Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony Reader to go unwired!

Folks, it's official (well kind of): A Sony Reader with wireless capabilities is in the works! Our friends at Gizmodo have the scoop:

Quote:
Stan Glasgow [COO of Sony Electronics], at dinner tonight with a few journalists, told us that Sony plans to network 90% of all of their products, thousands of models, by 2010. ... Speaking of connectivity, Glaslow also mentioned that a Sony Reader E-book with wireless connectivity was being developed.
Not only is Sony continuing their plans to revolutionize the world of e-books (we haven't heard much else from Sony of late, have we?), but, better even, they probably understood that wireless delivery of content is what has made the Amazon Kindle undoubtedly so successful.

You opinion? Do we want a wireless Sony Reader?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think it's more likely to simply mean WiFi networking capability than a true wireless content delivery service like Amazon's Whispernet, but we'll have to wait and see...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Probably, IMO. Still, it's exciting to see a new model coming out and continuing competition.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
WiFi rather than Whispernet wouldn't be such a bad thing. At least it would get around the geographical limitations of the Kindle. What would be important for the Reader to be successful is the wireless shopping experience... if they just added a WiFi option without offering a wireless shop, it'd be rather pointless to have.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:46 AM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Now the turmoil begins for those still shopping, Do they buy now or wait for the new stuff, I can hear the questions now. Let me go check the which one should I buy forums!!
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
WiFi rather than Whispernet wouldn't be such a bad thing. At least it would get around the geographical limitations of the Kindle. What would be important for the Reader to be successful is the wireless shopping experience... if they just added a WiFi option without offering a wireless shop, it'd be rather pointless to have.
And if they add a wireless shop, they need a keyboard or touch screen technology...

Well, they should focus on releasing DE on the PRS-505 first, they should have released this update months ago !
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
What would be important for the Reader to be successful is the wireless shopping experience... if they just added a WiFi option without offering a wireless shop, it'd be rather pointless to have.
I wouldn't call it *entirely* pointless; I'd like being able to get to my ebook collection remotely through FTP or a web interface or something like that directly from my ebook reader. But then, I'm capable of setting up the remote end of something like that; in fact, I already have. To Joe or Jane Sixpack having just the WiFi would indeed not all that useful, I think.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
WiFi capability on its own is nothing more than a communications "channel"; it would certainly need some sort of application on the Reader to support it, perhaps to download books from the user's Connect account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC

I'd go with it.

I've always liked the look of the Sony over the Kindle. Add to the fact that most people can walk into their local BestBuy and get one gives them a leg up over the Kindle.

I'd imagine they would have some sort of WiFi purchase option, even they wouldn't be that dense not to Especially seeing as the iLiad has this feature.

Now, how soon will be the real sticking point. It would be foolish to announce so early without a model coming (very) soon unless they are really getting beaten up in the sales department by the Kindle

And if sales have really plummeted because of the Kindle, adding WiFi without some other spiffy new features (such as some type of fold out keyboard or touch screen, ability to make notes, Digital Editions, ePub) may not be enough.

They'd also have to keep the price low, or at least no higher than the current model.

(I'm still of the opinion it isn't DRM that is keeping folks away from e-book readers, it's the high prices)

Last edited by Walk Broad; 07-02-2008 at 04:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
tonyofla
Enthusiast
tonyofla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I have to agree with this. I have the Iliad v2 with great wifi built in, but with no wireless shop and no english language newspapers, I hardly ever use it.
tonyofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Considering Whispernet vs. WiFi, I would personally prefer the latter, given that it's highly unlikely that either Sony or Amazon will offer a Whispernet-like feature that would work in all European countries.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
WiFi capability on its own is nothing more than a communications "channel"; it would certainly need some sort of application on the Reader to support it, perhaps to download books from the user's Connect account.
Of course. I assumed something like a basic Web browser or FTP client or somesuch.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yes, you don't get Whispernet everywhere; but where you do, it sure beats WiFi for our purposes.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
rickprez
rickprez began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Bah and a humbug tossed in for good measure ...

I would trade that WiFi Whispernet stuff for the much delayed and often looked for upgrade for the PRS505.

The biggest disappointment of my PRS505 is lack of native (no vodoo dances please) support for readable PDF formated documents. That was a selling point and I feel like I got ripped off, because it does not work quite right for 8x11 documents.

RickPrez
rickprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #15
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickprez View Post
The biggest disappointment of my PRS505 is lack of native (no vodoo dances please) support for readable PDF formated documents.

I’m personally going to set up a little voodoo shrine for the next Sony Reader. There will be needles and fire and possibly goat parts. Am I forgetting something?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony reader, stan glasow