Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
timothy
Inveterate Reader
timothy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre and PRS 505 on Mac?

I installed Calibre .5.3 on my PPC imac, running OSX 10.5.6, and placed a few books in the library. I added tagwords, then connected my PRS505. The reader and card mount in Finder, but when I try to send a book to the reader I get this msg-

NoneType' object has no attribute 'FORMATS'
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 409, in dispatch_sync_event
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'FORMATS'

I can drag a book to the reader's folder, and the reader will then display the book. However, it doesn't appear in any of the collections, though I added those to the book's metadata.

Will Calibre recognize the reader on a Mac, or does this work only on the hated windows, like the Sony software and Adobe Digital Editions?

If not, is there a way to send books to the reader and have the reader sort them into collections. I can, if necessary, add collections via the Sony Library, which is installed on our netbook.

Thanks for any help.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you connect the reader, wait or the hourglass to stop spinning, only then try sending books to the reader
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
timothy
Inveterate Reader

Thanks for the prompt response. The hourglass wasn't spinning. I decided to restart the mac (something I seldom do, of course) and that fixed the non-connection problem. Now it will send to the reader. Great! I'm still puzzled by the collections, though. I edited the metadata on a pdf book to include tags -History, Warfare- then converted it to lrf and sent it to the reader. It displays properly, but doesn't appear in the collections. I deleted media.xml from the reader before doing this. It reconstructed the collections, including Warfare, which didn't exist before (History I had put on with the Sony Library). So it seems that the reader is collecting the metadata, but not placing the book into the collection. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I edited the metadata on a pdf book to include tags -History, Warfare- then converted it to lrf and sent it to the reader. It displays properly, but doesn't appear in the collections.
A couple of ideas. May work or may not:

1. Check to make sure the metadata is correct after converting. I have found that sometimes the metadata is not correct if I add it before converting especially if done in bulk.

2. When you have your reader connected, choose the reader internal memory or card memory in calibre. Calibre should then show all your files on the reader. You can see if your tags are correct on those files. I have occasionally found that my reader corrupts the metadata tags with reboots or the card popping out after biking to work. If the file metadata is not the same on the reader as in calibre, then if may be easier to remove all the books and readd all of the books again.

3. Maybe you need to reset your reader using the button on the back of the reader.

4. If you used the Sony connect software previously, there are problems if both are used/present on your Mac. Not sure about the details of this since I never put the sony software on my Mac and have always used calibre only. Perhaps reformatting your memory/card/reader using the utilities on the reader and then adding all the books via calibre might fix this.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
timothy
Inveterate Reader

Number 4 worked. Thanks!
Advert