Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
mickeyfinn
Banned
mickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enough

Device: none
New to me (used) 3g+wifi. I have some ?

Hi,

I did some searching here and I can't seem to find any answers.

I just bought a used nok 3g+wifi. It is an older one with a serial number of 1001XXXXX.

Software is 1.5.0

The firmware version is L2_0_07AP.

Does it need any updating? If so, how do I do it?

When I plug it into my laptop get a screen that says:

"If you want to use your NOOK and continue charging, please choose Eject or Unmount from the NOOK drive on your computer."

What does this mean? I can't getout of this screen with the nookplugged into the laptop.

I downloaded some free ebooks from B&N. How do I change the font size? I can't find the option to do so.

I keep reading about "sideloading" but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have some ePub books downloaded to my laptop from the public library. How can I get them into the nook?

Thank you.

Last edited by mickeyfinn; 04-03-2011 at 07:18 PM.
mickeyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
Hi,

I did some searching here and I can't seem to find any answers.

I just bought a used nok 3g+wifi. It is an older one with a serial number of 1001XXXXX.

Software is 1.5.0

The firmware version is L2_0_07AP.

Does it need any updating? If so, how do I do it?
It shouldn't need to be updated. 1.5 is the latest software so you're good.

Quote:
When I plug it into my laptop get a screen that says:

"If you want to use your NOOK and continue charging, please choose Eject or Unmount from the NOOK drive on your computer."

What does this mean? I can't getout of this screen with the nookplugged into the laptop.
You'll have to stop the USB drive that the Nook is on and then disconnect it from the computer. Once you do that, the USB screen will disappear. Don't worry, that screen always appears when the Nook is hooked up to a computer.

Quote:
I downloaded some free ebooks from B&N. How do I change the font size? I can't find the option to do so.
When you have a book open, scroll to "Preferences" on the LCD screen and you'll see "Text size". Click on that and you'll be able to change the size.

Quote:
I keep reading about "sideloading" but I can't figure out how to do it.
If you're buying books from B&N you don't need to sideload. If you're using Adobe Digital Editions, then register the device with ADE and then drop and drag any books from ADE onto the Nook icon in sidebar.

Quote:
I have some ePub books downloaded to my laptop from the public library. How can I get them into the nook?

Thank you.
Open ADE and the register your Nook. When you open ADE, it will ask if you want to register your device. Click yes. Follow the steps I outlined above and your books should appear on your Nook.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
mickeyfinn
Banned
mickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enough

Wow Faith. Thank you so much. You saved me a lot of time and headaches.

Through your excellent tutelage I can now do everything but change the text size.

I can't find anyplace that says "preferences" anywhere at any time whether I have a book open or not. Maybe I don't know how to scroll or where.

There is the big B&W screen and the smaller color screen with The Daily, My Library and the rest of those icons.

Can we start there? Where do I go, how do I get there and what do I look for?

Also my page swipes work once out of every 15 or 20 times and they are painfully slow. Do you know of anyway to deal with that?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
mickeyfinn
Banned

ok, i got it. DUH

i didn't realize you could swipe the lcd screen and to reveal more selections.

still mystified by the "If you want to use your NOOK and continue charging, please choose Eject or Unmount from the NOOK drive on your computer" screen but i'll keep trying.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
Quote:
ok, i got it. DUH

i didn't realize you could swipe the lcd screen and to reveal more selections.

still mystified by the "If you want to use your NOOK and continue charging, please choose Eject or Unmount from the NOOK drive on your computer" screen but i'll keep trying.
You can use your nook to read while it is plugged into the wall charging but you can not read on your nook while it is charging on your computer. So if you want to read while charging simply unplug the nook from your computer and plug it into the wall. I hope this helps.
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:

That screen means the nook is in USB mode and is functioning as a USB drive.

If you want to read your nook while it's plugged into the computer (generally to just charge the battery from your computer rather than the wall), right-click on the nook USB drive icon on the computer to eject the nook as a USB device but don't unplug the nook. That will take your nook out of USB mode. It will continue to do a battery charge (from your laptop), but you can use it (on a tether the length of your charging cord, but still this can be useful if you're almost out of charge and want to read something near your laptop but not near the wall.)
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
You can use your nook to read while it is plugged into the wall charging but you can not read on your nook while it is charging on your computer. So if you want to read while charging simply unplug the nook from your computer and plug it into the wall. I hope this helps.
You can read the nook while plugged into your computer if you do the USB drive Eject but leave the cord plugged in. I have done this many times.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
You can read the nook while plugged into your computer if you do the USB drive Eject but leave the cord plugged in. I have done this many times.
Cool, I didn't know that. Generally I've only plugged my nook into my computer to sideload books and I used the wallwart to charge.
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote