Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #24436
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
When I woke up this morning
You were on my mind
And you were on my mind
I got troubles, whoa-oh
I got worries, whoa-oh
I got wounds to bind

So I went to the corner
Just to ease my pains
Yeah, just to ease my pains
I got troubles, whoa-oh
I got worries, whoa-oh
I came home again

When I woke up this morning
You were on my mi-i-i-ind and
You were on my mind
I got troubles, whoa-oh
I got worries, whoa-oh
I got wounds to bind

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LEhF0IQju8 )

Good morning, all! Today is the day!! Double shot of unbranded Keemun tea beside a small bowl of miso soup, rice, and tsukemono. No more than 150cal, then it's out the door for a 5km walk. Time to drop another 10kg. I've got about 6 weeks before we move, and I want it all off by then!

I can. And I will.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #24437
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
(excerpts from my travel journal for western China; please excuse bad grammar and others......bad wifi. And enough of politics; that's another section altogether, but...cultural scientist eh.... )

(11-04 Xiáhè)
After a Tibetan breakfast with yak yoghurt, unsaltened bread, an omelette and green tea I'm all set to go. A bit cold 2 C, but the sun is out, though the wind is fierce on the bare mountains.
On to the monastery: soft flute music, banging on copper bowls and the heavy humming/praying of monks is what I hear from afar. I see some monks with their special yellow hat (Geluka). And I watch many Tibetan pilgrims walk the Kora, the 3 kilometer pilgrims path around and through the monastery: clockwise, touching and making the large prayer wheels spin; some prostrate themselves. They wear a long dark wool lined coat, with for some reason one sleeve not worn( tucked away) and a rope or red cloth knotted around it. Some have small children on their back and often they carry yellow/ brown prayer beads or a small prayer wheel.

First sight is the Barkhang, the monastery's traditional printing press. My actual ticket is a print on a cloth. I admire the printing library; a huge beautiful decorated room with shelves full of wooden printing blocks ( over 20,000) for holy and secular texts. In the annexe, monks roll small strips of bright yellow/orange cloth and bind them tightly with yellow thread for the altars. Others print on different colored cloths with blocks, by hand. All sit on the floor.

Next I line up for the (Chinese) tour of the other buildings, by a monk. The buddhists in the group pray and give money. Many of the chapel halls are illuminated by yak butter lamps, which I now recognize as the same distinct smell of my hotel room. Pilgrims hurry past us, for the different altars inside are also part of the Kora. I visit the Institute of Medicine, the Serkung or Golen Temple, the golden roofed Main Prayer Hall and a museum of relics.

And all is richly decorated with vivid colors; especially red and gold. Beautiful carved and painted woodwork everywhere. The roofs of the important buildings are gold covered. The Tibetan stupa's are a dazzling white. At the divers altars stand gold like statues of Buddha and Boddhisattva's (the enlightened ones that prefered to stay on this earth to help mankind). The yak butter lamps illuminate only a part of the interior and, with the shuffling of the dark red robed monks, the shine of gold, the chanting and the rush of pilgrims seeking spiritual fulfilment........it is a mysterious and ageless place to be.

In the afternoon I explore Xiáhè, which is but one long road. I make a tour of the shops as well, of course..... When walking from the monastery up this road I see that the Tibetan part looks poor, with dirty shops, poorly dressed and there are beggars, also children. Monks do their shopping here as well; dark red cloth, trinkets, food and they play a kind of Chinese chess on the pavement: large round pieces with Chinese charakters( at least 12) on a board divided in two, with vert/ hor/ diag lines. The monks are of importance for the economics of this community. There's a relaxed atmosphere, friendly and helpful.

And dinner nearby: boiled patato and greens, a beer. As in other meals there's a chopped red pepper or two in every dish. This must surely keep all travellers germs at bay.
There are not many restaurants in this region, so I sometimes feel like an orphan; knocking on doors for some food. And eating my slippery greens with chopsticks while being under scrutiny of all the rest of the folks......I am an interesting sight as a foreigner. I don't mind and am used to it now, as well to eating in vest, jack and scarf. Well, Xiáhè is at 3000 metres.

I must have photographed about every other monk of this monastery by now. And I had vowed to myself to be very selective in photographing. Well.......digital eh....2x16 GB sdhc.....small camera 14,1 pixels, 20x zoom.....lense 24 mm wide........I'm good.

Back in the hotel.....an intruder in paradise....a Large Tibetan crockroach in the bathroom.( shiver, shrug). Early night; being a traveller is hard work! I sleep like a log every night.

(12-04 Xiáhè)
Nice breakfast, no electricity, no wifi, but a glorious sunny and nippy day.
The Hall of Hayagriva or Hall of the Horsehead Buddha is the first today. It was destroyed in the 70ies, but reopened some 7 years ago. There is a fierce 12 meter effigy of Hayagriva, a Boddhisattva on the wall, with 6 arms and three faces. As this holy place is on the Kora, pilgrims hurry-sometimes run- by; walking with a stick, or wheezing and often as not a cloth around the head.

Then the Mandsjuri temple which I can't enter today. Monks in the courtyard clean the small copper bowls for the yak butter. Conifer twigs burn in the stoves. I buy a string of brow prayer beads in front of the temple.
The Gong tang pagoda I see next, is build in 1805 in the tang style (7th century). It is 5 storeys high and its green slanted roofs are gold-bordered. On all edges are statues of golden fire spewing dragons and on the top the golden figures for sun, moon and stars. Around the building are copper prayer wheels, held in constant motion by the pilgrims. There are many copper Buddha's in the thousand- Buddha hall and around, also murals in vivid colors. Beautiful all.

Copper cymbals accompagny the dance practice of the monks I see next. ( teenager)monks tie their legs together ( ca.20 cm apart) and practise twirling. Others try to synchronize their dance movements by them.

Walking to the cental square, monks with yak butter-statues hurry past. There is a gathering in front of a temple. People are dressed 'to the nines'; especially the around 4 years old who wear bright colored silk finery. When the long copper horns sound, all go inside. Must be an initiation of some kind.

To see a bit more of the Tibetan community I go up the mountain. Very rural all; there is electricity, but water has to be drawn from a pump. And dusty, incredibly dirty. Nicely carved wooden doors, low arches and a wide stone gutter at each side of the street. Long haired, long twisted horned goats seek food and grey speckled pigs ramble past. They all have a different colored cloth around the neck.

Hurrah, electricity for the village by mid- afternoon. By that time I was ready to do something foolish for a cup of nescafé.

Dinner will be in the room: dried noodles and a banana.
Tomorrow a long day: by bus back to Lánzhōu and then the night train to Xī'ān.

In my cup: nescafé finally....

Last edited by desertblues; 04-12-2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Mistakes, mistakes
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #24438
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More great reporting, desertblue! Thanks! And more envy on my part.

Afternoon tea today is East India Company's Assam. After taking Felicity to the vet for her traveling vaccinations, I went for a 5km quick walk, and just beat the rain back to my house. Feels good to sit down again!

Stitchawl
Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #24439
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Hey all. Due o training at work I cannot log on in the day and Lucas, house stuff, tennis, and hubby keep me busy at night. I am reading but posting is a bit harder.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #24440
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
The Feng Shui attribute of South is fire. Putting anything wood in front will 'nourish' fire and bring good energy. But putting a water feature in the South will be destructive to fire, and as you saw, didn't work out very well. The Thais consider 'Chang' (the elephant) to be the best symbol of good luck and prosperity (unless of course, it is white...) Having it in your South-facing doorway can only be good!!
I also have a wood bench out front, so even better. Thanks for the information.
Quote:
But for wealth via Feng Shui, you need one of these inside your front door, facing inwards. It's a three-legged frog with a coin in its mouth sitting on a pile of gold bars. Guaranteed to make you rich!

<snip>Stitchawl
Umm.. that thing is ugly! I think my elephant is OK by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
(excerpts from my travel journal for western China; please excuse bad grammar and others......bad wifi. And enough of politics; that's another section altogether, but...cultural scientist eh.... )
<snip>

In my cup: nescafé finally....
Thanks! I love reading your updates and "experiencing" your trip through your words.

Fresh coffee in my cup and making my list of errands to get done today.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #24441
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My last Coke Zero of the day.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #24442
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I feel the earth move
Under my feet.
I feel the sky tumblin' down.
I feel my heart start
To tremblin' whenever you're around.[/quote]

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQ4m-NqeF8)

BIG EARTHQUAKE this morning! Shook us right out of bed! 6 on the Richter Scale with the epicenter only 26km away. No damage here, but man... I'm tired of earth quakes! I've survived three major ones already, and I really don't want a fourth! I know I'm lucky, but I don't want to push it!

7:30... Been up since 5:30 when the building started to rock and roll. Well, got a good start on the day, anyway. Today will be a Saturday walk though Osaka... speed walk, of course. But right now, I'm on my second mug of Taylors of Harrogate's "English Breakfast" tea. Breakfast is a small bowl of rice, four olives, and a few slices of prosciutto ham. About 150 calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I also have a wood bench out front, so even better. Thanks for the information.
Quote:
But for wealth via Feng Shui, you need one of these inside your front door, facing inwards. It's a three-legged frog with a coin in its mouth sitting on a pile of gold bars. Guaranteed to make you rich!
Quote:
Umm.. that thing is ugly!
That's probably why the Ancients told us it's OK not to have it 'visible.'
We keep ours down on the floor in the extreme corner by the door, hidden from view. It's only about 3" tall and round, so easy to hide.

Stitchawl
Old 04-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #24443
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Hey all. Due o training at work I cannot log on in the day and Lucas, house stuff, tennis, and hubby keep me busy at night. I am reading but posting is a bit harder.
I wondered where you were. Give that big boy a hug for me...
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #24444
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Big glass of lemon and lime juice on the rocks with club soda! Can you say 'Pucker?'

Stitchawl
Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #24445
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero #2.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #24446
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Black coffee and a cupcake my wife brought home from work last night. Diet? What diet?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #24447
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Black coffee and a cupcake my wife brought home from work last night. Diet? What diet?
'Some' of us take it more seriously than others....
I'm sitting here with a plate of salted celery sticks (and dreaming of crab and creamcheese dip...)

Stitchawl
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #24448
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nothing yet. Lucas got sick last night, first interrupted date night. He is currently napping on me after not wanting to eat or settle down for the hubby. The dogs are both napping while making sure to have at least a paw on me. Hubby is napping next to me.

And I have to pee.

Ahhhhhthe joys of Motherhood.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #24449
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
After a day filled with vacuuming, brushing & trimming cats, and then lawn mowing, I am relaxing with a tall glass of Campari, soda & ice! Refreshing!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #24450
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Skim Milk soon to go with my home made vegetable soup.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?