Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #76
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
It's being "reported" on the Amazon forum boards that the K1 refurbs are sold out. FWIW
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #77
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Was just at the Amazon website - no K1's currently available, refurbished K2's still available for $219. I guess folks really snapped them up at $149.

I predict (IMHO) if Amazon offered a lot of refurbished K1's at $99 and refurbished K2's at $199 - there would be little/no market left for the Sony Daily Reader launch in December. As noted in numerous posts, if the price is low enough and the quality high enough, the absence of some features no longer stops the purchase.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #78
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

not to mention that Amazon has the most books in a one-stop shopping place. It will be interesting to see what happens when BN starts offering more ebooks. The bigger bookstops seem to be the popular places to shop, which drives traffic to their reader and it snowballs.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #79
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
If Amazon put the price of the K2 at $149 and the K1 refurbs at $99 they would sell as if there were no other option. Only folks that would not join are those who feel a touch display is important or want more freedom format wise, but Calibre solves a lot of that issue.
No real need for them to do that if they are selling well at the higher prices though, looking at the way the k2 price has varied that might have been them trying to set as high a price as possible while still keeping the rate of sales high enough.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #80
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Was just at the Amazon website - no K1's currently available, refurbished K2's still available for $219. I guess folks really snapped them up at $149.

I predict (IMHO) if Amazon offered a lot of refurbished K1's at $99 and refurbished K2's at $199 - there would be little/no market left for the Sony Daily Reader launch in December. As noted in numerous posts, if the price is low enough and the quality high enough, the absence of some features no longer stops the purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
No real need for them to do that if they are selling well at the higher prices though, looking at the way the k2 price has varied that might have been them trying to set as high a price as possible while still keeping the rate of sales high enough.
See the quote I included from poohbear which explains what I would have thought is implied in my comments. Additionally the lower price point would put ebooks closer to affordable for say a FAMILY of four at $99/reader rather than $200-$400+/device...I said this when the original K1 price was announced, a family of four can in no way afford reading devices for everyone at $400/device. At $99/reader that is far more realistic. Even at $149/device it can be difficult for a lot of families. At $99 I would not hesitate buying gifts for friends, even if it is a K1...at $149 I will not.

A higher market saturation of devices makes it very difficult for publishers to justify refusal to publish ebook versions. Even the usual subjects would be backed into a corner if millions of devices were sold by each major device maker over the next year. Device owners will naturally only want to read what they can find for their device...especially with the integration of online stores.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #81
docinabox
docinabox is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, Treo 755p
Just picked up a refurbished Kindle 2 for $219. It is scheduled to be here on 9/23 and I can't wait. I checked Amazon several times over the last two days after seeing this thread and the price never varied. It will be my first reader. I also got the M Edge GO jacket. There were a couple reviews saying that people cracked their Kindles using either the Amazon case or the M Edge, but I have to think that is an unusual situation.
Now to decide what my first e-book will be. I am a huge Stephen King fan and am leaning toward Duma Key, since it is the only major work of his that I have not read yet.

I will check the forums often and hopefully will get tips to get the most out of my new Kindle.

Also, apologies to brecklundin, I did not mean to copy your avatar! So sorry

Doc
docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #82
jamesh2
jamesh2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Looks like the refurbished Kindle 1 is gone.
jamesh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #83
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh2 View Post
Looks like the refurbished Kindle 1 is gone.
Keep watching - they appear in batches sporadically.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #84
poohbear_nc
Now what?

They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Still $149!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

Refurbished K2's still available for $219 too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...d_i=B00154JDAI

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 09-24-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #85
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

I just came over to post that some more had appeared (someone on the Amazon forum posted that they just bought one...)
Old 09-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #86
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

by taking them on and off the site, it adds to the buyer anxiety and is an attempt to entice buyers into spending more in fear that if they wait no more will be available. Old marketing trick and something Amazon has done to perfection for as long as I can remember Amazon being around...have you ever told a friend about an item on Amazon only to have them look at the page at the same time and see a different price? Happens a lot....
Old 09-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #87
docinabox
docinabox is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, Treo 755p
My refurbished Kindle 2 arrived on the day promised and it is great! I am unable to find any sort of defect on it. I already bought Duma Key, and a couple other books, one free and one for a penny. Then I used Calibre to download The Onion. Fantastic! I took it to work yesterday and everyone was impressed.

Doc
docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #88
brecklundin
Banned

I bet most of the "refurbs have zero defects. Some might have been returned simply before the 30-day full refund period, others because of the battery thing and a few because of something else but not likely many of the refurbs are nothing more than new old-stock (NOS). That is why $149 is a very good buy, not a great buy but still I would opt for one over Jetbook, maybe, not certain but prolly.

One thing I wish they would have left on the K2 was the rubberized back plate. It really helps with the grip on the reader. But the the buttons on the side take a bit to get used to....

All in all, a nice price...$99 would be far better though...and $169 on the K2 refurbs might do the same for selling tons of them as well.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #89
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It appears they have gotten them in a few batches (K1s), the K2s will be a steady stream of availability for a while yet no doubt, the K2 is 'decent' value, but the K1 is a bargain!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote