Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Where do my files go (900 >>> Reader Library)?

Scenario: I have a non-DRM PDF on my 900 that is not on my work PC, but I want to transfer a copy there. Although I could/should use Windows Explorer or Calibre, I tried using the Reader Library software to copy it to my work PC by connecting the reader and dragging the PDF from the reader library to the main Library icon at top left of the screen. It appears to transfer, the Status reports "complete," and I can now open the PDF from the main library.

Question: Where did Reader Library put my PDF on my PC? I have looked in the My Documents and Sony folders and all related sub-folders and have also done a file search on all of the drives connected to my PC. I then thought maybe all that happened was the Reader Library created a link to my 900, so I disconnected the 900 thinking I would not be able to open the PDF from the PC, but it opens just fine without the 900 connected. Does the Reader Library create some totally encrypted file???

I know there are other and easier ways to do this transfer, so at this point I am just curious about what happened.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
alfredopp
alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
im not too sure, but did you check My Documents -> My Books -> Reader Library?

The other thing you can try is opening the file and clicking the little "i" on the upper left corner to get the information about the file

Last edited by alfredopp; 04-22-2010 at 05:08 PM.
alfredopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A search, which had been running for hours, finally found it. Wow, it's buried deeeeep:

C>Documents and Settings>Administrator>Local Settings>Application Data>Sony Corporation>Reader>Database>kLibrary.

Thanks anyway alfredopp.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
See, that's why I use drag and drop. Sonys software and calibre (and other programs alike) are only databases. So they have to move/copy your file to a specific location to be able to find it again (but maybe not the user himself as he could mess things up this way).

I drag and drop my files. After that, I open the Sony library and organize my books in collections right on the reader. No need for a sync.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Ken401
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Sonys software and calibre (and other programs alike) are only databases. So they have to move/copy your file to a specific location to be able to find it again (but maybe not the user himself as he could mess things up this way).
Mike, thanks for your input. For what its worth, I agree that Calibre copies files to a specific location in building its database, resulting in duplicate copies of books without some planning or maintenance, but I don't believe SRL works that way in general. Of course, SRL does have certain default folders it uses for book purchases and the type of drag and drop copying I was experimenting with above.
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I have never checked where SRL would eventually store files as I only use it to create collections. I never tinkered with synching and such before.
This may come from older experiences made with mp3-players. Tag all music, add album art, sync it with the player, find out that band A suddenly has album art from Band XYZ...
I finally have my music like I want it to be besides some minor glitches. But it took really long to get there. So I don't bother doing that for my books.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote