Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Roby71
Roby71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Metadata download error

Hi everyone!
I'm having problems downloading metadata and covers.
I use Calibre Portable 1.20 on a pendrive on 3 pcs (one with Vista and two with XP SP3). On one XP I can't download metadata nor covers. It says (after 8-10 secs wait) "error downloading metadata. Click show details for more details". But there is no "show details" button!
I presume this has something to do with permissions, because, accessing in safe mode, I could download without problem (but still no show details button).

This is what I tried: shutting off both antivirus (AVG) and firewall (Windows), reinstalling Calibre Portable, logging as admin, changing Calibre Temp path, changing timeout and maybe something else.
Anyone has some idea?
Thanks in advance.
Roby

Last edited by Roby71; 01-27-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Roby71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Roby71 - given you've tried all the obvious things, and that you have probably read & considered what's in the the FAQ section of the manual, I suspect its another program that you run on that specific PC - could be that you don't even know its there.

If you have Process Explorer (available from MS for free) then you could save a list of running processes from the different machines, then you could see if there's something running the the problem XP box and not the others.

Or you could close down all the 3rd party programs that are running including those in the tray - msi config lists what it starts at boot time in its Startup tab. If calibre metadata download is then OK, then restart them one by one until it stops working. Then decide what to do with the other program - ditch it, stop it when using calibre etc

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-27-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Roby71
Roby71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks for your reply; I tried (again) to shut down processes, but nothing changed (I couldn't shut down AVG, only suspend it. The only way would be to exclude it from the startup... I'll try that too).

BTW, I find very strange that there's no "Show details" button.
Is there anyone else with Calibre Portable and XP sp3 that's missing it too?

Thanks for your help.
Roby
Roby71 is offline   Reply With Quote