Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #106
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I take it that as Kobo has seemingly stopped the rollout of 2.1.4, the next update will be 2.1.5 or something, so if I again manually update to 2.1.4 I will still get the latest update?

(Just don't like 2.0.0)
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #107
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I take it that as Kobo has seemingly stopped the rollout of 2.1.4, the next update will be 2.1.5 or something, so if I again manually update to 2.1.4 I will still get the latest update?

(Just don't like 2.0.0)
I manually updated to 2.1.1 and I still got the 2.1.4 update - so, probably yes.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #108
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
John if you don't like Kobo forcing their latest version of the firmware on you (and I can certainly understand why you feel this way) then stop syncing.
Download your books as epubs and then side load them onto your Kobo. It's quite simple - the downside for those who read on multiple devices is that the second device won't know what page you are up to but as I read different books on different devices this is not a problem for me.
But to do this, I'll need to stop "just reading". I'll need to search the internet for some good firmware, attempt to update it, maybe get some squares that won't stop dancing, try another firmware, maybe edit a database, ...

FWIW, I've decided to stick with 2.1.1. It does what I need "to just read" with some minor annoyances.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #109
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Has anyone in the UK received the 2.1.4 firmware yet? If so what firmware were you on before.

I'm on 2.0.0 and I've a sneaky suspicion it's not allowing the update somehow. I say this because rather than just say there are no updates after a sync, it waits for a long time "Checking for updates" and eventually says there's a network error. However if I say use the browser first I am able to use the network.

I've tried doing a factory reset but when I attach to the Desktop program it just takes me back to 2.0.0.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #110
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Has anyone in the UK received the 2.1.4 firmware yet? If so what firmware were you on before.

I'm on 2.0.0 and I've a sneaky suspicion it's not allowing the update somehow. I say this because rather than just say there are no updates after a sync, it waits for a long time "Checking for updates" and eventually says there's a network error. However if I say use the browser first I am able to use the network.

I've tried doing a factory reset but when I attach to the Desktop program it just takes me back to 2.0.0.
Don't bother. Firmware rollout of 2.1.4 was stopped a few days ago while Kobo fixed a problem. Unfortunately, they didn't officially announce this, but have said it elsewhere. The problem has been fixed and is being tested (announced be SameerH today).

With 2.1.4 not being sent out, the previous official release is probably being sent out. This was 2.0.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #111
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina182B View Post
I did the manual update to 2.1.4 using the zip file in mobileread. As stated in the post, my touch did the update, restarted, updated, restarted, then I got the release notes. It took 4 minutes.

I'm experiencing similar things people have posted about:
- faster page turns (yey)
- going to home page is faster (yey)
- felbridge is gone (boo)
- no heart option to add to shortlist (boo)

I knew it was going to be like this going in, but am still glad I did the update manually since the page turns and going back to home page is normal now.

All my books are sideloaded. I didn't have to do a factory reset and my shortlist books are still saved in the shortlist shelve.
You can get all the fonts back that were in the previous firmwares as described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=152

You only won't be able to use the finetuning with "sideloaded" fonts.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #112
sus
sus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
Hello All

I just recd the sync update all is working fine, so far.

Thanks for the info

Sus
sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #113
benqtitle
benqtitle began at the beginning.

Just out of curiosity, what's the benefits of upgrading Kobo Touch from 1.9.17 to 2.1.4 (besides book shelf) and what's the downside? And what does aforementioned "You only won't be able to use the finetuning with "sideloaded" fonts." (two posts above) mean? Thanks.

I am asking because right now I am at 1.9.17 and happy with it (was upgraded to 2.0.0, couldn't bear the slow page turns and manually reverted back to 1.9.17), right now with cold boot, I can start READ a book within 30 seconds of sliding the power button. Just wondering whether it is worth it to get 2.1.4.

Last edited by benqtitle; 10-14-2012 at 10:38 PM.
benqtitle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #114
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
2.x added in an ability to tune some of the inbuilt fonts; to alter the weight and sharpness of the characters.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #115
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I think that being able to create and edit shelves was an addition as well.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #116
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by benqtitle View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's the benefits of upgrading Kobo Touch from 1.9.17 to 2.1.4 (besides book shelf) and what's the downside? And what does aforementioned "You only won't be able to use the finetuning with "sideloaded" fonts." (two posts above) mean? Thanks.
all menu and library related operations in 2.1.4. are generally much more responsive compared to older versions. 2.1.4. also seems to be afffected by less blatant bugs (it's far from bug-free though). The font fine-tuning is a nice feature too.

On the other hand, when upgrading from 1.9.17, you might be annoyed by the new home screen layout which has quite a bit of very visible store related stuff and the (forced) hyphenation leads to very ugly results in some languages (this can be fixed though by manually editing the update files).
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #117
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benqtitle View Post
+ fonts fine tuning for preloaded fonts (weight and sharpness), not available for sideloaded fonts
+ shelves (2.1.4 adds the possibility to add a book from the books menu)
+ improved dictionary usability (translation/definition by tapping on a word for about 2 seconds)
+ 2.1.4 lets you decide which of the dictionaries you want to have installed
+ you can mark more than one word now and look it up (though I don't know if there are any translations/definitions in English - could be useful for Japanese, though)
+ hyphenation
+ view details lets you read the books description from the meta data (if there is one, of course) and also lets you rate your books (I think that's new, too, the rating...)
+ support for Japanese (interface, keyboard, dictionary, 2 new fonts for Japanese)

~ wishlist (which is rather useless to me since I can only add books recommended to me)
~ find books similar to those you are reading
~ new homescreen design with Read and Discover tabs (don't know how to feel about it, since the favorites are gone from the homepage as well, but now there's a large tap displaying your wishlist on the bottom)

- hearts to mark favorites are gone (2.1.4, you can still add books to favorites using the shelves menu, but I still think that was a bad decision to remove them)
- you can't select cover display seperately for sleep and power off anymore (2.1.4)
- chapter progress bar is gone (2.1.4)
- the ability to open the highlight menu introduced in 2.0.0 is gone in 2.1.4
- several fonts are completely gone (Delima, Felbridge, Times New Roman). You can add them manually, but...
- sideloaded fonts don't look very good anymore (too thin, no finetuning possible)

That and possibly some minor changes that I can't recall at the moment. Plus a few bugs, as usual... (See the other 2.1.4 thread...)

I hope they will reverse some of the "minus changes" in a future version and bring back the hearts and chapter progress bar at least...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #118
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I just manually upgraded and it works perfectly. I got tired of waiting and the constant daily checking. I reset the reader to factory settings (1.9.6, I think) and manually upgraded from there.

My first impression is that the menus are much more responsive than 2.0.0. I haven't read any books yet.

Second impression is that page-turn speed has hugely increased.

Third impression is that the reader spontaneously rebooted while I was changing the line spacing. This is with a book on the internal memory. Not good.

Last edited by corroonb; 10-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #119
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Don't bother. Firmware rollout of 2.1.4 was stopped a few days ago while Kobo fixed a problem. Unfortunately, they didn't officially announce this, but have said it elsewhere. The problem has been fixed and is being tested (announced be SameerH today).

With 2.1.4 not being sent out, the previous official release is probably being sent out. This was 2.0.0.
So when, exactly, should I start checking for the update?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #120
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
So when, exactly, should I start checking for the update?
Either when an official announcement is made or everyone else starts yelling about it appearing on their device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote