Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Bug "IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied" when editing meta-data

Calibe 1.4.

Click "Edit metadata" for an existing book.
Remove all existing formats for the book (green recycle button).
Add a new format (red plus/book button).
Click "Set metadata for the book (blue info icon)".

Error:

Code:
calibre, version 1.4.0
ERROR: Permission denied: Could not open foo.epub. Is it being used by another program?

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 341, in cover_from_format
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\basic_widgets.py", line 864, in get_selected_format_metadata
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u"foo.epub"
Click OK, OK to exit Edit metadata.

Click Edit metadata again. "Set metadata for the book (blue info icon)" is now OK.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's almost certainly because some other program had the added file open, most likely an antivirus programor a file sync program like dropbox.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was my first thought too, except that the problem goes away once you OK out of Edit metadata.

Here is a bit from a procmon log:

Code:
18:12:07.7208513	calibre.exe	3556	1812	CreateFile	foo.epub	ACCESS DENIED	Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a
18:12:14.6419783	calibre.exe	3556	1812	CreateFile	foo.epub	SUCCESS	Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
18:12:07: Calibre tries to open the file with read/write when I click the Info button (Set meta data for the book from the selected format), this fails as some other process already has a write lock. I OK out of Edit metadata, go back in, and then press Info button again. This now works (18:12:14) as Calibre only wants a read lock this time.

Some other process has definitely got a lock on the file. If I exit Calibre and try and open the same file from Sigil I get the same error when I save. I have not been able to work out what is locking the file--procexp is no help.

But I am a little puzzled why the Info button in Calibre Edit metadata takes a read/write lock the first time and later just a read lock? The file is external to the Calibre database, so I would expect it to only use a read lock.

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by ShellShock; 09-22-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard

Of course, it would help if I removed the read attribute from the epub first!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Of course, it would help if I removed the read attribute from the epub first!
We've all been there at some time. Let me guess, you added the new format from a DVD or CD?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It uses a read write lock for legacy reasons, it does not actually write anything to the file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote