Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #46
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have a Lightwedge for paperbacks and it is a pain to use with the reader. You have to move it out of the way each time you want to turn the page. (It makes me want to have a remote for the reader.) Also when you are reading with it it is awkward to hold. It does work, sorta, but a reading light is much better.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:55 PM   #47
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
I then ordered a few more books, and find now that the same largest size is smaller than before. On all these new books, what is now the largest size is what was the next-to-largtest (150%) on the others.

Any idea what is going on? Do different publishers have different size type?

I called Sony and eventually got to the Connect support guy, and took a long time to make him understand. He finally checked it and admitted it was smaller, but had no idea why. Great!

As I told him, the main reason I got the Reader is because I need large type to read. Now I'm stuck with a device that does not let me read and six books I bought that can't read either.Any suggestions?
For Aprilbeginnings and others who justly are questioning just what Large font sizes we are talking about, and what size they really are, I decided to measure tham as best I could.

The book "Vanguard Book One" and "Acts of Treason" that I got early on, had the Large size in the horizontal position larger than subsequent books, such as "Echo Park," etc. These were one
size smaller in the largest size.

In the former larger size, I measured the height of a capital letter "H." In the first, largest size, it was 5 mm or 6/32 of an inch.

In the rest, all smaller, the same letter was only 4 mm, or 5/32 of an inch.

That is a significant difference in type size, and accounts for my distress at not being able to get the larger size any more.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #48
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
i just learned that landscape mode had bigger letters than portrait.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #49
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
i just learned that landscape mode had bigger letters than portrait.
That is true and if one wishes to hold the ebook in that manner. I very well may do this to read the purchased books just so I will be able to. I have tried landscape mode and really wasn't pleased with it, it seemed the text at the bottom was a lot lighter to read.

Right now my main problem is I am falling asleep while I read and not getting to read, LOL..... Yesterday I dropped the book a couple of times as I dozed (my reason I would never read the tub)......that would be actual death to my reader. (tiny bubbles).............Today I am dozing as well. Yes the book is good, it's just something I have done forever because I like to read on the couch laying down, guess I get to comfy.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I have tried landscape mode and really wasn't pleased with it, it seemed the text at the bottom was a lot lighter to read.
It is, those are the lines that will be at the top of the next 'page' after you change it -- an attempt to kind of knit the pages together, you see. I don't really find it helpfull either.

As for the dropping thing, I recommend a wrist lanyard for that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #51
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
It is, those are the lines that will be at the top of the next 'page' after you change it -- an attempt to kind of knit the pages together, you see. I don't really find it helpfull either.

As for the dropping thing, I recommend a wrist lanyard for that.
The wrist lanyard is probably a good idea...... is that what that little opening on the left is for? Seems small, wonder where I would find something for that, unless I just make one out of crotchet thread or something. I guess anything would work you think?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #52
Lisana
GadgetGirl
Lisana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader / eBookman (currently misplaced)
Color totally wouldn't match, but my 'old' Wii remote strap (that they are sending a replacement for) would probably work. I'm not going to be swinging my reader around like that, LOL! I don't remember if the PSP actually came with a strap, I should look around and try to find it. It would say Sony, even.
Lisana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do Sony actually sell a wrist strap as an accessory? Seems a bit strange to have a connector for one and not supply it! I didn't realise that there was any sort of "standard" for the way that these things attached .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #54
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

I haven't seen one listed in the accessories, just the charger and the colored bookcases
Old 12-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I haven't seen one either, hence the question .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #56
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I used one that came with SanDisk USB Cruzer USB stick. Works great
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #57
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm using one I picked up at a camera shop, any of them with a small enough thready thingy will work. And no, Sony doesn't offer one. I remarked to them that I thought it was odd that they didn't include one with the Reader. As a side note, the Sony reps. at the Texas Book Festival were using PSP wrist lanyards.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote