Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
dumbtechie
dumbtechie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 950
Update

So my Sony Reader 950 said that there is a new update version of the software or something like that that's 2.0 or something. It says I need to have full battery so that I can download this new updated version. I also need to be connected to wifi. However, whenever I do charge my reader to maximum and connect to wifi the instructions said that it's not connected to any wifi. Am I missing something here?

Oh and for those of you have who their readers updated what is the benefit of updating? Faster speed, more apps?
dumbtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
dumbtechie

So it seems to me that while a bunch of people are viewing this thread, no one is answering. So does this mean that you guys never heard of this update?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi,

this update is some days old.
Filename : PRS-950 Updater 2.0.00.11300.exe
Version : 2.0
Last Modified :12/15/2010
Size :58.77 MB

See here for the problems addressed.

It merely solves problems with the sony-ebook-store.

HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbtechie View Post
So it seems to me that while a bunch of people are viewing this thread, no one is answering. So does this mean that you guys never heard of this update?
No, it means a bunch of us are viewing this site who don't have 950s... it is the smallest selling of the x50s as only available in the US... and it also means there's a bunch of us wondering why you didn't find the older threads dealing with this update and the information concerning it on the Sony site...

Last edited by elcreative; 07-20-2011 at 06:15 AM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
dumbtechie

To elcreative:
Oh I didn't know the 950s were the smallest selling x50s but I guess it's logical since it's extremelly expensive (I wished i bought the 900s since it's less expensive and although a little lacking in quality is still manageable). I didn't think about checking older threads but thanks for the suggestion, i will try to search for them
-------
So the update is meant for solving problems with the sony ebook store? Like what kind of problems? I personally never had any problems with the store but would it benefit me to update?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, I would update. As I recall it added direct app links to Google books and your previous purchases. It also added bookstore recommendations for you on your home page (which most of us turned off, I suspect). It activated hyperlinks in EPUBs so that they open the link in the browser. It also improved Wi-Fi connectivity for some people. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
dumbtechie

Ok, I got the advantage of updating my reader. But how?

I was connected to an authentic wifi, or however they say it is, and my battery charge was full. Yet when I tried to download the update, a box popped up and said that I wasn't connected to wifi. What's going on?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Maybe you had a bad connection? I would turn it off and then back on to see if that fixes the Wi-fi message. And, be sure to plug it into the wall and make sure it is fully charged.

You could also update it via the Sony Reader Library software. Connect your 950 to your computer via USB. Then from the menus, chose Help > Check for Updates. At least that's the Mac path. I'm guessing the Windows path is similar.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
You can download to your PC from here and it has instructions for updating from Windows. There is also a link on this page for Mac. Just make sure to read all the directions first - you need to remove any memory card, close Reader Library, etc.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
dumbtechie

Oh! Thanks everybody!