Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Lowlandr
e-freak
Lowlandr began at the beginning.

Device: Pro 903
Question firmware 2.1.2 and PDF highlighting

Hope someone can help answer a few questions about my 903, which has been gathering dust for the past year or so.

I haven't been able to use it the way I hoped when I purchased it, which is highlighting text in PDFs loaded from a microSD card and saving them back to the microSD card WITH the highlights. That way I can process all the highlights as summaries or notes in a separate application on my PC. Being able to add notes and saving them would be a great addition (not talking about the crappy solution in the old firmware...).

Is such a thing (finally) possible with the new firmware or a new PDF reader on the 903?
Which firmware would be best to install?

Also, I haven't updated my 903 since I got it, still running on 2.0.4.
If I install the new firmware, is there anything I have to watch out for? Like disappearing books/dictionaries/applications/settings/etc?

Last question: guess there's still no official SDK, huh? **sigh**

Thanks in advance, especially to all of you are still making such a huge effort to get these devices to where they're really supposed to be (and should have been from the start...)!
Lowlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
with the 2.0.4 version you can take notes, meaning that you highlight a section of text and it gets stored. If you want to highlight (marker style) on a file, you must go to 2.1.2, but you won't get a file that you can open with your highlights as you would with a pdf file that you've highlighted on your laptop, say. You may want to search for the thread where we discussed about highlights and how they are stored (sorry, cannot find it!).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlandr View Post
Thanks in advance, especially to all of you are still making such a huge effort to get these devices to where they're really supposed to be (and should have been from the start...)!
Because the lack of huge efforts these devices are where they are ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I have a pb 302 with the beta 15.4 firmware but I think the annotations are in the same location as the pro models. When I connect the reader to my PC it is drive letter H: and the highlights end up as html pages in H:\system\config\Active Contents. Annotations end up in a folder with a similar name as the html file. You will find two images in the folder for each annotation. One is the annotation itself (an svg image) and the other is a picture of the page containing the annotation (a png image).
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Lowlandr
e-freak
Lowlandr began at the beginning.

Device: Pro 903
Thanks for your replies...

Quote:
with the 2.0.4 version you can take notes, meaning that you highlight a section of text and it gets stored
Yeah... that was the crappy solution I was referring to...

Being able to highlight 'marker' style is somewhat of an improvement, but without the possibility to save it together with the PDF, pretty useless for me. If highlights are stored as images, you'd have to OCR them to get the actual text back, whereas real PDF highlights just add mark-up.
There is so much software that has this feature, I find it incredible that this basic thing still isn't implemented.

Beryll is right and guess I'll keep using my tablet (with apps that actually do implement this feature).
Lowlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
903, firmware 2.1.2, highlighting, pdf