Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
kharntiitar
kharntiitar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Calibre Server and Avahi on Ubuntu not quite working as planned

Hi all,

I am having a problem where when I start my Calibre Content server (to use with say, Stanza) it renames my systems broadcasted hostname to;

"hostname-2.local"

Within stanza, I can point to it's IP address and it will work fine, or I can point to hostname-2.local and again, it works fine, however if i tell it to use the library it has found by default, it is actually looking for 'hostname.local'.

This also effects several other things that connect to it using avahi rather than IP (Samba & mysql among others) and look for 'hostname.local' and when I stop the Calibre server, it does not automatically change the hostname back.

After several hours of searching I have only found one other issue that was exactly the same at launchpad but no solution it was just marked as Invalid.

Also, having the Calibre on one of my other systems (OS X) the content server is not an issue, however it is not a feasible choice to host the server all the time.

Is there some sort of setting somewhere that I have missed? or something else that I can do/edit to prevent it from changing the hostname?

Kovid if you happen to read this, Thank you for a fantastic Application, this is the first time I have had even the slightest of issues since I started using it.

*edit

one thing i forgot to mention, I can manually rename the hostname once the Calibre server has started using 'avahi-set-host-name hostname' and then stanza works fine.

Last edited by kharntiitar; 05-19-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Additional info
kharntiitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses the standard python system call

socket.gethostname()

to get the hostname to use when publishing the service. I suspect you are experiencing some sort of conflict between avahi and the Zeroconf module that calibre uses. I'll update Zeroconf to its latest version for the next calibre release, see if that helps.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
kharntiitar
kharntiitar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Thanks Kovid, I will wait until the next release, and report on it then.
kharntiitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
kevinthegreat
kevinthegreat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi there! I know this is quite the old thread, but as of today I'm having the same problem.

I'm on calibre 0.9.14, running Mac OS X 10.8.2, and as of this morning when I start the calibre server, my Local Hostname is renamed to xxxxx-2.local. Renaming it back to xxxxx.local doesn't stick as long as calibre server's running. If I quit calibre server, I can rename it back to xxxxx.local manually and the name will stick. The moment I relaunch calibre server, we're back to xxxxx-2.local.

Having the server is just a luxury and not a huge deal to me, but I wanted to make you aware that it still appears to be a problem. I need to shut it off to have other critical resources run properly, but of course, I'll take any advice on getting the server running without it hijacking my hostname.

Otherwise, thanks for the AWESOME app. I love it.
kevinthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
lbutlr
Enthusiast
lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: iPhone
I'd love to see this ling-standing bug fixed. Calibre 2.36 and OS X 10.11 and this is STILL an issue.

If the program let us specify our IP address, this would not happen I don't think.

No other program (µtorrent, sabnzb, sonarr, etc) that sets-up a server causes this issue.
lbutlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think you just set a record for Necro-posting

I just entered my machine nameort into the address bar of Firefox on another system on the network:

Calibre, with the Library (path) name in the lower right corner

I think the Router resolves my machine names
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)

But there's definitely been older than this.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The original problem was on Ubuntu.

I have never seen this problem on linux.
Nor would it be the same problem on a Macbook (does OSX use avahi???).

Heaven knows that most pople aren't experiencing the issue -- any problms are most likely specific to an uncommon OS configuration.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
lbutlr
Enthusiast
lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.lbutlr is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Heaven knows that most pople aren't experiencing the issue -- any problms are most likely specific to an uncommon OS configuration.
Since most people would not know if their machine name changes from bob.local to bob-2.local, I bet a lot more have this issue than you think. Every OS X user I've seen running Calibre has this issue and has for many years.

Its persisted through many versions and occurs on a brand new OS X install with a brand new Calibre install. Simply set Calibre to start the server on launch and it will change the server's name on every launch.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And yet, on my OS X machine, when I run the calibre server, the machine name remains unchanged.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #11
lbutlr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And yet, on my OS X machine, when I run the calibre server, the machine name remains unchanged.
That's interesting, so I did a bit of testing on my LAN and put calibre on every Mac.

The only Mac that did not change names was one that was *not* being given a reserved IP from the router.

Dunno if this is coincidence or not, but I can certainly try the test again if that might be helpful.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I know of no reason that the method a machine is assigned an IP address should affect bonjour.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
momus
momus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This problem happened also to me

I have steps to reproduce this problem, this only happens when you change "server_listen_on" variable to value other than 0.0.0.0 or main interface IP.

I'm playing with my Raspberry PI2,I want to make it microserver.

some info:
calibre 2.74
hostname = malina.local
ipv4 = 192.168.0.50
main interface = wlan0

1. When server_listen_on is set to 0.0.0.0, avahi and calibre works together like a charm.
2. When server_listen_on is set to wlan0 IP (192.168.0.50), again, avahi and calibre works together like a charm.
3. but when I set server_listen_on = 127.0.0.1 then problem occurs. avahi hostname change to malina-2.local, with ip: 192.168.0.50, but calibre report malina.local with ip: 127.0.0.1.
4. problem not exists when I set
server_listen_on = ::1
or
server_listen_on = localhost (with this calibre show some warning from "CherryPy Checker:" and binds to ::1, but bonjour report ipv4 from wlan0 interface)

I want hide calibre behind proxy (nginx), ideal is to set calibre to listen on 127.0.0.1 only.

How to disable this feature (bonjour) in calibre-server without editing files? (lib/calibre/calibre/library/server/base.py).
I want add manual configuration to avahi with correct IP (ipv4 & ipv6) and port (nginx listen on 80).
Actually calibre-server bonjour only works with IPv4. When I set ::1, calibre get IPv4 from my wlan0 interface.

Last edited by momus; 01-03-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: additional info
momus is offline   Reply With Quote