Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #16
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Full booting time (like a reset) was a a minute or two. I think Nathan's article had a figure.

But it doesn't look like you hardly ever need to do a full boot. Almost always (like when you turn the reader off, or it goes to sleep), you come back to your page in less than 5 second. That's very very good news!

What does take a little bit of time is when you put in a memory card with lots of books on it, or if you open a book for the first time. That might also take a minute or two for it to prepare the pages. But that's only when you first open a book that was loaded directly on the memory card, as opposed to loading from the desktop software. If you use the desktop software, it preprocesses the book on the more powerful desktop PC so it's no big deal.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkabir
Hi Bob,

What about reading non-english content? What types of fonts are supported? Unicode? Can anyone install their own selected fonts?
I'm not sure about unicode. I'll try to remember to check. That's a great question, and came up in another thread also. I'd be surprised if it doesn't support unicode, but I have no basis for that guess.

The display fonts are the built-in fonts on the reader. That set is fixed and any other fonts probably get converted. With pdf documents, I think fonts can be embedded, can't they? It would be interesting to see if the Reader can use those fonts embedded in a pdf document. Actually, I think that was a side conversation going on while we were in San Diego, but I was busy with another topic at that time and missed the answer. Maybe Nathan heard that one.

Unfortunately, as I alluded to above, you can't install your own fonts in the Reader, with the possible workaround of embedded pdf document fonts, but I'm not sure about that.
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #18
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Do you happen to know the names of the font(s) built-in ?

Or is it a new font created by Sony ?

PS Interesting - that is another aspect (like the lack of a built-in light) that is "like a paper book" and less like an electronic device. (When you buy a paper book, you must use the font chosen by the publisher. Although that brings up the issue that publishers can no longer choose the font... )

Last edited by Ken Stuart; 09-26-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
With pdf documents, I think fonts can be embedded, can't they? It would be interesting to see if the Reader can use those fonts embedded in a pdf document. Actually, I think that was a side conversation going on while we were in San Diego, but I was busy with another topic at that time and missed the answer. Maybe Nathan heard that one.
Yup. this one is a PDF with embedded fonts.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #20
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Very nicely done as well, Bob. Thanks for your efforts. BTW, your next-to-last paragraph would work like a charm with Beethoven's 9th. Such a nice crescendo!

Here's something I forgot to ask NatCh, did you have time to check images? Is there a downconversion to 4 gray levels needed before loading them to the device?

My camera comes with a MS Pro Duo. I understand that the box does not include an adaptor, right?

I really hope the battery doesn't catch fire. Sony has been badly hurt by such a big mess-up, maybe even more than with the rootkit debacle.

Thanks for your time!
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #21
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
Very nicely done as well, Bob. Thanks for your efforts. BTW, your next-to-last paragraph would work like a charm with Beethoven's 9th. Such a nice crescendo!
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here's something I forgot to ask NatCh, did you have time to check images? Is there a downconversion to 4 gray levels needed before loading them to the device?
Nope, no conversion needed. I'll attach one of the pix I took to test with. No snide comments about my wife's dogs, now (even if the one on the left does think I'm hers).

Quote:
My camera comes with a MS Pro Duo. I understand that the box does not include an adaptor, right?
That is correct. But aren't those adapters pretty cheap? I don't have any MS, so I don't know first hand....

Quote:
I really hope the battery doesn't catch fire. Sony has been badly hurt by such a big mess-up, maybe even more than with the rootkit debacle.
Well, none of them exploded while we were there, anyway.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #23
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Hi Bob and Nathan,

Thanks for your information on font issue; but it's somehow not clear to me in one way or other. Think about non-European languages like chinese, hindi, bengali. I understand if I can convert any document written in any of these languages into pdf with fonts embedded, then that would display correctly. But what about any txt, rtf file? In those files fonts are not embedded. So embedding is the only solution?
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:28 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm sorry, hkabir, I just don't know.

I didn't think to try it, I wish I had so that I could tell you one way or the other. I can't speak for Bob, but I'm guessing he'd probably have said if he had tried it.

I think the only way you'll get an answer is to wait until somebody has one and get them to try a file for you.

If you've got a file to try, you might want to keep it handy 'til one of us gets his new toy. I'm sure someone will be willing to try it for you.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #25
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
There are some addon programs for Sony Librie offered by Sony. The list and links available here .

Just wondering these will work with new Sony Reader. I guess Bob or Nathan can give us more insight.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist

I can tell you that the LRF file I brought with me from ManyBooks (the Librie' (beta) format) worked just fine. One of the Sony team commented off-handedly that he'd tried a lot of such files and they worked.

Those addons look very interesting but I can't tell you at the moment, whether they'll be useful or not.

I do expect a fair number of the old Librie' tools are about to get a new lease on life, and those in particular are ones I'd like to try out.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #27
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

There was an article quoted at http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=5578#more-5578 that indicates the Librie tools do work for the Sony Reader!

"To my great surprise, the content of my LIBRIe memory stick popped up in the Reader with no problems; it seems that the file/directory structure is similar, if not the same. The books are displayed just fine, yet in somewhat reduced fashion (judging by the embedded pictures). I am not sure about the interactive contents yet (like pop-ups), whether they would work, or not."
Old 12-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #28
rcbarker
rcbarker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Love it.

I got mine last week, and spent the last two days using it ( in the house due to a blizzard), I love it. Even after two days use, the power bar has not moved off full, and the screen is great.
Randy B.
rcbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Welcome to MobileRead, rcbarker.

If your reader follows the usual profile (and it started out fully charged), you won't see the battery meter move for another 5 days.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #30
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I've been able to read Secure PDF files on my reader without any problem.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote