Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Can not install Sony ebook library on Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Before you send me to the sticky topic for manual installation I have to say -been there done that, and it does not work. No matter how I install the software when I start it it just hangs in memory without ever showing up any window at all. Any ideas?

I have windows vista home premium SP1 32-bit.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
Before you send me to the sticky topic for manual installation I have to say -been there done that, and it does not work. No matter how I install the software when I start it it just hangs in memory without ever showing up any window at all. Any ideas?

I have windows vista home premium SP1 32-bit.
Hard to know what to suggest without knowing what you have done.

Is this a brand new install, meaning you never had this on your PC before at all?

Did you check your DEP settings?

Does is hang or just open and close? The process is still running or it doesn't load at all?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hard to know what to suggest without knowing what you have done.
Quite simple - I installed for the first time latest version of ebook library.

Quote:
Is this a brand new install, meaning you never had this on your PC before at all?
yes it is - brand new install.

Quote:
Did you check your DEP settings?
I tuned that off.

Quote:
Does is hang or just open and close? The process is still running or it doesn't load at all?
It hangs during startup. It never shows main window it is just visible as a process in task manager. And I have to kill it from there.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It hangs during startup. It never shows main window it is just visible as a process in task manager. And I have to kill it from there.
Did you run the install "as administrator" and are you running the application "as administrator"?

Are the any error messages in your event viewer for this application?

BOb
Old 11-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:
Did you run the install "as administrator" and are you running the application "as administrator"?
Yes.

Quote:
Are the any error messages in your event viewer for this application?
No. I even tried to use dependency walker to trace what is being loaded but it also hangs....

I tried disabling anti virus and that did not help so I'm out of ideas....
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes.

No. I even tried to use dependency walker to trace what is being loaded but it also hangs....

I tried disabling anti virus and that did not help so I'm out of ideas....
Are you running a firewall? How long does it hang for...perhaps it is doing something? Does the process show CPU or disk activity?

BOb
Old 11-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:
Are you running a firewall? How long does it hang for...perhaps it is doing something? Does the process show CPU or disk activity?

BOb
No. I do not use any firewall since I'm behind router. Process does not show any activity (0% cpu). Also no disk activity...

Here is a screenshot of my task manager

Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Is it possible to change the OS language to English? This may be the issue.

BOb
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:

BOb
I really doubt that. I also have another machine with Windows XP Home in Spanish and ebook library works perfect.

But since I do not have any other idea I'll try switching the language...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:

BOb
I investigated this issue with language change and it involves a lot of hacking since language switch is only supported for Vista Ultimate and Enterprise. Any other Vista can only have one language pack installed at a time.

I'm giving up here...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I investigated this issue with language change and it involves a lot of hacking since language switch is only supported for Vista Ultimate and Enterprise. Any other Vista can only have one language pack installed at a time.

I'm giving up here...
Sorry we couldn't get it going. I don't know what else to do.

BOb
Old 12-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
dumbnose
dumbnose began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I am also experiencing this exact same issue. I am running an English version of Vista. I have followed all of the uninstall / reinstall steps, without any success. Very frustrating.
dumbnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
jvonier
jvonier began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I had a similar issue, I downloaded the software directly from Sony, and it installed with no issues.
jvonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:32 AM   #14
kiklop74
Guru

I also downloaded software from sony website and no luck. Still does not work...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 AM   #15
PGP_Protector
Enthusiast
PGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Tagging thread as I'm now also getting no joy from the Sony's Lovely :cough: EBook software.

DEP off no joy
Install / Run as Administrator no joy

Event View Log
Code:
The program eBook Library.exe version 2.5.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 1510 Start Time: 01c98047ed523ee1 Termination Time: 5
Code:
Faulting application eBook Library.exe, version 2.5.0.0, time stamp 0x48c71e1f, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00068915, process id 0x10cc, application start time 0x01c98047de7688e1.
PGP_Protector is offline   Reply With Quote