Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Putting a series in numerical order.

I like having my book series in chronological order. No matter how I try, I haven't figure out a way to do it with the Kindle by itself.

I've figured out a way to do it, using Calibre.

Now, for instance. Using Douglas Adam's "Hitchhikers Guide" series, when I load them into Calibre, I click on "edit meta data info", and, preceding the title, enter the number followed by the number of books in the series. Like so

(1/4) "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
(2/4) "The Restaurant at the end the the Universe"

and so forth. You don't need the number of total books if you don't want them, (see pic) and you can always come back and change the total. (1/6, etc)

Authors are listed "last name, first name" in both author fields.

Now, when I have them sorted correctly, I plug in the kindle, and (this is important) wait for it to "check for items" or whatever it does before I can upload books. When its finished, I'll click on the first book, and hit 'send to device'. Wait till thats done, (about 3-4 seconds,) then click on second one, click on 'send to device' and so forth. I"ve tried highlighting them all and sending at the same time, but they don't load correctly that way.

I would suggest, if you are going to try this, delete the books from your Kindle first, then reload with the fixed Calibre books. Also, since it takes so long for Calibre to find all the books if you've got lots like I do, get all your 'ducks in a row' so you can do this at one time.

When you are done, the books will be in series order, by number, on the Kindle.

Hope this helps someone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	732
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	26328  
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I sometimes do something similar. except that I would use...

HHGTG 01 - The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy as the title so when it's sorted by title, I would have the entire HHGTG series in order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I sometimes do something similar. except that I would use...

HHGTG 01 - The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy as the title so when it's sorted by title, I would have the entire HHGTG series in order.
Pretty much what I do as well.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Have you visited the Visual Guide page Mobi2Mobi Advanced? Even if you are using Calibre, there are examples of book labeling for books in a series.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-24-2009 at 04:56 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Now, when I have them sorted correctly, I plug in the kindle, and (this is important) wait for it to "check for items" or whatever it does before I can upload books. When its finished, I'll click on the first book, and hit 'send to device'. Wait till thats done, (about 3-4 seconds,) then click on second one, click on 'send to device' and so forth. I"ve tried highlighting them all and sending at the same time, but they don't load correctly that way.
This must effect sort by time, but sending them all at once should not effect sort by title.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Have you visited the Visual Guide page Mobi2Mobi Advanced? Even if you are using Calibre, there are examples of book labeling for seires.
The Honor Harrington example isn't optimal, [01HH] should be [HH01] otherwise [01SH] (Safehold 1: Off Armageddon Reef) will be sorted next to 01HH.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Honor Harrington example isn't optimal, [01HH] should be [HH01] otherwise [01SH] (Safehold 1: Off Armageddon Reef) will be sorted next to 01HH.
That's if I used "SH". Everything I have with Honor Harrington is HH.

Edit: After thinking a bit, I have a better understanding of what you are trying to say. Your suggestion is probably the best way to go.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-24-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I"ve tried highlighting them all and sending at the same time, but they don't load correctly that way.
This shouldn't matter? How are you sorting your kindle. If you sort by date it is not going to maintain your order. The Kindle will put the last one you opened at the top the next time you go to the home page.

But, if you have the numbers in the titles and sort by title then it should be fine. That said... you will have a problem if you then do the same thing with another book series... because it will sort all the 1's together, then all the 2's etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This shouldn't matter? How are you sorting your kindle. If you sort by date it is not going to maintain your order. The Kindle will put the last one you opened at the top the next time you go to the home page.

But, if you have the numbers in the titles and sort by title then it should be fine. That said... you will have a problem if you then do the same thing with another book series... because it will sort all the 1's together, then all the 2's etc.

BOb
I already realized that......so I'm making sure each series has a different number in the series, even if its a fake number.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I already realized that......so I'm making sure each series has a different number in the series, even if its a fake number.
Ok, so I am confused as to what sending them one at a time does. It shouldn't make any different if you are sorting by title. Right?

BOb
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
When you send multiple items at once to device from Calibre, it doesn't necessarily send them in alphabetical order or even the order you click on them, but however they are ordered in its own internal stack. Probably last to first.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
When you send multiple items at once to device from Calibre, it doesn't necessarily send them in alphabetical order or even the order you click on them, but however they are ordered in its own internal stack. Probably last to first.
But that shouldn't matter. If you tell the kindle to sort by title, it doesn't matter what order you put the files on the Kindle. It will sort the same way given the titles.

If you look at DGs capture you will see "I, Robot" sorted after "The Burning Bridge". I think "t" comes after "i".

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-24-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But that shouldn't matter. If you tell the kindle to sort by title, it doesn't matter what order you put the files on the Kindle. It will sort the same way given the titles.

If you look at DGs capture you will see "I, Robot" sorted after "The Burning Bridge". I think "t" comes after "i".

BOb
Her sort is by author not title (I may be missing your last point).
Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Her sort is by author not title (I may be missing your last point).
Ah, you are correct. She didn't mention that. So apparently if you sort by author it is not later sorted by title, but by date. I wonder if opening one of those books will disrupt the way they are displayed now.

BOb
Old 03-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader

What seems to happen on my K1 is that when sorting by author the sort within each author depends on the last sort selected. If this was "Most Recent First" then the sort is by access time but if this was "Sort by Title" then the sort is by title.

So, to definitely get a series in order, first sort by title and then sort by author.

Tags
(1)