Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
AwesomeMario
AwesomeMario began at the beginning.

Device: Former Kindle DX User
Which one and Where to buy?

Hi Everyone,

Since I'm new to the forums, and would like some advice if you'd be willing to share.

I am student, and prior to my Kindle DX being stolen earlier this year I have no other experience with e-readers.

After a bit of research, I have narrowed it down to either a Onyx M92 or the Jetbook Color. The reason I'm going for the 9.7in is for the e-textbooks I buy and the PDFs for my courses.

The M92 seems legit and reliable from what I've read, and the Jetbook would likely help when I need to look at color graphs and such, so I'm hoping that you all could provide some insight. I would prefer not going back to the DX as the annotation software was less than useful.

As a side note, I also read about the Onyx M90...has there been any improvement on it? If there has, I might consider that since I've been able to find a few of those for cheaper on Ebay.

Thanks

-Mario
AwesomeMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Don't buy an Onyx M90. It's no good, and it's no longer supported by Onyx, so it won't improve. The M92 is a good reader and still supported.

The issue of e-textbooks and PDFs on ereaders comes up every other day here on Mobileread, and if you search the forums a bit you'll find that most people will advise you to go for a tablet such as the iPad rather than an E Ink reader.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think it's fair to say that the Jetbook Color has not been favourably received. If you want a colour device, a tablet such as the iPad or an equivalent Android tablet is your best bet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
The problem with cheap tablets is the learning curve-the 2 I bought didn't come with an ereader app pre-installed. There are plenty available but it's still a learning curve, particularly if you're also trying to figure out Android. It's not designed around productivity for most occupations. (Remember, it was developed for phones so it's heavily oriented towards 'productivity' in contacting people, not in producing work.) I got those tablets for about $80 each though. The $400 tablet I bought my spouse had lots of apps pre-installed.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
AwesomeMario
AwesomeMario began at the beginning.

Device: Former Kindle DX User
Thanks, people.

I'm more inclined toward an e-reader because, while I own an older tablet pc (Fujitsu T730), I find that I can only look at the screen for so long. Whereas, with my prior kindle DX it was easier on the eyes.
AwesomeMario is offline   Reply With Quote