Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it time to move the Astak Forum
Yes 18 50.00%
No 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Is it time to move the Astak Forum?

It seems like interest in Astak is rapidly declining. Should we move the Astak forum to the More Devices section
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The mods will determine when this happens.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course. Is there anything wrong with getting forum members opinions?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Of course. Is there anything wrong with getting forum members opinions?
No but if there is a lot of support in this poll it means it is unlikely to move as it will have lots of readers. it is kind of a catch 22.

Dale
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
No but if there is a lot of support in this poll it means it is unlikely to move as it will have lots of readers. it is kind of a catch 22.

Dale
So if very few people vote, that means there is little interest in the forum, so it will get moved?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So if very few people vote, that means there is little interest in the forum, so it will get moved?

Well, not based on the poll, but based on active interest in the forum over a sustained period of time.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
I have never been personally involved in a forum before, so I do not understand forum politics, and I apologize in advance.

Let me understand this situation better so I can bring this information to my boss. If traffic slows on one particular topic, then the topic must be moved to a "General" or "Other" section?

Also, admittedly I am biased, but is this poll closed to all users? I was not allowed to place my vote or see how another user could vote aside from the initial "first".

I will send an email to the MobileRead staff about this issue once I understand better. Since we are 'out of stock' temporarily, will our forum be moved until devices are back in stock? Where will we announce future devices or any other information? Can we still provide support on our own thread?
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifer.ezread View Post

Also, admittedly I am biased, but is this poll closed to all users? I was not allowed to place my vote or see how another user could vote aside from the initial "first".

When I created the poll, I checked the box that said don't make the results public (or something like that). I think everyone should be able to vote.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

To: Jenifer

No, it is kept as a forum. It is just moved to the secondary list of less popular forums. If you scroll down the forums near the bottom of this group is the Hanlin forum which is is in the secondary of forums. It behaves almost the same but takes up less space on the forum page. The Hanlin forum is a good forum and has a lot of the same people as the Astak forum but is related more to the hardware and not the company.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

We have had people request to put groups in the main area before and have people ask us to create forums for their readers but this is the first time anyone, other than a moderator, request to declassify a major forum into a minor one. Normally users like their forums but I would guess this is intended to punish Astak like the threads that say too late, I bought something else.

Dale
Old 11-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
We have had people request to put groups in the main area before and have people ask us to create forums for their readers but this is the first time anyone, other than a moderator, request to declassify a major forum into a minor one. Normally users like their forums but I would guess this is intended to punish Astak like the threads that say too late, I bought something else.

Dale
This forum used to get high traffic and it made sense to have a top level.

Sort of make sense to give up a prime slot, since the (Manufacturer delivery of the) product is not currently available.

Actually, the Forum should change it's name to Simply Astak, since a lot of support for the Mentor line took place here.

My 2 cents
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Hey, I'm unique!

I was browsing the forums, and from the main page noticed that the Astak forum only had 2 people viewing. I was bored, so I started a poll. My apologies if I'm wasting the moderators and/or forum members time. Did I mention I was bored.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
As long as I can still offer support and make announcements, via a thread or our own section, I think it's best to let the moderators decide if they would like to downgrade or move our forum.

As Dale mentioned, it does sound like some form of "punishment", which is fine. My priority here is to make sure that our customers who are looking for help receive help, and anyone asking questions about the device are answered to the best of my ability.
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This forum used to get high traffic and it made sense to have a top level.

Sort of make sense to give up a prime slot, since the (Manufacturer delivery of the) product is not currently available.

Actually, the Forum should change it's name to Simply Astak, since a lot of support for the Mentor line took place here.

My 2 cents
+1

I agree here. There use to be a high level of traffic, but of late it is only people conversing as to the continuity of the company and seeking when/if stock will be up for sale.

It's funny you mention the Mentor line as it does not appear you can buy the Mentor from Astak anymore, which begs the question, if contractual issues exist between the company and the factory manufacturing the EZ Line, why not in the interim push hard the Mentor line or find another e-reader to distribute?? There has been close to 3 months of "out of stock" and removal of any mention of the Mentor line with Astak/EZRead. If anyone here knows about risk management and corporate failure....well from where we are sitting things are not looking good.

All I know is regardless of what happens on this forum Astak will have a hard time re-entering the market and being successful. Be very difficult for them to say "Here is our EZ Reader Plus again for $179" when a person can pay $139 for a Kindle/Nook wifi with ebookstore integration, regular updates etc, or $149 for a Kobo wifi - once again ebookstore integration (loosely translating into ease of use for people who just want to read). Heck for $179 you buy a Sony with once again ebookstore integration and funky touchscreen and pearl display (and even though ebookstore integration is there the end user has the option of installing ADE if they so choose and buy ebooks elsewhere - Kindle excluded of course).

So all I can say is....there is a big challenge ahead and remaining essentially dormant for the last few months is only making the job harder. I honestly believe they should have pushed the Mentor in the interim or found another ereader to keep themselves in the market. My thoughts anyway.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I think the EzReader forum got it's main slot because how much of a voice RobertB was for Astak. He didn't just post in this forum. He was all over MR posting, mentioning the EZReader to potential buyers and was just all around friendly guy. He was apart of this community because that what a forum is, it's a community. People felt they could come here and get help, discuss stories, ideas and tips for their readers. Now it's just a place to complain really about the company and problems with the readers.

It might be a good idea to move the forum because it would get less exposure and right now that's a good thing with all the negative threads if Astak ever digs itself out of the grave it has dug itself...because the last thing you need is people seeing all these threads. It will defaintly turn potential buyers away.

I really loved it here when I first came. This forum's flavor was really nice. people were nice, helpful and all around friendly. I find some of the other places here at MR have more conflict and trolls and just not that homey feeling that this place once held.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote