Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
filmcub
filmcub began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
eBook Conversion Question

I work at a company that has a very complicated book (numerous tables, lots of specific formatting, tons of links to other sections, etc.) that we want to attempt to get into eBook format.

We requested quotes from several conversion services and all but one rejected us due to the complexity. We tried working with the one that accepted us but they were very sloppy and it had way too many errors to be acceptable. So we are back at square one.

Does anybody have any suggestions before we decide to throw in the towel on having this in eBook format? We don't have the resources to build it in house. We would really like to do it because we think it would be an interesting way for our clients to get the book. Eventually we will build a different type of solution such as a web database but that won't happen this year.

Thanks for any suggestions.

filmcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I have everything either in MS Word or HTML. You can make all the links you want in HTML, which is essentially the basis of epub. I'm a programmer, not a professional publisher or anything, but I could take a look.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Calibre is a free (as in beer and in freedom meaning you can get the source code and tweak it to your needs) that runs on every platform and converts a lot of different formats to a lot of other formats. I use it to suck in Word, .lit, .prc, etc and turn them into proper epub files that my ereaders seem to like better than the original platform. It also allows you to tweak the metadata and do batch conversions.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote