Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
bigmat1201
bigmat1201 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Best warranty for the money

I started out with the original kindle. And that thing was great, until it fell off my night stand and i accidentally stepped on the screen. Couldn't afford another after that and it was past the amazon 1 year warranty. Last year, around this time i bought a kindle keyboard 3G SO. And it was great, maybe not as good as the original because it didn't have a SD card slot for infinite storage, but it was still better then carrying 100's of books around in your pocket. And about a couple of days after the amazon 1 year warranty expired i somehow (must have done it in my sleep) broke the screen on it. (and I've totally looked up a replacement screen for both of them, but by the time you pay for the screen and the shipping from china and go through the pain of installing it, its not really worth it) So, I bought a kindle paperwhite SO Wifi from best buy the other day and I really like it but i would definitely would like to get a warranty for it this time.

I know best buy offers a 2 or 3 year warranty and square trade offers a cheaper 2 or 3 year warranty. I know amazon also offers an extended warranty but i'm not sure i can get that one since i bought the kindle at best buy.

The best buy warranty sound convenient since supposedly all i have to do if i have any problems is walk in to a best buy store and depending on the severity of the problem they just give me a new kindle.

But the square trade warranty is cheaper, and they promise to fix it or get me a refund in 5 days.

I don't know anything about the amazon extended warranty other then i think they used to use square trade for there warranty and i think they use something else now. Again i'm not even sure i can get an extended amazon warranty since i didn't buy it from amazon.

So I'm wondering what the best warranty i can get for it? Any one have any experience (good or bad) with any of these warranties? Anyone know of a better warranty service then the ones i've listed?

Thanks a lot (hope i posted this in the right place)
bigmat1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would contact Amazon first and see what they say. If you bought the kindle with a major credit card you should have a two year warrenty provided by the credit card. Worth checking out

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
bigmat1201
bigmat1201 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I bought the kindle keyboard at best buy because i had a $70 gift card for best buy. And the rest i used cash and a debt card. Since i didn't use a credit card to purchase the kindle i don't think that credit card trick would work.

Thanks anyway
bigmat1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Better question is what DOESN'T this family have?! Current: Kindle PW
You might consider http://www.squaretrade.com/

I have never used them, but I have heard good things about them.
MrsAmandaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I've heard good things about square trade, too. Normally, I wouldn't think that paying 1/3 of the cost of an item for insurance would be a good deal. But in your case, maybe it would be...
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon has a habit of offering a cheaper price on a replacement Kindle for those that are out of warrenty. I have even heard of people getting a free replacement when the warrenty is up. I suspect the amount of money you spend on ebooks plays into what you are offered but there is no proof of that.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My problem with the Amazon warranty is that they replace your new unit with a refurbished one, not a new one (or your own repaired). With Best Buy, they just give you a new one. Also, remember that your credit card may also give you additional warranty options.

That said, I received an Amazon keyboard, refurbished model, when mine broke after nearly a year of use. I've been using it for over 2 years with no problems at all.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best buy, extended warranty, square trade, warranty