Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Question Compiling Android for Kindle Touch

Hi All,
This is my 1st post, yaaay! How is everyone doing? MR seems to be a fascinating place, eh?
I guess this question might be silly but can Android be installed on a rooted Kindle Touch (compiling source code)? I know Kindle OS is Linux based but so is Android! so is KT hardware capable of it? If this can be done (like what Duokan did), it'd be awesome!
Being a noob, I'm curious about your opinions!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-07-2012 at 01:27 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
It obviously can be done, the real question is: is it worth the effort? I think so, but I don't have a Kindle Touch
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Developers' forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
1) port the android kernel (start with freescale's imx50 android kernel) with the changes amazon's kernel source release.
2) compile android
3) flash the images using a serial cable or USB download mode.

It really shouldn't be that hard. Someone should attempt it.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
1) port the android kernel (start with freescale's imx50 android kernel) with the changes amazon's kernel source release.
2) compile android
3) flash the images using a serial cable or USB download mode.

It really shouldn't be that hard. Someone should attempt it.
@yifanlu: can you please explain a little bit more or give me references to look up? regarding 'freescale's imx50 android kernel with amazon changes'... basically somewhere I can learn basics like what is flashing, and all that.

Now my main question is can we have both Android and KindleOS side by side? (like Duokan can coesxist with KindleOS)
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
If I can lead you step by step, I would do it myself. The process would be very simple compared to porting android to a non-Linux device since the kernel is most of the work. But it still isn't easy.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
If I can lead you step by step, I would do it myself. The process would be very simple compared to porting android to a non-Linux device since the kernel is most of the work. But it still isn't easy.
I just didn't want to reinvent 'parts of the wheel' (exact same reason you wrote GUILauncher), and no obviously I wasn't asking to be lead step by step! hahaha... just asking for references, but well it's alright. Again thanks for all wonderful hacks anyways. great pieces of art, yifanlu

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-13-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
alaiksander
Enthusiast
alaiksander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.0
I'm wondering, are there developers willing to try this??
Well, I'm quite happy with my KT 5.1.0, but having alternative is always a good thing right??
alaiksander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I'd like to, but I don't have a touch
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
mofosyne
mofosyne began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I wonder how you guys are going? I am slightly envious of the people who managed to get android working on the nook.

The only reason I would want android on kindle touch however is because I want better pdf support.

Is there any good pdf reader app for kindle touch? (one that also supports folder view)
mofosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofosyne View Post
I wonder how you guys are going? I am slightly envious of the people who managed to get android working on the nook.

The only reason I would want android on kindle touch however is because I want better pdf support.

Is there any good pdf reader app for kindle touch? (one that also supports folder view)
The nook simple touch has android built in. It normally runs a custom desktop, but after you root it you can select a normal android desktop when you reboot. Rooting is just a minor patch.

The kindle does NOT have android built in, so would need a total firmware replacement. That firmware must have new device drivers based on the ones used in the kindle firmware. Not a trivial job to create this, but not that difficult because they both have linux underneath and we have kindle GPL source code for device drivers that we can use (perhaps with some minor modification).

People who want to do this need to start by studying the source code for android and the kindle touch, and read reference manuals and other relevant documentation. Those who have already studied much of what they need to do this may be busy with other projects, but noobs can certainly learn to do this too by following the guidance above.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-07-2012 at 05:19 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
mofosyne
mofosyne began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Well i guess I can certainly try making android when I got lots and lots of time. For now, is there perhaps a kindlet or "GUI laucher" extension, that provide a better PDF reading experience?
mofosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Jyohomson
Reader
Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3 3G (Broken), Kindle Touch (Broken), Kindle PW2
Thumbs up Android *drool*

The person who gets android running in this thing...

Last edited by Jyohomson; 12-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Jyohomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Every time I see this thread popup it is someone saying "I wish someone else would do this"...

Never.. "Here are my first thoughts on getting this going..."

"Here are the things I tried so far...

"This is where I am stuck.

When that post comes along I will be in...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@twobob, nice! Here are my first thoughts on getting this going: I tried post here so far and this is where I am stuck.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote