're talking about "El Quijote" or "Cien años de Soledad" or any other classic which has been immortalized already. Those books are easily to convert, pure text, like same way I can convert an mp3 Beethoven's symphony to OGG so I can play it without additional drivers on my Linux box.

Neither you or I can tell for sure, which electronic format will finally stay or survive, it could be that the market will keep supporting two or three, at the same time. Everything depends of the sales and what people buy. And people are buying more Kindle books than B&N books, the sales are there, you can Google that.