Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
resinger
resinger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Menu Problem

I received my PRS-500 this a.m. from Crutchfield. It's a lovely device, but I'm having some problems with the Menu. I can't seem to navigate because once a book is selected, pressing the Menu button doesn't do anything. A small circle with a minus sign appears briefly when I press the button, after which nothing happens. It seems that the only way I can get to the Menu to reappear is to do a soft reset. As it is, I can only move forward, but not back. Once I've selected a book, I can read it, but I can't get to the menu to select something else.

There were a couple times when the Menu did reappear--after a long period--but not any more.

I've perused some of the Troubleshooting entries and noted that a low battery can cause sluggish performance, so I'm now in the process of charging the battery until the red light goes out, even though the battery indicator shows four bars.

Am I doing something wrong?
resinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you sure that you're pressing the menu button, and not the "joystick" in the centre of it? The menu button is the lower right quadrant of the outermost "ring" surrounding the joystick - where the word "Menu" is printed on the Reader case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
resinger
resinger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Harry,

What is it that Homer Simpson says? "Doh."

That's *exactly* what I was doing wrong. It's weird to feel stupid and relieved at the same time.

Many thanks!
resinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by resinger
Harry,

What is it that Homer Simpson says? "Doh."

That's *exactly* what I was doing wrong. It's weird to feel stupid and relieved at the same time.
Don't feel bad, I did the exact same thing when I firrst got it last year, and had to call support.

It isn't really that intuitive.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
Aybara
Aybara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I will agree with that 100%.

And it isn't even labelled well.

It hurts even more when you accidentally open an excerpt book before the Operation's Guide and don't know how to get back.

Or the fact that NOTHING explains how the soft cover really attaches to the unit (I had to ask here in a posting)
Aybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An easy mistake to make. Glad it wasn't anything more serious!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote