Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #16
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
Considering the general availability of these pirated files and the quite incredible number of downloads, not just today but even 5 years ago, I'm not that sure this is a brand new trend. although I'd certainly admit being able to put them on a device as confortable as an e-ink reader is brand new.
Precisely. It's not about supply at this point. Yes the books are out there. The demand for ebooks just hasn't been there to the extent it would make it threatening. The vast majority of the reading public still reads paper and doesn't even consider the idea of downloading a book, pirate or legal. The used book trade costs them way more than ebook piracy. I think that may shift as devices get better and cheaper.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
But come on, MOST of the people over 50 are not tech-savy in the broader sense. They might learn how to use any device, but it is not as much a part of their lives.
But, if you are a good business person you learn the market forces that affect your product... and technology is a big one. Back in the 1800s book publishers didn't have competition from TV and Movies. It's not about being tech savy but about being business savy.

Although, I do agree that some people get set in their ways, whether they are 30 or 60 and don't like to make changes. I would argue that this makes for a bad business person. Then again, Warren Buffet is still making billions and he says he doesn't invest in tech at all, because he doesn't understand it, the market or the business.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Ah, but in changing businesses, you always have the small set of business/tech savvy minority who understand the deep changes about to come; and then everyone else, just trying to stop the tide. Amazon was built during the .com bubble: young guys, seeing what is about to come. There were many who said they would fail and it took ten years for everyone else starting selling there wares on the net as well as in stores.

Sure, it won't matter in the end: I strongly believe reasonable priced eBooks are the ineluctable future. I just wished for the sake of my wallet that that ineluctable future would come sooner rather than later.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #19
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
@DDHariman:The top management of any major publisher has got to be 40 or more. The very top top management, more like in their 50s. Those people have had 40 years with paper books only. The old hands must have spent 30 years of their lives with one business model only. And at that age, chances are, you're computer illiterate, at least to some extend, unless of course you're a classy penguin called Bob.
Actually, I heard the publishing industry is a dying breed because young folks don't read anymore

I am over 40. I manage a team of analysts and software engineers...average age of probably 30. I am the only one with an ebook reader. The rest are still reading paper (One did try Stanza on his iPod but only because his dinosaur boss told him about it )

That being said, Bob is classy and exceptional.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Amazon was built during the .com bubble: young guys, seeing what is about to come.
btw- Jeff Bezos was born in 1964
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #21
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
OK, let's have a show (wave) of hands...

Who's older than Jeff Bezos and readily embraces new technology but more particularly is "into" ebook readers...

Count me in...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #22
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

Who's older than Jeff Bezos and readily embraces new technology but more particularly is "into" ebook readers...

Count me in...
I'm old too.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #23
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Precisely. It's not about supply at this point. Yes the books are out there. The demand for ebooks just hasn't been there to the extent it would make it threatening. The vast majority of the reading public still reads paper and doesn't even consider the idea of downloading a book, pirate or legal. The used book trade costs them way more than ebook piracy. I think that may shift as devices get better and cheaper.
I don't think they will even have to get cheaper. I foresee textbooks moving to primarily electronic format at Universities in the next five years. This will create a rapidly growing public awareness of ebooks.

I don't see an ebook reader competing with a book. I see it competing with a bookcase, so as long as the price is competitive with a bookcase then they will do alright.

=
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #24
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:

Count me in...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #25
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:

Count me in...
Only by two years, but a friend of mine's mum, well into her sixties has appropriated her daughter's BeBook and simply loves it.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #26
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I will be 50 next year.

Steve Jobs is older than Bezos. So is Bill Gates

Anyway, ebooks are expensive because you have bad karma and that forces you to see them as expensive. My karma is a better in this regard and I think they are pretty cheap and frequently free.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #27
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
DARN, I'm from 1965
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #28
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Argh, so many old geezers waving their hands just to show me wrong!

I'm 10 years short form 1964, and I'm ALREADY set in my ways!!!

Last edited by Alfy; 01-08-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #29
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Who's old?

Quote:

Count me in...
I'm 12 years older than jeff B. & in e-reading big time!
YGG
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Actually, I heard the publishing industry is a dying breed because young folks don't read anymore

I am over 40. I manage a team of analysts and software engineers...average age of probably 30. I am the only one with an ebook reader. The rest are still reading paper (One did try Stanza on his iPod but only because his dinosaur boss told him about it )

That being said, Bob is classy and exceptional.
Here, we make the joke that education makes sure people don't like to read anymore after they finish high school.

But, I think, with the other ways of entertainment these days, people find it easier to watch a movie from the book rather than read the book (even though you miss around 90% of the contents...)

Not everybody read everything they could get their hands on... One reason for me to start reading electronically is because I'd have to buy a very big mansion to keep all the books I'd love to have.

About the price of ebooks, I think that depends on where you live. For me, electronic books are generally much cheaper than paper books. Not even taking into account the fact that the euro is worth more than the dollar, often the dollar price is lower than the euro price. (10 euro vs 7 dollar for the same book).

(my question would be, why aren't those "out-of-print" books not republished in electronic form!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote