Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #136
PonyPam
PonyPam began at the beginning.

Device: Literatit

Well.
I have a new Literati.

Best Buy, not surprisingly, no longer had any in stock.

JC Penney had never had any in stock to start with.

Kohl's was happy to exchange devices. I figured I did them a favor getting another unreliable item off their shelves for them.

Everyone so far has agreed this is the oddest manner of dealing with a malfunctioning device.

Meanwhile, someone has a Nook on Craigslist for $100. I'm sorely, SORELY tempted.

Seriously -- what am I supposed to do when this happens AGAIN? And, why would I think it WOULDN'T?
PonyPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #137
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPam View Post

Well.
I have a new Literati.

Best Buy, not surprisingly, no longer had any in stock.

JC Penney had never had any in stock to start with.

Kohl's was happy to exchange devices. I figured I did them a favor getting another unreliable item off their shelves for them.

Everyone so far has agreed this is the oddest manner of dealing with a malfunctioning device.

Meanwhile, someone has a Nook on Craigslist for $100. I'm sorely, SORELY tempted.

Seriously -- what am I supposed to do when this happens AGAIN? And, why would I think it WOULDN'T?
I agree with what you say. When I get my replacement Literati, I have zero confidence that it's going to last any time at all. And what do I do when this happens AGAIN? I really don't know if I'll go through this replacement hassle again. I just might have a dead Literati, or just throw it away.

I have a Nook Classic also, and a Kindle 3. I love my Nook, use it a lot for library books.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #138
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Wow, I'm sorry to hear everyone's Literatis are dying! So far, mine works beautifully. My daughter uses it 1-2 hours a day and we haven't had any problems with it so far. I hope I just got lucky and got a good one...
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #139
PonyPam
PonyPam began at the beginning.

Device: Literatit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Wow, I'm sorry to hear everyone's Literatis are dying! So far, mine works beautifully. My daughter uses it 1-2 hours a day and we haven't had any problems with it so far. I hope I just got lucky and got a good one...
I hope so, too, for your sake!

Hopefully this new device will last a while. When I replace it, I'd like to get a color, back-lit reader, but right now don't want to shell out a couple hundred dollars. I guess this is what I get for being cheap!

I'm going to call their customer service today, and ask them to send me a letter stating exactly how long their warranty is, because I can't find anything ANYWHERE, except one review (Consumer Reports, I think) saying they have a 12 month warranty. Well. I want it in writing, from the source!
PonyPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #140
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I havent had any problems with mine! For the price of $10 for my son & $20 for mine Everythings going Great LOL As for the Nook you can buy them ALL day for $119 on B&N used! They are at least guarenteed 90 days! So $100 on craigslist is No Bargin! Woot had/has them for $99!! Nooks are not bad but CS on B&N sucks!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 04-15-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Typos
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #141
Luvz2Read
Luvz2Read began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
wow......i guess i'm one of many that have sent their Literatis back for "replacement"... was just told today that it's on backorder.....-maybe- will be sent out mid next week...that probably means another month or so
Luvz2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #142
Luvz2Read
Luvz2Read began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Smile

I'm going to call their customer service today, and ask them to send me a letter stating exactly how long their warranty is, because I can't find anything ANYWHERE, except one review (Consumer Reports, I think) saying they have a 12 month warranty. Well. I want it in writing, from the source![/QUOTE]

Plz let us know if you do get any kind of reply in writing......
Luvz2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #143
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvz2Read View Post
wow......i guess i'm one of many that have sent their Literatis back for "replacement"... was just told today that it's on backorder.....-maybe- will be sent out mid next week...that probably means another month or so

I'm still waiting for my replacement. Since March 11th.....
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #144
unclelobsterman
unclelobsterman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I've been tempted to buy one of these at my local Big 5 ($59.99 plus 20% off coupon) but decided to check here first. Based on a quick scan it seems like I should run -- and fast -- in the opposite direction!
unclelobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #145
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclelobsterman View Post
I've been tempted to buy one of these at my local Big 5 ($59.99 plus 20% off coupon) but decided to check here first. Based on a quick scan it seems like I should run -- and fast -- in the opposite direction!
I would suggest you go for it. I recently got one and it is a good reader, not the best, but at these prices the cheapest you can find. The firmware is supported by Kobo so it is likely to stay up to date even though it seems to be being dropped. The unit is well worth what you will pay if you want an eBook Reader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #146
unclelobsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would suggest you go for it. I recently got one and it is a good reader, not the best, but at these prices the cheapest you can find. The firmware is supported by Kobo so it is likely to stay up to date even though it seems to be being dropped. The unit is well worth what you will pay if you want an eBook Reader.

Dale
Thanks, Dale, but this unit seems to be entirely hit or miss from what I read both here and elsewhere. Yes, if I get a bug-free one it would be worth the money, but if I get one that won't turn on, needs to be sent in, etc., how much is my time worth vs. simply buying a refurbished Nook?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #147
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclelobsterman View Post
Thanks, Dale, but this unit seems to be entirely hit or miss from what I read both here and elsewhere. Yes, if I get a bug-free one it would be worth the money, but if I get one that won't turn on, needs to be sent in, etc., how much is my time worth vs. simply buying a refurbished Nook?
I think the dealer will give you another if it fails in 30 days. After that the risk is fairly low. Yes there are failures in all of the hardware out there no matter who makes them. I would suggest you check with the place you buy from for their policy and then decide. It is less that half the price of a refurbished Nook. But if the Nook suits you better then go for it.

Having said that you really need to make sure you are getting what you want assuming it works. The Nook is a e Ink screen with great qualities for reading in the sunlight and good battery life. The literati is more like the nook color with an LCD color screen with a backlight. Its battery life is likely about 6 hours or less before it need recharging. It is backlit and readable in the dark without a book light. These are very different qualities and should override the costs I would think. Images on the literati are very nice, as good as a digital frame would be. you can collect a set together in a zip file and rename the extension to cbz for viewing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #148
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nook that are the e-ink batteries Only last 9-10 Hours! They say 10 days based on people only reading 1 hr per day! Before you decide on a nook I would suggest you read the B&N forum. BTW even to use Nooks for Free books & Library books it has to be reg WITH a Credit card at B&N! One thing I LOVE about the Literati & Kindle No Cr cards required!!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 AM   #149
unclelobsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Nook that are the e-ink batteries Only last 9-10 Hours! They say 10 days based on people only reading 1 hr per day! Before you decide on a nook I would suggest you read the B&N forum. BTW even to use Nooks for Free books & Library books it has to be reg WITH a Credit card at B&N! One thing I LOVE about the Literati & Kindle No Cr cards required!!
Thanks, but I'm not sure that's the case as long as you're not planning to get any content from B&N in the first place. I bought a Nook refurb on Black Friday and loaded it up with books for my mom (none of them from B&N). I never had to give my credit card to them.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #150
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I had 2 & both had to be reg to even work! Well they were both also returned cause they were broke!