Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
eisho
eisho began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
I'm interested mainly in pdf's, which one then ?

Hi
I'm looking to buy an eBook reader these days but I have two problems.
1) The budget
2) I want to be able to read pdf's (mainly from ebooks, nothing too fancy) without too many problems.

I think that my two option (due to my budget) are the Sony PRS 500 and the eBookwise. Which one would you recommend ?

Thanks

Last edited by eisho; 07-28-2008 at 04:51 AM.
eisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
lordmax
Enthusiast
lordmax began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Opus, cybook gen10, Palm LifeDrive, NetBookVaio, Kindle, Tolino
HI

None of the above.
The problem with pdf is that they're fixed in dimensions.
For a really good reading experience I must suggest the iLiad tha has a double video.
lordmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisho View Post
...are the Sony PRS 500 and the eBookwise. Which one would you recommend ?
Asus eee,
any tablet pc,
any seconhand notebook.

Support for pdf files on ALL readers is pathetic.
There is NO WAY of how to squeeze a complicated layout of pdf file formatted for A4 or Letter page on a 6" screen.

Go ahead.
Print out any of your pdf files on paper 90 x 120mm using a good dot matrix printer (cca 170DPI).
Is it readable?
I do not think so ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
With the Pdf option of reflowing text, and the “budget” thing… I can just advise one: The Sony but the 505 version (not the 500).

Also read the posts about the late firmware upgrade in the Sony forum. You will be able to make a more accurate decision then.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'll second the Sony Recommandation with a Caveat.
The 505's new firmware has helped a lot with diplaying pure tect PDF's, but It is probaly not going to work that well for Complex diagrams, etc.

However after saying that, and if you are will ing to accep some of the compromise (look around the sony Sub Forum), it is probably the best experience you will get for that size and price.

If you want the ability to refer to more technical books, with complex drawing and equations, or you want the ability mark up the text, the Illiad would probably offer a better, experience, but at the cost of size, price and battery life.

There are some new readers coming to the market in the next 6 months, so youmay want to consider waiting for those.

The Best advice I can give is that browse around the forum, look at the other posts, and you should probably find a ton of great advice.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 03:37 AM   #6
eisho
eisho began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
First of all, thanks for all the help !!!

The thing is that most of the pdf's I'll use are just text with no graphics and no diagrams.
eisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
eisho--

If that's the case the Sony 505 with the new firmware could work quite nicely for you--and it costs quite a bit less than the iLiad.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hanlin V3 is very powerful in formats/languages, including PDFS, and it has the highest
performance-price ratio. I have compared the devices of each model, V3 is my final choice!
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But did you compare the 505 to the V3 before the new firmware update or after?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote