Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #31
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyotter View Post
We're thinking of getting one for a parent whose eyesight is failing and the 600 is better on zooming the text than the 300. I was concerned that the 600 might have poorer contrast, however. What do you/others think?
Aside: has anyone tried loading books straight onto an SD card and using on the 600?
I would recommend the 600 for the parent providing they will use a good light for reading. The weaker contrast is minimized to the point of none issue for me (others would disagree). Otherwise the 300 is probably a better choice for plain reading due to its superior clarity and contrast, IMHO.

I have loaded pdf's and free epub's to an SDHC card. No problems with that. I can't seem to get the Sony Library software to run on my PC at work, so the memory cards are one work around.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #32
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I looked at that possibility, but no, I really was carefull to only tap the upper right corner. But honestly, the upper right corner is not really an exact description where to tap. I found though, that it works better if I really tap so close to the aluminum frame that I almost everytime touch the frame when I put bookmarks.
I wonder if recalibrating the touch screen function would help?
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #33
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
I wonder if recalibrating the touch screen function would help?
Good idea. I will do this right now.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #34
booksonthemove
Connoisseur
booksonthemove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 with latest Calibre and Linux Ubuntu-9.10
Quote:
I have loaded pdf's and free epub's to an SDHC card. No problems with that. I can't seem to get the Sony Library software to run on my PC at work, so the memory cards are one work around.
I've never used the sony software (am on linux). Why not use calibre to manage your books? That's what I'm using, and it's great!
booksonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #35
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey! Just ran across this at the Sony bookstore:

Knitting Under the Influence: $1.99 February 5 Spot
by Claire LaZebnik

Shhhh!! Kenny if my wife see's that I lose my Reader .. Pemenantly !!!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Shhhh!! Kenny if my wife see's that I lose my Reader .. Pemenantly !!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #37
Ken401
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksonthemove View Post
I've never used the sony software (am on linux). Why not use calibre to manage your books? That's what I'm using, and it's great!
You're right, Calibre is another way to go while at work. I have experimented with it a bit. I wish I could figure out why the Sony Library doesn't open at work so I could access the store...maybe its a firewall issue...
Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #38
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpstrucker View Post
I've been using a PRS-300 for a little while now but after learning of some of the additional features of the 600 I wanted one. I was especially wanting the ability to expand the storage as well as wanting the touchpad features including hand-writing notes.
I just came out of the Nook/Kindle/ebook thread at KnittingHelp and I was shocked to see your avatar come up here!

I was even more surprised to see how well known you are here already.

It's nice to see you!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #39
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He gets around.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #40
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Sometimes when I double tap the right upper corner to get a bookmark, the dictionary opens up and gives an explanation for a random highlighted word on the page. Did anyone get across this, too? I find that annoying. But using the options button and then get a bookmark is kind of inconvenient. Is there a special double tap (i.e. do I probably just have a wrong timing?) that provides more "consistent" bookmarking?
I guess I kind of found the fault. The book where bookmarking was pulling up the dictionary was on the SD-Card. With the card being slower than internal memory, the timing seemed off. I just started a new book and, for page turning times, I've put it into the readers internal memory. Now the bookmarking isn't an issue anymore. I had this behaviour only with that one book on SD-Card.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #41
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad Air, iPad Mini. Nook Glo, Kindle Paperwhite,
just take it outside first

I too love my shiny new red PRS-600 - the only adivice I'd offer someone newly purchasing the 600 is - to check it outside on a sunny day - with the sun shining on the screen - and see if you can read the "page" - mine suffers from disappearing ink. I can solve the issue by framing my face in front of the reader, but others don't suffer from the same issue. If the ereader has that issue, run back and exchange at your place of purchase. Other that than I have no complaints.

The cover that comes with the light - is another issue. I think it's rather cheaply made. It feels like cardboard BUT it's convenient...just way overpriced.

I'm excited to download library books which is why I purchased this ereader to begin with. We all get our joy from somewhere!
mapabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapabl View Post
I too love my shiny new red PRS-600 - the only adivice I'd offer someone newly purchasing the 600 is - to check it outside on a sunny day - with the sun shining on the screen - and see if you can read the "page" - mine suffers from disappearing ink. I can solve the issue by framing my face in front of the reader, but others don't suffer from the same issue. If the ereader has that issue, run back and exchange at your place of purchase. Other that than I have no complaints.

The cover that comes with the light - is another issue. I think it's rather cheaply made. It feels like cardboard BUT it's convenient...just way overpriced.

I'm excited to download library books which is why I purchased this ereader to begin with. We all get our joy from somewhere!

You should return/exchange that one if you can!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #43
andyotter
andyotter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,PRS-600
Quote:
I would recommend the 600 for the parent providing they will use a good light for reading. The weaker contrast is minimized to the point of none issue for me (others would disagree). Otherwise the 300 is probably a better choice for plain reading due to its superior clarity and contrast, IMHO.

thanks for that, Ken. I'm awaiting the arrival of a 600 bought from ebay yesterday. The plan is to give it to m-in-law who doesn't have a computer. I figure we'll load it up with a bunch of books first, but thereafter the easiest way (I'd guess) is to send her a SD card with new books on it. I've never done this before so maybe someone can help:
jessie102 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
direct SD card book loading is certainly possible but won't get to categorize your books into Categories/Collections. So you'd be only left with Date/Author/Title to sort your books by.
This acknowledged, if I got some thing like:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-Sin.../dp/B000VY80AM
to plug into my MacBook, would it be as simple as dragging new files onto an external disk? Would I be able do same with DRM titles (we'll authorise her 600 to our machine before we give it to her~)
Thanks again & karma for the helpful advice...
andyotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #44
Ken401
Addict

That type of card reader should work fine in transferring files from your Mac.

Can you purchase a DRM book from Sony, transfer the file from your computer to a memory card, and then put the card in the 600 to read? I think so. Finding the DRM file that Sony puts on your computer can be tricky since the file name is not the book title, but I was able to find it and transfer the DRM file to a card in a card reader, and then put the card in the 600 and open the book; however, the book had been transferred to the reader previously, so that may be why it worked. Maybe someone else can confirm when this will and will not work. Perhaps post as a separate question on the forum? Thanks for the Karma.