Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
New Cool-ER firmware (29th December 2009)

Just in case anyone hasn't seen, Interead released a new firmware version on the 29th of December.
It seems to be a very slight update to the one released on the 23rd of November (ebr reader was previous 1.12.9 and is now 1.12.9-1)

From what I've seen they haven't yet re-enabled the resume-reading function when the reader is powered back on.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
Thanks for that - Cool-er never send out notifications of firmware updates.

Is it worth updating? Is there a list of changes anywhere, or have you figured out what's new?

Thanks,
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I haven't been able to see anything new in this version, though I haven't had a thorough search. I'm guessing it's just a few bug fixes.

I'm still using the earlier firmware version until they re-enable the resume-reading option.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
i installed it, seem to be WOrst than the previous version.
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
codeMonkey
Zealot

What about it are you finding worse?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
New Cool-ER firmware

Is it really a new firmware ? I just checked the binaries when it was released and couldn't find anything new other than the release for EB500 added to it.
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
codeMonkey
Zealot

It's hard to tell, since any changes are hidden in the reader program itself. Since it was such a minor update the version number was only fractionally updated.

From what I can tell if you tried to load it onto an eb500 it would fail anyway - they haven't included the file structure for the eb500 like they have for the eb600/em.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
it became a bit more stable with pdf that has more graphics, however for some rtf / doc type files, even HTML, I experienced hanging issue.
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Hi,
My Cool-er has landed and the firmware is 1.12.6 Can any experienced firmware changers out there advise me if I should upgrade this or not?
Thank you.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
Hope you have a lot of pleasure from your new Cool-er.

I had to return mine to Argos on Monday as it had broken, but they replaced it with a new one that was also v.1.12.6. I dithered but decided to go ahead and update it with the penultimate firmware update, 1.12.9_1119.rar because I knew that it worked. The latest update is a zip file - but doesn't seem to have much else different. You can see all of the updates at:

http://www.coolreaders.com/downloads/fw/

The main differences between 1.12.6 and 1.12.9 are:

- the grey palette screen has been replaced by "tram tracks" showing the progress at the cool-er starts up

-in 1.12.9 the cool-er always starts at the folder menu page instead of, as previously, at the last ebook being read. That means that if you do have a corrupt ebook, the reader won't just loop (something that I've experienced). However, several forum members have felt that they would much rather return to the place in the book they were last reading,

regards,
Pamela
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Thank you Pamela for your very helpful reply, thank you for taking so much trouble. I am taking my cool-er away for a holiday on Saturday, I hope it doesn't break down - it came from argos . . . . I was amazed by the packing for the post or rather lack of it. They just chucked it in a plastic bag.
All my free books seem to be in Italian but on my computer they are english, how strange is that?I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again for taking so much trouble with your reply.
Amanda
Old 01-22-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
codeMonkey
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
I am taking my cool-er away for a holiday on Saturday, I hope it doesn't break down
Annoyingly, that happened to me on the first day of my last holiday - I keep a copy of the firmware and all of my books in a folder on the sd card now, so if it happens again I can easily get it up and running again.
I haven't had a problem since the newer firmware, however, so hopefully nothing will happen.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
Orn8one
Groupie

Hi CodeMonkey, thanks so much for your advice. I am very new to this and if you can help me before I leave tomorrow afternoon I would be very grateful. Two questions please:
How do I get the books on to the sd card? Frustratingly I can't see how to achieve that through the adobe digital editions.
Also was the firmware you experienced your problem with the 1.12.6? Did you upgrade to 1.12.9_1119.rar [the non zip ver] like panda53?
Thank you
Old 01-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
books

You can directly transfer books to the SD card by accessing it directly from your computer like you would a USB flash drive.

You do need to know where you ebooks are on your hard drive, I am guessing yours are probably in your My Documents area.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks Sassanik, I had actually just worked that out before you so kindly replied.

I have upgraded the software to the 1st December version 1.12.9.119 rar as advised and it worked beautifully. It is certainly much better software and I am pleased to say that I have succeeded in copying my ADE books back directly off the SD card.

The menus are far superior to 1.12.6 and the operation is smoother. So off on holiday tomorrow with it working just in time.

Thanks also to Code Monkey for the help and advice; will keep an eye on the forum whilst away (because I'm a sad person!)

Amanda