Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Is it worth the risk purchasing a Kobo?

Hello,
I was set for purchasing a kobo glo (especially since the paperwhite won't be released in the uk for... ever?) but a few of the firmware/usability/production/customer support issues that have arisen on this forum are downright scary.

In general, are you happy with your kobo?

Is it worth the "risk" of buying one?

Since after purchasing we have 28 days to return it I'll probably buy it anyway to test it out, but it would be good to know how in the longterm it may pan out (ie. waiting for "improved" firmware/needing to contact support).

Thanks.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I can honestly say that I've been very happy with my Kobo. Yes the last firmware was a bit of a hiccup when it comes to page turn speed for epubs but I'm confident that will be fixed. Despite it's problems I still recommend the Kobo Touch to my friends.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I am pondering the same questions - I want a reader with the glow feature and would prefer to drive down the street to buy a Kobo vs. driving an hour or so across the border to buy a paperwhite. I'm going to wait for initial reviews from members of this site before making my decision.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I have had no problems with my Kobos (Touch and Vox), not with the 2.0 update for the Touch that some others had issues with or any other... I have several friends with Kobos as well (6 that I know of) that have, as far as I know, never had problems either. As I am the "geekiest" of us, I am usually the one that gets the questions concerning the use of their ereaders. All of them still work fine including the Kobo "original" (non-wifi, non-touch) that I gave a friend over 3 years ago...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
+1 to waiting for a while to hear what the initial thoughts of people are. The continual firmware updates and new issues cropping up are a major concern with regards to Kobo. It's over a year since the Kobo Touch was released but even the latest firmware update has issues?!

I'd be tempted to wait at least a month or two before spending my cash. A month for any initial issues to be ironed out and then see how it goes from there. You'll be able to check out the feedback from the Kindle Paperwhite then too, and all being well with both, as you'll probably still have a while to wait for the Paperwhite, you can then just go ahead and happily spend your cash on a Kobo Glo.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
We have 3 Kobos (wifi and two touches) and no issues. I've never had to deal with customer support. I will be buying a Glo but from staples and will purchase their warranty which covers replacement "just in case".
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Sharkey
Sharkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Our household has two Touches and an Original. v2.0 was almost unusable, but both of us are really liking KT v2.1.1; the PDF support has problems, but I'm hoping the next firmware fixes the issue. I've contacted Kobo customer support regarding a formatting issue, with no resolution thus far (7 months and counting).

I'd definitely recommend a Kobo Touch, but maybe wait until the v2.0 firmware glitches are resolved.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
How does bookmarking, highlighting work? Is the text clipped comparable to the Kindle or how can I 'export' the highlights? How is the dictionary support? Is there one pre-installed? Are there any good Spanish dictionaries out there? Ah, I wish I knew if all that works well, otherwise I could you try to find somebody carrying a Paperwight to Europe...
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
I love my Kobo Touch. It is an excellent reader. Yes, the recent 2.0.0 firmware update had some annoying problems, but they well be soon resolved I think.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Thanks for the replies.

Miquele raises a good point. Is it possible to select then export text from an epub (say email it or somewhere else, for research)?
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
As long as they keep forcing updates (rather than making them optional), I won't be able to recommend Kobo ereaders to anyone.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Shankill
Nameless Being

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Kobo. I've had all three generations, and I'm planning on getting the Glo as soon as it's released. There have been a couple of really bad software updates that affected me. 2.0 was pretty bad, and as a result of that, I put my KT in storage and switched to a Nook STR. A month later, I switched back to my Kobo. Just... couldn't do the Nook. I prefer the way the Kobo works in terms of its library and settings - more customisable without being more fiddly, if that makes any sense.

The hardware of the Kobos is great, the general responsiveness of the devs on places like MobileRead is admirable, the feature set is good, but the software updates often have bugs (more often than not in my experience, they aren't show-stopping bugs).
Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm happy with my Kobo Touch. I was royally frustrated with the v2.0.0 update and the seriously poor customer support Kobo has. However, some of the Kobo staff posted on this forum and obviously took the issues to Kobo management so partial fixes were released quickly. We are still waiting for full fixes. The thing that I wonder, is Amazon any better? Are they interested in their customers the way Kobo is? Comparing a working Kobo Touch with a working Kindle Touch, I find the Kobo much easier to use; actually quite intuitive. On that basis, the Kobo wins for me. But in terms of support, I don't know. Is it the better the devil you know?
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
The thing that I wonder, is Amazon any better? Are they interested in their customers the way Kobo is?
I actually believe as profit-focused they are, they have realised that making the customer happy is the way to make profits. What I have noticed about Amazon is their firmware is stable when released. No major chages occur to ruin the users experience (think of Kobo with the "Reading Recommendations").

Don't believe me, read the threads on the new firmware. Ok few people might have extreme problems where their situation is unique (think 10,000 ebooks in library kind of extreme). There are far less Kobo users than Kindle users yet number of complaint posts for Kobo users far outweigh Kindle.

That said I am keeping my eye out for the Kobo Glo. Kobo are young to the game but I do believe they are making the correct moves to become a main player. Think back, it was what, 2 years or so ago when they released their first ereader? The Glo is available internationally, the Kindle and Nook only in the US. People have cried out for a 5" ereader since Sony stopped making them, Kobo answered that call.

Hopefully their firmware will be more robust for this line of ereaders.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I'm very satisfied with my Touch on 2.1.1. Hopefully they finally have the firmware nailed down.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote