Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Update on the Textbooks on Kindle Experiments

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33298480...h_and_gadgets/

The article surveyed students actually using pre-loaded Kindles and reported a "lukewarm response" to the experience.

Pros: light weight, TTS, portability, music downloads, minesweeper.

Cons: keyboard, PDF handling woes, no page numbers, clunky highlighting & note taking, lack of sticky notes & color highlighting.

Obviously a work in progress. At least the students get to keep their Kindles.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Sounds about the same as an earlier article which talked to the Princeton students.

Annotation definitely needs to be addressed. Not sure how you can really improve that other than using a touch-screen with a stylus to actually hand-write notes, especially with the larger form factors.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Annotation definitely needs to be addressed. Not sure how you can really improve that other than using a touch-screen with a stylus to actually hand-write notes, especially with the larger form factors.
That's what it will take IMO.

Bigger screen and stylus for making notes and highlighting. It's what I'm waiting for for my academic work--done studying, but still have to read and annotate scholarly articles and books related to my research and teaching etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I just write my notes on the screen with a grease pencil, then take a photograph of it and wipe the screen off while waiting for the next page to load. I can then develop the film and run off prints, bind them together to make a book with all my margin notes and everything viewable right on the page! No need to waste my time with unwieldy traditional books!
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
LOL!! (oh, I *do* hope you are kidding!)

Skimming is harder in an ereader too. Like, reading bold print lines, paragraph summaries, and titles .... while studying for a test. You can't go very fast through an ebook. IMHO, they are still best for actually *reading* and not needing to re-read.
Like, for books that are for pleasure!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, refresh rate needs to be quick so you can flip "pages" quickly.

I'm personally fine with LCD for my work. Probably seldom use it for more than an hour or two at a time--and never more 4 or 5. So battery life and eye strain aren't a big deal for me personally.

Give me a tablet with a 10" screen or so, that has an awesome stylus writing function and can flip pages with no lag and I'll buy it.

Leisure reading--I'd stick with my Kindle for that. E-ink devices are ideal for that. Small, great battery life, easy on the eyes. But I don't care so much about those for a work tablet to use for reading and marking up academic articles and books, grading student papers etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote