Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
SF/fantasy books that turned into series, and shouldn't have

This got touched off by Dr. Drib's threads in this area on Sf and Fantasy authors you should and shouldn't read.

One bit of discussion involved series, and got me to wondering: what series have you read that really never should have been turned into a series, and would have been far better as a stand alone novel?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Dune...Dune...Dune...Dune...Dune...Dune...Dune...

Great book poorly served by each successive sequel/prequel/whateverquel
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
Dune...Dune...Dune...Dune...Dune...Dune...Dune...

Great book poorly served by each successive sequel/prequel/whateverquel
I'll concur, but have a question: would you consider Dune Messiah and Children of Dune part of Dune, and stop after those? Or would you have just stopped after the original Dune?

(Herbert wrote the first three as one long book, split in three for publications, which is why I ask.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series should never have been published even starting with the first book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
All the extra Asimov Foundation stores after the first 1940's trilogy...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
All the extra Asimov Foundation stores after the first 1940's trilogy...
Ya know, I remember reading some years ago that Isaac's publisher finally reached the point where they said "write another Foundation, or we're not going to publish anything else...." (because he had refused to write new ones...)

And Piers Anthony gets puns *sent to him by readers* to include in future Xanth stuff.

There really are authors who get told "we'll publish your other stuff as long as every other book is in the series."
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #7
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth after the first two. Third was okay but I thought it seriously went downhill after that. I thought the first book was pretty good and the second was just excellent.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth after the first two. Third was okay but I thought it seriously went downhill after that. I thought the first book was pretty good and the second was just excellent.
agree, although I still ended up buying the hardback version of the last 5 books wanting to know what happened and hoping they'd be better.

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books should have stopped somewhere around book 8. From that point on they have only gone more and more downhill
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Oh goodie!

Another thread I can say Wheel of Time in

He really, REALLY should have made that one book only and then gone on and done something else!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Ursula leGuin's Earthsea is a fine example for such. 2nd and 3rd books are OK and after that the series is just ... nevermind what.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
Ursula leGuin's Earthsea is a fine example for such. 2nd and 3rd books are OK and after that the series is just ... nevermind what.
I'll do you one better and say that the first book should never have been written.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
Anne Rice: "Interview with the Vampire"

One "soulful tortured vampire" novel was all we needed, thank you.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Riles
Riles began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'll toss Ender's Game into the ring. Right after Speaker for the Dead that should have been nipped in the bud.
Riles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DojoPat View Post
Anne Rice: "Interview with the Vampire"

One "soulful tortured vampire" novel was all we needed, thank you.
That goes for all the "copy-cats" as well.

Vampires are NOT sexy, they are evil, blodsucking buttholes that should be staked, have their heads chopped off and dragged into the sunlight, every last anemic one! So there!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
I agree. I find myself forcing myself to read the rest of the series (I am on book 8) because I like the world that Terry Goodkind created, and a few of the books. I like the t.v. series as well, that is actually what got me reading the books; I can't seem to finish book 8, however, I am a quarter of the way through and NOTHING has happened. I wonder what happens with these writers when their books go downhill like that? Is it the pressure to make a series out of any good fantasy book, even though the good ideas aren't coming? I actually respect George R.R. Martin for taking his time with Song of Ice and Fire's fifth book (even though many of his fans are angry about the looooonnng wait between books), because it means that he wants to take his time to write a good book, as opposed to churning out moneymakers (I hope).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote