Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Books removed from fictionwise?

It seems that my wishlist on fictionwise is suddenly half as small as it used to be. Upon investigation, it looks some books are no longer on sale, e.g. all books by Scott Westerfeld some of which were on my wishlist?

One book from him I bought is still displayed on my bookshelf but when I try to download it I get the following error: Error : Download is not authorized for this retailer.

Anybody knows what happened, and how many books are affected? Is it retailing to this 'agency model pricing' I've been hearing about?

EDIT: And of course this happens the very day I want to buy the last tome of a a fantasy trilogy I'm really enjoying! How frustrating!

EDIT again: Never mind me, I found the relevant thread on the general forum. Mods feel free to remove this post, sorry about the disturbance.

Last edited by chlorine; 03-31-2010 at 03:56 PM.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Whoa. I just reported something similar at eReader.com.
See Disappearing books at eReader.com Under the General forum.

rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Not only have titles been cut back, the formats available for certain titles have also be reduced.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Expect this at all ebook retailers. Until the publisher's new Agency Model pricing structure can be implemented, your wishlists and the selection available will both suffer disappearances.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
It appears that the cause of the disapearing titles is thta Hatchette have pulled all their tirles from on-line retailers. The following appears on Books on Board whe n you click the link as to wehy a title is not available for download. This is not the first time that Hatchette have done this. A couple of years ago when the furoreor geo restrictions cpmmencede, Hatchette also pulled their books.

We are sorry that your ebook download is temporarily unavailable.

Hachette (the Publisher) has pulled all of its titles, as well as its imprints, from US distribution. The Hachette imprints included in this process are:

•Hachette Audio
•Hachette Book Group
•Grand Central Publishing
•Little, Brown
•Little, Brown Adult Books
•Little, Brown and Company
•Little, Brown and Company (UK)
•Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
•FaithWords
•WindBlown Media
•Orbit
•Yen Press
•Center Street
This issue is affecting all eBook retailers and not just BooksOnBoard. We are working with our distributors to resolve this issue as soon as possible. In the meantime, please help us out by writing the publisher directly at: customer.service@hbgusa.com.

Thank you,

Your BooksOnBoard Support Team
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
If FictionWise knew this was coming, why didn't they send an email to members informing them that prices were about to be raised? They have no problem sending out email about sales.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
If FictionWise knew this was coming, why didn't they send an email to members informing them that prices were about to be raised? They have no problem sending out email about sales.
While Fictionwise probably could have handled this better, it's worth pointing out that BooksOnBoard did send out such an email and have been condemned for scaremongering in order to drive sales ahead of the change.

The fact is that the price increases will not be across the board, and the new model could also see some prices fall. It's all very confusing as it's been driven through by these five publishers at very short notice, probably in order to get the new pricing in place by the time the iPad launches.

Until the dust settles it's not at all clear what the outcome will be, and how the prices will really be affected.

It's also the imposition of sales tax on eBook sales in some states according to this new model that's going to have a significant effect on some stores and catalogues.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
While Fictionwise probably could have handled this better, it's worth pointing out that BooksOnBoard did send out such an email and have been condemned for scaremongering in order to drive sales ahead of the change.

The fact is that the price increases will not be across the board, and the new model could also see some prices fall. It's all very confusing as it's been driven through by these five publishers at very short notice, probably in order to get the new pricing in place by the time the iPad launches.

Until the dust settles it's not at all clear what the outcome will be, and how the prices will really be affected.

It's also the imposition of sales tax on eBook sales in some states according to this new model that's going to have a significant effect on some stores and catalogues.

Graham
I think that Fictionwise could have alerted customers to ensure that the had the opportunity to download titles if they needed to do so. However the fact that Books on Board did not, indicates that the publisher pulled the books without notice. Either way, customers have likely been disadvantaged by this move from Hatchette. Thankfully all of my books are downloaded and liberated so are still avaialble to me, but I am sure that is not the case for all of Hatchette's customers.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Is the Sales Tax going to applied to all sales or only for states where the publisher has a physical presence?
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
For the states where the publishers have a "significant" presence.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
For the states where the publishers have a "significant" presence.
So... New York?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
So... New York?
I'm pretty sure that would be a big yes, since they tax businesses that don't even have a presence in NY, i.e. Amazon. I lived the first half of my life there, but am glad to be living elsewhere now, where the tax burden isn't so onerous. And the winters don't suck as much either...

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
Yep, a lot of titles gone today. From what I could tell my Buywise membership has expired, but I had $100+ in micropay. So I spent $60 of it today, but only because those titles were still on my wishlist. I'll see if the other titles pop up tomorrow...after that I'm on to other vendors.
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
My prediction that my wishlist would get cheaper was true. However, it also got SMALLER with an increased average book price....

Before: $356 / 41 books

Now: $109.29 / 12 books

An announcement, note on home page, smoke signal, anything would have been appreciated. At least BoB and Kobo told their customers. I'll check again in the morning. If they are gone forever, FW has done a terrible disservice to their customers.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I had about 40 books in my wishlist, today there were 5...

I'm done with Fictionwise. Three of those 5 books were restricted to me, the other two were multiformat. I put those in my cart and bought them with my remaining micropay.

It's sayonara Fictionwise. After 7 years of faithful buying, I've decided to leave. I hope B&N have a lot of fun in the future, I think they are ruining FW so they can close it down in favour of their own store.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote