Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Misbehaving Page Bar

Since last Friday I've been having a problem with my page flipper jumping forward 5 pages at a time for brief clicks. Not just in ipdf, but in the device manager etc...

The flipper works correctly for reverse so I'm thinking about upgrading to 2.8 so I can flip it around for the whole UI (I use a customized ipdf that uses the page flipper backwards in ipdf.) But thought I'd post and see if anyone else has experienced this and has a fix, perhaps cleaning the flip bar???
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Upgrading to 2.8

I believe you van safely upgrade to 2.8, Scotty.
Order the option of executing shell commands.
Your calculator and your xterm still work, ipdf not any more , gnuchess also not anymore (miss it). MP3 player works, but still only on the left channel.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I too have experienced this problem occasionally.
When I flip back to find my place again I often find that the page numbers are incorrect. i.e. if I am on page 50 and flip back one I find I the iLiad will still say page 50 instead of 49. It usually sorts itself out eventually.

So now I carefully take note of the page number before flipping to the next which takes a bit of the pleasure out of reading.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
if I am on page 50 and flip back one I find I the iLiad will still say page 50 instead of 49. It usually sorts itself out eventually.
I've seen that one, I believe they've sorted that one in 2.8. One of the incompatibilities they introduced is a new "synchronized" call to update the page indicator.

Apparently when you set the new page number into the page bar it didn't always immediately re-draw itself, so it would miss the screen refresh call and thus wouldn't be updated on the display.

But the problem I'm having (in addition to that one) is that when I press the page flipper I'm getting flipped 5 pages, even for a brief flick of the bar.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
That problem was around for a few people a while ago, but it only happened from time to time. I had it on my Iliad, but I don't have it anymore...can't tell you what it was and iRex never really said anything about it if I remember correctly.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
I believe you van safely upgrade to 2.8, Scotty.
Order the option of executing shell commands.
Your calculator and your xterm still work, ipdf not any more , gnuchess also not anymore (miss it). MP3 player works, but still only on the left channel.
I know I can safely upgrade to 2.8, the upgrade totally overwrites the existing user file system so everything goes poof, no matter how heavily hacked.

I have no doubts I can re-install emacs, Sylpheed Claws, RTF reader, DJVU reader, graphic novel reader, on screen clock, blue tooth stack, CD-ROM/DVD support, Windows networking etc... plus the public stuff.

The major timing issue is when to cut off support for the 2.7 apps...
Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm not sure...the whole iRex Update story is a bit of a problem...it means that any user apps may or may not work in the new version and puts lots of strain on the developers that then have to update or reprogram their apps for every new release...and since the Iliad is far from finished it can still happen very often...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I know I can safely upgrade to 2.8, the upgrade totally overwrites the existing user file system so everything goes poof, no matter how heavily hacked.

I have no doubts I can re-install emacs, Sylpheed Claws, RTF reader, DJVU reader, graphic novel reader, on screen clock, blue tooth stack, CD-ROM/DVD support, Windows networking etc... plus the public stuff.

I think: NOW. Update the apps if they do not work under 2.8 and upgrade, because the vast majority of users will have 2.8.

I would like to have a RTF reader, BTW, although until now I transformed it into PDF.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I'm not sure...the whole iRex Update story is a bit of a problem...it means that any user apps may or may not work in the new version and puts lots of strain on the developers that then have to update or reprogram their apps for every new release...and since the Iliad is far from finished it can still happen very often...
Well... The only hassle is when Irex take a bit to release the toolchain, etc... Personally I'd rather have that hassle if it means the Iliad continues to improve...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Whats the graphic novel reader...? CBR...? Any chance of release dates...?

Quote:
Now, because its unlikely that anyone will stay with 2.7 since we now have Scribbles on Pdf..
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
I think: NOW. Update the apps if they do not work under 2.8 and upgrade, because the vast majority of users will have 2.8.

I would like to have a RTF reader, BTW, although until now I transformed it into PDF.
I'm still slowly chiseling away on my multiformat contentLister replacement. Until then you need to ask M when they plan on enhancing their contentLister to support the new readers they were trying to get people to develop by releasing the ipdf source...
Old 01-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

I noticed this morning that a gap has been opening in the iLiad's case seam over by the page flipper bar. The gap is opening right over the screw that is half way down the length of the case. I suspect that screw is working itself lose.

I wonder if this is what is leading to the sporadic page bar misbehavior?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #13
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
Scotty, I've only experienced the page bar misbehaving rarely and only once since upgrading to 2.8, but I'm not the power user you probably are. Has tightening the screw down or otherwise securing the seam helped at all with this problem?
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #14
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
My misbehaving page bar effect was gone with fw 2.8. The reason is that I don't flip to left anymore [5-pages-jump never occured after flipping to the right, same symptom as scotty's iLiad], because I changed the configuration of flipbar [pressing to the right, flips to next page.]

A bonus of flipping to right is it is half as loud as flipping to right.

Last edited by yokos; 01-05-2007 at 07:55 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #15
scotty1024
Banned

The page flip bar was becoming a real pain with the java development so I finally got out my "Totally awesome collection of tools" Fast Times at Ridgemont High and found a Torx driver that fit the fasteners in the back of the iLiad.

I found that a moderate amount of finger tip applied torque caused a 45 degree rotation on every fastener except the one directly under the page flip bar. After completing this re-torquing procedure I discovered that the case was now back to being more like a slab of granite instead of the limp "loose stack of paper" feel it had before.

The page flip bar is now restored to crisp precise operation.

I probably violated the warranty but as far as I could tell: iRex was never going to honor my warranty anyway.