Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
eReader Size

The right size ebook reader still isn't available as far as I'm concerned. I want something that will go in my pocket, but still have a decent screen area.

Mass market paperback is about right. It's also the size that was used for various 'pocket' editions before paperbacks came along.

To give concrete examples.

I have here a rather nice pocket edition of 'Kidnapped'. It's outer dimensions are 175mmx115mm(x15mm). The text block area (neglecting headers and footers) is 135mmx80mm.

I also have my Kindle 2i. It's outer dimensions (in Amazon case) are 208mmx145mm(x20mm). The text block area (neglecting headers and footers) is 92mmx80mm. If I take the whole eInk area, it's still only 120mmx90mm.

The 2i, although wonderful in many ways, is too big physically and too small in screen area.

I want more screen, in a smaller device. What size of eReader are other people waiting for?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Seems like the K3 should be closer to your ideal.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I'd like a 6" screen with a 5" size case, with WiFi. I don't care so much about the pocket-ability, but I want the low weight that comes with a small device. I've got tiny hands and wrists that get tired - I read on smartphones for the last 7 years.

Sony is really close - the new 650 is smaller than the old 300. But they didn't add WiFi, darn them.

Booken's Orizon, if it ever launches, is pretty close, too.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Kindle 3 and Kobo are virtually the same size (the Kobo slightly thicker). I prefer the form factor over the Kindle 2. I don't have a need to slip a reader into a pocket but both fit comfortably into most any bag one (or one's spouse) might be dragging along.

The new Sony's are about the same size as well.

I know it's ridiculous, but the 5" screen looks WAY too small to me. And, the 6" screen Kindle 3 has made more complete use of top and side margins -- it packs more words, with the same size and line-spacing, vs the identical 6" screen Kindle 2. And, for a variety of reasons, the Kobo, too, packs less per page. So ... I'm a little shy about considering a 5" screen.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
A 5" screen works for me but 6" would be better. This is assuming the 6" utilizes the entire screen, like my 5" JBL does, has small overall dimensions (narrow bezel and no keypad), and has software that allows easy viewing of my PDFs (the JBL does a fairly good job). Something like the K3 or Augen's The Book will not fit in my purse because of the idiot keyboard.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I don't like devices - readers, phones, cameras - getting too small. I have hands large enough that I can pick up a basketball single-handed from the top, so small devices make me feel like I'm handling scale models from a doll's house, and after a time my hands start to cramp.

That's one reason I bought the iRiver Story - it's almost identical in dimensions to a Kindle 2, but at the time Kindles weren't available here in Australia, and I made the conscious choice not to get locked into proprietary formats. The Story is large enough to feel comfortable in my hands, it's light overall but still heavy enough to have some heft and feel sturdy, and it has enough frame around the screen that I can hold it securely without getting fingerprints on the glass. All of that appeals to me.

But that's my take. I realise it won't match the majority view.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The right size ebook reader still isn't available as far as I'm concerned. I want something that will go in my pocket, but still have a decent screen area.

Mass market paperback is about right. It's also the size that was used for various 'pocket' editions before paperbacks came along.

To give concrete examples.

I have here a rather nice pocket edition of 'Kidnapped'. It's outer dimensions are 175mmx115mm(x15mm). The text block area (neglecting headers and footers) is 135mmx80mm.

I also have my Kindle 2i. It's outer dimensions (in Amazon case) are 208mmx145mm(x20mm). The text block area (neglecting headers and footers) is 92mmx80mm. If I take the whole eInk area, it's still only 120mmx90mm.

The 2i, although wonderful in many ways, is too big physically and too small in screen area.

I want more screen, in a smaller device. What size of eReader are other people waiting for?
It sounds like the Sony Reader PRS-650 is a better fit then the K3.

168.275mm x 120.65mm x 10.31875mm (H/W/D) without a cover.

And as for the topic, eReader size depends on the size of the screen and what size eReader is set to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It sounds like the Sony Reader PRS-650 is a better fit then the K3.

168.275mm x 120.65mm x 10.31875mm (H/W/D) without a cover.

And as for the topic, eReader size depends on the size of the screen and what size eReader is set to.
Sigh... yes, all right, I should have said "ebook reader".

The PRS-650 does sound pretty good. but I note that those are the dimensions without a cover. Perhaps I'm just being very picky to avoid the thought that I can't really afford a new ebook reader at the moment!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, there is the PRS-350 at a smaller size. That may possibly be even more what you are looking for size wise.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am really enjoying the DXG. I like the larger screen and find that it is perfectly portable.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Ah, yes, the Goldilocks Conundrum. I'm the odd duck, I suppose since I'm using, rather happily, a KindleDX.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I'd like a 6" screen with a 5" size case, with WiFi.
The NextPapyrus PageOne https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=pageone is a 6inchdevice in a 5inch case. It doesnt have wifi but the next one, "P2", will. They are even working on a charging dock accessory for PageOne that will have wifi built in, extending that capability to the PageOne.

There are pics in the linked thread showing it with my PB360 and Boox 60 in its case
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
nighthawk
nighthawk began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek
Well my aluratek 5" fits nicely in my back pocked even in the case.
I find the 5" screen not that much diffent from PB if you use the landscape mode you get about 1/3 of page in portrait you fit maybe 1/2 page depends what font size you use.
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
We need (want) a folding screen. I wonder if folding will happen sooner than rolling (scrolls, lol)? Rolling sounds less stressful, depending on radius.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Folding/rolling screens are still coming. 2011 should see the announcement of a new Readius type device from my friends at PolymerVision. They are working on it as I type this.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote