Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
subarux
subarux began at the beginning.

Device: kindle & iphone
How long can I leave the K3 on?

Is it ok to leave the K3 power on overnight(s)?
subarux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarux View Post
Is it ok to leave the K3 power on overnight(s)?
If you just stop reading and do nothing, it'll go to to the screensaver image in a few minutes (10?).

As for completely off (sliding and holding the switch), I've had mine for about two weeks now and it's never been turned off. I've not recharged it for over a week, never turn it off, use it nightly with the integrated reading light in the case that draws from the internal battery, and it still has about 85% charge...

I've heard of many people not even knowing that you could turn it completely off and having no trouble.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I've had a K1, K2, and now a K3, and I've never turned them off. They just stay in sleep mode when I'm not using them.

I do turn the wireless off when I'm not using it, though.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
subarux
subarux began at the beginning.

Device: kindle & iphone
Thanks for the replies.
But I just found an old thread of the same question I posted. sorry.....
subarux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
kindles turn off?!?

seriously, they consume no power in sleep mode so there's no real reason to turn them off.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
kindles turn off?!?

seriously, they consume no power in sleep mode so there's no real reason to turn them off.
There is some power usage if wireless is left on. In that event, even in sleep mode, it will periodically turn on the antenna and check for downloads. Power consumption is much less but not zero.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There is some power usage if wireless is left on. In that event, even in sleep mode, it will periodically turn on the antenna and check for downloads. Power consumption is much less but not zero.
true true.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I never shut mine off either. With wireless off, it would actually use more battery to turn your Kindle off and back on again than it would to just keep it in sleep mode for that time being. If I remember correctly, Amazon recommends the same practice.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
they consume no power in sleep mode so there's no real reason to turn them off.
Not true even with wireless turned off, Of course they still use power in sleep mode, Just less power.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Not true even with wireless turned off, Of course they still use power in sleep mode, Just less power.
Absolutely right. In sleep mode, the Kindle is "in a coma", but not "dead".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely right. In sleep mode, the Kindle is "in a coma", but not "dead".
Mine must be having near death experiences. I've had my K3 since August 30 and it has been on the charger three times, including the original charge. I read about 15 hours a week with a large font size (lots of page turns) and am getting 6-7 weeks on a charge. Amazing!

Regards - John

P.S. My wireless stays off. I download to my PC and let Calibre put my books on the K3. I connect the K3 to my PC about once a week, for about 10 minutes, to update my reading material so I suppose I pick up a little extra charge that way.

Last edited by Jabby; 11-17-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Use power or drain power?
wi-fi notwithstanding,
I thought that they only consumed power on page turns.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #13
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I've had my K3 since Aug. 30 and never turn it off -- just put it to sleep. I've only had to charge it twice since I got it, and I use it just about every day.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #14
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Use power or drain power?
Doesn't that mean the same thing And yes it still uses a small amount of power in sleep mode, Think about it, Why would you need a off button if sleep mode used no power
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I thought that they only consumed power on page turns.
The screen only consumes power on page turns, but there are plenty of other components that could be consuming power. In order to be able to respond to the command to come out of sleep, at least some of the circuitry will have to be powered.

The Kindle doesn't use very much power when it's asleep, but it does use some. Harry's coma analogy is a good one.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote