Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #1741
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Assuming you have the Rescue Pack installed, use that.

Barring that, that'll be trickier. If your USBNet setup is sane, enable SSH at boot, and be very, very fast with a one-liner ready to fix it.

Or, if the path you posted was a typo, and you modified a part of the framework that only applies to certain languages, do a hard factory reset.

And in the future, test-drive your changes. (i.e. never reboot until you're sure it works, upstart is your friend).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-28-2014 at 11:30 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #1742
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If you don't have the RescuePack installed now, but decide to install it after this adventure ( ) - -
Then you may wish to **ALSO** install the Coward's RescuePack Add-On.

That combination is intended for people who have a tendency to frequently brick their "main" mode.

(Although it doesn't help much for those who hijack a thread for a different topic.
JBpatch (this thread) is about modifying *.jar files **in memory** rather than on-disk.)

Last edited by knc1; 05-29-2014 at 01:27 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #1743
gianpaoloc
gianpaoloc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I just received my Kindle Paperwhite 2 (PW2) wifi only in Italy. Its serial number starts with 9017.

I really dislike the original margins so jailbroke the device, installed the usbnetwork hack then tried to install you "margins" hack.

Unfotunately the "Update your Kindle" menu item remains grayed out, whatever I do. I imagine this is a new kindle that requires a different Update_xxx.bin. Indeed, to jailbreak it I had to use the latest update provided by NiLuJe.

Any suggestion on how to proceed?
gianpaoloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #1744
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@gianpaoloc: Needs to be repacked w/ the latest kindletool snapshot.

Code:
kindletool convert Update_foo.bin
kindletool create ota2 -d paperwhite2 Update_foo_converted.tar.gz Update_foo.bin
Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #1745
gianpaoloc
gianpaoloc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It works perfectly.

Thanks a lot to NiLuJe for his quick reply and to ixtab and kaznelson for the hack.

Now, any suggestion on how to patch other languages? That would be perfect since I like to keep my kindle in italian (the language I read most of my ebooks)
gianpaoloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #1746
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gianpaoloc: kaznelson posted the full instructions in a couple of messages (all of them in this thread, all of them after the release post, IIRC).
Old 07-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #1747
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@gianpaoloc: The instructions: for margins and for fontsize change.

Instead of "*_en_GB.jar" you will need to do the edits for appropriate *_IT.jar files.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #1748
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@gianpaoloc: The instructions: for margins and for fontsize change.

Instead of "*_en_GB.jar" you will need to do the edits for appropriate *_IT.jar files.
The reason for doing it to the '*_en_GB.jar' files is because there are two '*_en_*' sets of jars ( _GB_ and _US_) -
You can mess one up and the other will still work.

Keep that in mind before you start editing your one and only set of *_IT.jar files.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #1749
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Coward's rescue pack FTW
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #1750
mandy314
Connoisseur
mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw1
@kaznelson
A very big thank you for the font-sizes and margin hacks.
And for the detailed documentation of variables and code to change a special - using your patch files I could get together my personal tweaks quite easily.

Btw - I'm not into Java, don't even have a Java VM on my Windows rig; the program I used (Dirty Joe) is straightforward imho and does the necessary things stand-alone.
mandy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #1751
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Margins and font-size hack for PW2 5.4.5(.1):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1431

Last edited by kaznelson; 08-15-2014 at 04:32 PM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #1752
cristi1848
cristi1848 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
@kaznelson I want to thank you again for your wonderful work. I can't even imagine using my kindle without your hacks. I am mostly grateful for the margins fix.
cristi1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #1753
cristi1848

@kaznelson

I followed your instructions from page 106 to try to set up smaller margins. I installed JBE and opened Margins/ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar/ReaderResources_en_GB class then went to Methods -> [0] init -> [0] code but I don't see any 'Code' tab.

Am I missing anything ?

Thank you.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #1754
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
cristi1848

JBE Code Editor tab:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jbe.png
Views:	541
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	126885  
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #1755
cristi1848

Thank you for answering. For some reason, the Code tab didn't appear when I first tried it.

After unpacking the jar file and editing the ReaderResources_en_GB.class, when I'm trying to save, I get 'Error: Instruction requires an argument of type byte at line 786, instruction "bipush"' error. Any idea why is that ?

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks