Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I don't "get on campaigns" about words at all. I'm making a conversational argument on a message board that I read regularly because I have a little time to kill and am attempting to procrastinate on doing real work. Trust me, I don't give the word as much as a single thought when it isn't being brought up here.

And it struck me the exact "mood" that rubs me the wrong way about trying to push the word-- it is like the annoying little kid that nobody likes following you around and asking to be your friend. Sure, you might become friends if it developed naturally, but consciously trying to force it simply by showing up all the time and hoping people will eventually stop ignoring you comes off as really clingy, needy, and pathetic-- and excessive exposure to "pathetic" quickly pushes one over the line from sympathy to contempt.
ah, well i didn't realise that you were not in fact at all invested emotionally in the discussion, your choice of words makes it seem on the contrary that you feel very strongly about this.

be that as it may, i mention campaign and antagonism and aggression because whenever the word has been used in any discussion here it has invariably been met with a veritable cacophony of protests from a small group of people who clearly does feel very strongly about it, to the point of actually completely derailing whatever thread it appeared in and preventing any discussion about the actual topic (which was not, in fact, the use of the word "liseuse").
Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #47
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Chill-pill needed I think. Hot summer afternoon (at least here) and you're here throwing around words like 'pathetic'.
Yes, I meant precisely that word, and chose it accordingly-- under both primary definitions found here:

1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion: "The old, rather shabby room struck her as extraordinarily pathetic" (John Galsworthy).
2. Arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pathetic
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
You mean like ereader (any electronic device with a readable screen is an e reader) or book (I'm just reading the latest novel on my book....?). We like the word because it has some cultural weight, it sounds nice to us, and because actually we don't take Google as the world arbitrator on the meaning of language.

Your opinion of shoehorning is only that, an opinion, and it's not one that I and many others share.
eReader is a word that already has a meaning and trying to fit in a meaning that it doesn't mean is again silly.

What is wrong with eBook reader as the name for our devices? But if anyone has any better ideas other then trying to shoehorn into another word, feel free to say.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #49
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Yes, I meant precisely that word, and chose it accordingly-- under both primary definitions found here:

1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion: "The old, rather shabby room struck her as extraordinarily pathetic" (John Galsworthy).
2. Arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pathetic
Someone needs a hug. (I don't give out hugs)
Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
be that as it may, i mention campaign and antagonism and aggression because whenever the word has been used in any discussion here it has invariably been met with a veritable cacophony of protests from a small group of people who clearly does feel very strongly about it, to the point of actually completely derailing whatever thread it appeared in and preventing any discussion about the actual topic (which was not, in fact, the use of the word "liseuse").
Derailing a topic is my only purpose of being here! Who cares about a topic, unless you can derail it!

And you should see me go against Apple... And those people that insist on calling an MP3 player an Ipod. Even though that MP3 player is way more ancient than the oldest Ipod and made by Creative...

am I glad I'm no moderator here, I don't have to mind my words (that much)
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I do feel that this word is a silly word and not at all appropriate.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #52
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eReader is a word that already has a meaning and trying to fit in a meaning that it doesn't mean is again silly.

What is wrong with eBook reader as the name for our devices? But if anyone has any better ideas other then trying to shoehorn into another word, feel free to say.
What is wrong is that eBook reader also describes my computer, my laptop, my phone, the television (once Google releases their tv box) and any number of other devices that are capable of reading ebooks. And it's not fun either. That's why I like Liseuse. It's fun, it's just different enough and has enough cultural weight to be applied as a description without being too difficult or clumsy to pronounce.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Derailing a topic is my only purpose of being here! Who cares about a topic, unless you can derail it!

And you should see me go against Apple... And those people that insist on calling an MP3 player an Ipod. Even though that MP3 player is way more ancient than the oldest Ipod and made by Creative...

am I glad I'm no moderator here, I don't have to mind my words (that much)
What I have isn't a "MP3 player". It's a multi-format music player as it plays MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG, & FLAC. Sure it plays MP3, but it plays much much then just MP3. I have a Rio Karma. And to be honest, it does sound better then the iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone. The 4th generation iPod was a really nice device. Then Apple decided to cheapen it and now we have what we have.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #54
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
ah, well i didn't realise that you were not in fact at all invested emotionally in the discussion, your choice of words makes it seem on the contrary that you feel very strongly about this.
There was a study that came out a couple of years back (and I haven't managed to key-phrase google it up) about how people in general tend to misjudge emotional content in written communications because it lacks the standard visual/audio clues that allow one to determine mood in "live" conversation. The gist of the study is that "strong emotions" one reads into e-mails, forum posts, etc, often (maybe most of the time) just is not there, and often the same message is interpreted entirely differently by someone else. It is a form of projecting (and everybody does it, I'm not trying to place blame on you-- for instance, Moejoe is projecting emotions into me that simply are not there over my (correct and correctly chosen) use of the word "pathetic.") That's why emoticons are around-- the little smiley at the end of a message is the difference between a little light humor and the start of a flame war. (Hey, update that saying-- for want of a smiley, a kingdom was lost!)

But all that aside, my perception of there being an active campaign to push the word "liseuse" inside and outside this forum derives from the active campaign to push the word "liseuse" inside and outside this forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=liseuse

Quote:
"Doctor, my arm hurts when I move it like this!"
"Stop moving it like that."

Last edited by ardeegee; 06-17-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #55
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
There was a study that came out a couple of years back (and I haven't managed to key-phrase google it up) about how people in general tend to misjudge emotional content in written communications because it lacks the standard visual/audio clues that allow one to determine mood in "live" conversation. The gist of the study is that "strong emotions" one reads into e-mails, forum posts, etc, often (maybe most of the time) are just is not there, and often the same message is interpreted entirely differently by someone else. It is a form of projecting (and everybody does it, I'm not trying to place blame on you-- for instance, Moejoe is projecting emotions into me that simply are not there over my (correct and correctly chosen) use of the word "pathetic.") That's why emoticons are around-- the little smiley at the end of a message is the difference between a little light humor and the start of a flame war. (Hey, update that saying-- for want of a smiley, a kingdom was lost!)

But all that aside, my perception of there being an active campaign to push the word "liseuse" inside and outside this forum derives from the active campaign to push the word "liseuse" inside and outside this forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=liseuse
Last post in that thread was 09-18-2009, 10 months ago. That's not exactly 'active' is it? Unless you're a Galapagos Tortoise or a tree, maybe.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #56
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Well, I'm derailing your derailment! The first commercially successful MP3 player was the Rio PMP 300, made by Diamond, not Creative. It was fought by the RIAA, but not-- as far as I know-- by the band Diamond Rio. I had one (and still do, but don't have the proprietary data cable it needs.) The very first one was this one.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #57
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
what a timely... errrr "discussion" and how ironic it is that such a campaign to insert a french word into common english usage inspires such passion
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #58
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Timely....if you're Doctor Who That article was last updated at 11:26 PM on 2nd September 2008 and it's from the Daily Mail (a laughable right-wing, scaremongering, British tabloid.)
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #59
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
sorry, I looked at the top of the page which had today's date. as to the quality of the publication *shrug* I'm not British and wouldn't know. regardless. it is certainly a fact that the french have had a long standing struggle to "ban" foreign words
Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #60
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
sorry, I looked at the top of the page which had today's date. as to the quality of the publication *shrug* I'm not British and wouldn't know. regardless. it is certainly a fact that the french have had a long standing struggle to "ban" foreign words
The Daily Mail is like the Fox News of British tabloid journalism (most British journalism is shoddy anyway, whichever side pays for the content).

I'm not sure what the French national approach to language adoption has to do with the adoption of French words into the English Language. The precedent is that the English Language (and let's not forget that the English language is at least part French) regularly accepts words from other 'foreign' tongues and incorporates them into our common lexicon. Thus making Liseuse an acceptable word to embrace as an English speaker.

It's not like we're trying to get every native French speaker in the world to take on board the word 'minger' Then it would be a whole different kettle of fish.
Closed Thread