Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #61
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Hello,

Thank you for all the effort on CoolRead, it is the best and most stable of all the alternatives I have tried.

A fast question with respect to this info from the FAQ above:

"Standard fonts in native membranes Kindle
Corrected for the correct operation of the native Kindle fonts shell (rename (written by the scheme below) is not required)."

Please explain a bit here: where to put the files from the corrected archive and what is the problem these fonts solve.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #62
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Hello,

Thank you for all the effort on CoolRead, it is the best and most stable of all the alternatives I have tried.

A fast question with respect to this info from the FAQ above:

"Standard fonts in native membranes Kindle
Corrected for the correct operation of the native Kindle fonts shell (rename (written by the scheme below) is not required)."
Please explain a bit here: where to put the files from the corrected archive and what is the problem these fonts solve.
These are fonts of original software (KindleOS). And now they are available as renamed for CoolReader.(also included in the zip file on the post) Otherwise, to use them on CoolReader one needs to change their names according to CoolReader's format.

If you want to use , copy them into folder: cr3/fonts

Last edited by thomass; 11-20-2011 at 04:05 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #63
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Since my last message I played a lot with CoolReader for Kindle. As I see it, its only "fault" is that it does not read PDF's, which is not actually an issue anyway.

The fact that I may walk through the directories structure is a huge advantage, and hyphenation is an important feature. Am I right that CR is better than the original reader on the Kindle device even when reading MOBI, PRC, AZW books? If the answer is "not", what I have missed? If the answer is "yes", then is there a mean to have CR as the default reader on kindle and run the original one as needed? Or, maybe, to alter the device menu and allow to initialize Launchpad and run CR from the menu, instead using the keypad?

On a different, unrelated note: how would starting CR work on the new Kindle Touch, as it does not have a keyboard in the first place?

Thank you (again).
Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #64
hfpop
Addict

Ok, I was too happy. I just found there are problems with Romanian characters, while theFrench characters are displayed well. No problems, however, with the default reader w.r.t. fonts. Are the unicode fonts supported?

Last edited by hfpop; 11-26-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #65
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok, I was too happy. I just found there are problems with Romanian characters, while theFrench characters are displayed well. No problems, however, with the default reader w.r.t. fonts. Are the unicode fonts supported?
please try this: find a correct font for romanian characters and rename its files according to FAQ, then copy to cr3/fonts.
let us know the result

Quote:

On a different, unrelated note: how would starting CR work on the new Kindle Touch, as it does not have a keyboard in the first place?

Thank you (again).
in the first place there should be a jailbreak for Kindle Touch to use CR on it which doesn't exist for now.

Quote:
then is there a mean to have CR as the default reader on kindle and run the original one as needed? Or, maybe, to alter the device menu and allow to initialize Launchpad and run CR from the menu, instead using the keypad?
This sort of things need a hack to change KindleOS's behaviour which is not related with CR directly.
Maybe one can write a script for you to launch CR on every boots.
Quote:
Am I right that CR is better than the original reader on the Kindle device even when reading MOBI, PRC, AZW books? If the answer is "not", what I have missed?
You cant read DRMed mobi files on CR, also there is not whispernet and active content support on CR.
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #66
hfpop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
please try this: find a correct font for romanian characters and rename its files according to FAQ, then copy to cr3/fonts.
let us know the result
Rendering of EPUB books with Romanian characters works normal. Rendering of MOBI books with Romanian characters raises the issue described above: it looks as if the unicode fonts are dealt correctly with EPUB, but not with MOBI. It may be consistent with the german umlaut issue raised earlier in this thread.

Quote:
in the first place there should be a jailbreak for Kindle Touch to use CR on it which doesn't exist for now.

This sort of things need a hack to change KindleOS's behaviour which is not related with CR directly.
Yes, neither issue concerns CR directly. I was dreaming with loud voice as of how would this work in a touch, and keyboardless environment.

Quote:
Maybe one can write a script for you to launch CR on every boots.
I will need to study this. I am thinking about the following scenario:
- start CR at every boot (should be easy with usbnetwork; I assume a unix environment on kindle);
- use a file manager (even with keyboard run);
- the file manager starts CR with .epub and other files
- and starts the standard reader with the other files, where the standard reader works best.

Quote:
You cant read DRMed mobi files on CR, also there is not whispernet and active content support on CR.
Yes, you are right. I ignored these two issues, I was thinking about the reading experience alone, i.e. the main functionality of a reader.

I will keep in touch. Thank you.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #67
hfpop
Addict

Quote:
Rendering of EPUB books with Romanian characters works normal. Rendering of MOBI books with Romanian characters raises the issue described above: it looks as if the unicode fonts are dealt correctly with EPUB, but not with MOBI. It may be consistent with the german umlaut issue raised earlier in this thread.
Wait. EPUB files may contain fonts, while MOBI files do not. Right? The Romanian EPUB file I am trying is rendered the same without regard to what font CR is currently using. The French EPUB file I am trying is rendered differently, according to the font CR is currently using. May this be the reason why it works? If yes, the problem is the font selected in settings, which is rendered incorrectly for MOBI. But with the same font selected in Kindle (through the jailbreak hack), the MOBI files look right.

Does this make sense? Or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by hfpop; 11-26-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #68
hfpop
Addict

The Romanian characters are displayed exactly like Firefox would display a Romanian language page with wrong character encoding: Western 1252, and not Unicode UTF-8. Is there a way to change the character encoding from the settings? Maybe a css file? For epub, there is a css file I may play with, but what css file is accessed for mobi?

I tried now, and can confirm that this problem appears with CR3 for Win32 as well, so it definitely is not about the port. hank you for bearing with me on this issue.

Last edited by hfpop; 11-26-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #69
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
I tried now, and can confirm that this problem appears with CR3 for Win32 as well, so it definitely is not about the port. hank you for bearing with me on this issue.
If you wish, you can use this forum to report this bug: forum.coolreader.org
Old 12-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #70
bobb40
Enthusiast
bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle4, KoboGlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
For black background and white letters change crengine.display.inverse parameter to 1.
For two column view change window.landscape.pages parameter to 2.
Where can I get a list of all cr3.ini settings and explanation of their values?

I got cr3 running on Kindle3. Works well and looks good, but after many restarts it came up with screen rotated 90 degrees. Settings menu does not seem to affect screen rotation (or have I missed something?).

Thanks
bobb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #71
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Look in the FAQ spoiler in post#60 of this thread.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #72
bobb40
Enthusiast
bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobb40 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Look in the FAQ spoiler in post#60 of this thread.
Thanks. I'm putting those "spoiler"s on my Kindle! Simply "R" rotates the screen 90 degrees. I must've pressed it accidentally.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #73
bobb40
Enthusiast

jump to link

The latest CR3 for Linux is installed on my PC. The mouse moves the cursor on the CR3 page. When I position the cursor over a link and click, CR3 goes to the linked item.

So CR3 must contain a function to update the CR3 cursor, and there must be a function to move to the linked location. But I've been searching the crengine source and I can't find them. C++ is not my bag, so maybe I'm looking right at them and not recognizing them.

What I'd like to do is reassign the Kindle's Key_Up and Key_Down to control the cursor, and reassign Key_Select to "Go_To_Link", so that the 5-way (joystick) behaves for CR3 links as it does for those of Kindle.

Has anybody got hints or suggestions?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #74
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
does anyone know that, is this software working on kindle touch?
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #75
mitiavoice
mitiavoice began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi!
Has anybody tried to have chinese text with cool reader?

Would it be possible to have color dict in order to get pop ups with chinese english, russian english dictionaries?
mitiavoice is offline   Reply With Quote