Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Need help with regex expression

I am trying to use find and replace in MS Word to get rid of footnote references in a text file. The references are in the form [n] or [nn] where n represents a numerical digit.

I presume that the bracket symbols, [] must be protected in the regex lingo because everything I try doesn't work.

I have tried both [?] and[*] (wildcards) and they don't work. I would appreciate any help.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
MSWord uses nonstandard terms for regular expressions.

This one will work: (\[*\])

But I recommend that you use this one: (\[?\]) add more '?' as needed to catch all the desired terms
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
nate i assume when you use \ in a regex that means to look for the leading character instead of it being used as part of the formatting? if so i think that makes it so it finally makes sense to me.

I find that Notepad++ works great for removing junk lines in the text.
in notepad++
go to search > find
search for a term that appears in the lines you want to remove.
check mark line, hit find all.
go to search > delete bookmarked lines
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
nate i assume when you use \ in a regex that means to look for the leading character instead of it being used as part of the formatting? if so i think that makes it so it finally makes sense to me.

I find that Notepad++ works great for removing junk lines in the text.
in notepad++
go to search > find
search for a term that appears in the lines you want to remove.
check mark line, hit find all.
go to search > delete bookmarked lines

The characters [] have a special meaning in regular expressions. A slash '\' is placed before each one to force the use of the non-special meaning.

Anyway, I tested the expressions I provided above. They work correctly in MSWord.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The characters [] have a special meaning in regular expressions. A slash '\' is placed before each one to force the use of the non-special meaning.
thank you, they finally make sense to me.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It sometimes is worth looking to see whether the footnotes are in a particular style. If so, you can search and delete the instances of the style.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In vim it could be: \[\d\+\]

\[, \]: literal [ and ]
\d: a digit
\+: repeated one or more times.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

But I recommend that you use this one: (\[?\]) add more '?' as needed to catch all the desired terms
Thanks for the reply, Nate. Works great.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Sooo.... Does anyone understand how to get Word to replace the string 'p. ###', where ### can be anything from 1 to 999, with a space? Without having to do a separate find/replace on 3-digit, then 2-digit, then 1-digit numeric strings?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Sooo.... Does anyone understand how to get Word to replace the string 'p. ###', where ### can be anything from 1 to 999, with a space? Without having to do a separate find/replace on 3-digit, then 2-digit, then 1-digit numeric strings?

Derek
Look for this:

(p. [0-9]{1,3})
Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Nate,

Thanks!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
daesdaemar
Addict

Nate,

You're a wonder at these expressions. Do you have any suggestions for where I might teach myself this stuff? I use primarily Word for my editing.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
In vim it could be: \[\d\+\]

\[, \]: literal [ and ]
\d: a digit
\+: repeated one or more times.
\d+ is also working (for pagenumbers, for example)

Andy's way also works fine and is fast but can lead to errors (overkill) if you're not conscientious. You really have to be sure that there is nothing else on that line you're looking for ever!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 01-18-2009 at 02:57 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Do you have any suggestions for where I might teach myself this stuff? I use primarily Word for my editing.
Okay I'm not Nate so parding me for intruding, now to answer your question

MS Word does not use standard regular notation and in addition it's implementation is inferior to true RegEx. But it is still powerful and conceptually still make use of the regular expression concepts

I'd recommend reading http://www.regular-expressions.info/

These two articles are pretty good. They got me started when I decided to write the BookCreator tool
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...873041033.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...873051033.aspx

Also there are scores of Perl and Javascript tutorials that use regular expressions. The syntax will be a little different but they still try to solve the same problems and you will learn from the exercise of converting the syntax.

Reglar expressions have a steep learning curve but once your over the first hump, you'll realize its the best invention since coffee. ... Yea I know the saying is sliced bread but give me coffee and regluar expressions --hmmmm I'm in heaven.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

If, as stated, the footnote reference is numeric, then:

\[[0-9]*\]

is safer in that it will only catch numeric references.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote