Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free Book - A Nail Through the Heart

A second free pre-order this morning, this one is A Nail Through the Heart: With Bonus Content, by Timothy Hallinan.

Book Description
Travel writer Poke Rafferty was good at looking for trouble—so good that he made a little money writing a few offbeat travel guides for the young and terminally bored. But that was before Bangkok stole his heart. Now the expat American is happily playing family with Rose, the former go-go dancer he wants to marry, and with Miaow, the wary street child he wants to adopt. Yet just when everything is beginning to work out, trouble comes looking for Poke in the guise of good intentions. First he takes in Miaow's friend, a troubled and terrifying street urchin named Superman. Then he agrees to find a distraught Aussie woman's missing uncle—and accept an old woman's generous payment to find a blackmailing theif. Soon, these three seemingly disparate events begin to overlap, pulling Poke deeper into dark, unfamiliar terrain. Gradually he realizes that he's been gliding across the surface of a culture he really doesn't understand—and that what he doesn't know is about to hurt him and everyone he loves.

Beautifully crafted, relentlessly paced, A Nail Through the Heart is an exciting and enticing read that will leave readers hungry for more from the gifted Timothy Hallinan.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-30-2010 at 12:23 PM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Their is a charge on this one from amazon
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sunnysmiles - Which country are you in?

Did you follow the link or just search the title? Only this pre-order edition is free (there is a full charge version of the same name).

I just double checked. Still free in the US.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Am in UK their was a small charge. I clicked on the Books on the knob link.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Good to know, thanks. Since this one is a publisher promotion, they apparently decided to keep a small charge (could even be full price in some countries). So far, the ones from Amazon seem to be truly free in Canada, the UK, AU and a few other places now. But publishers can set a price for each country (I don't know if the cellular charges there influence them, or if they just feel that other countries are more willing to pay for a book; I know I saw one of these special editions only marked down to $5 this month, not free at all, so they still appear to be experimenting). I know that Germany has some laws that may apply to free ebooks there (protectionist laws for paper books, as exist for many other retail items).

I'd check back in a few days, maybe they'll change the price. You can also order at the current price, then cancel and re-order if it drops (you get the lowest price of when you ordered and when it shipped, so you can miss a lower in between price on ebooks - they are not on the same lowest pre-order price guarantee as paper books). Or return it after it ships, if it never drops in price.
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
goodscoolwf
goodscoolwf began at the beginning.

Device: none
A fascinating story, a cordial dialogue.
goodscoolwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland;
I'd check back in a few days, maybe they'll change the price. You can also order at the current price, then cancel and re-order if it drops (you get the lowest price of when you ordered and when it shipped, so you can miss a lower in between price on ebooks - they are not on the same lowest pre-order price guarantee as paper books). Or return it after it ships, if it never drops in price.
Do you know whether it's possible for the price to go up after you've preordered? If I order it now for free, is there any chance I could be charged for it when it comes out? I didn't see where it said the price was guaranteed. It is free right now.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It is showing as $0.00 for Canada on the pre-order edition (ships July 30); the regular version (without bonus content) is $10.79 and is available right now.

It's not quite my speed though ... sounds a bit gruesome.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
Do you know whether it's possible for the price to go up after you've preordered? If I order it now for free, is there any chance I could be charged for it when it comes out? I didn't see where it said the price was guaranteed. It is free right now.
If you order the item, you are guaranteed to get it at the price ordered. On ebooks, although there is no requirement to do so (they are not on the low price pre-order guarantee), Amazon will give you the lower price at the time of delivery, if it has gone down. Since it can't get lower than zero, get it now for guaranteed free purchase.

After you order, you'll see the order confirmation on the manage your kindle page, which shows how much you'll be charged. I've ordered a number of low-price and free pre-orders that were priced higher by the time of delivery and ALWAYS got the price at the time of my order (and for ONE title, even got a lower price that Amazon didn't have to give me and that I didn't expect, as I had missed the date on which the book was at it's lowest price and ordered it a day or two later at a slightly higher price).

So, to repeat: if it's free when you click (and you can confirm this by clicking on the Order Details link after you get to the confirmation page or by checking Manage Your Kindle), then you will not be charged when it is delivered, no matter what is being charged at that time.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
If you order the item, you are guaranteed to get it at the price ordered. On ebooks, although there is no requirement to do so (they are not on the low price pre-order guarantee), Amazon will give you the lower price at the time of delivery, if it has gone down. Since it can't get lower than zero, get it now for guaranteed free purchase.
Thank you so much for the info - I am going to go pre-order it now!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks - sounds interesting, so i pre-ordered it.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Nail Through the Heart, Timothy Hallinan, FREE on Kindle!

For a limited time:

A second free pre-order this morning, this one is A Nail Through the
Heart
: With Bonus Content http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V1WSTG/
by Timothy Hallinan.

Book Description

Travel writer Poke Rafferty was good at looking for trouble—so good
that he made a little money writing a few offbeat travel guides for the
young and terminally bored. But that was before Bangkok stole his heart.
Now the expat American is happily playing family with Rose, the former
go-go dancer he wants to marry, and with Miaow, the wary street child he
wants to adopt. Yet just when everything is beginning to work out,
trouble comes looking for Poke in the guise of good intentions. First he
takes in Miaow's friend, a troubled and terrifying street urchin named
Superman. Then he agrees to find a distraught Aussie woman's missing
uncle—and accept an old woman's generous payment to find a
blackmailing theif. Soon, these three seemingly disparate events begin
to overlap, pulling Poke deeper into dark, unfamiliar terrain.
Gradually he realizes that he's been gliding across the surface of a
culture he really doesn't understand—and that what he doesn't know
is about to hurt him and everyone he loves.

Beautifully crafted, relentlessly paced, A Nail Through the Heart is an
exciting and enticing read that will leave readers hungry for more from
the gifted Timothy Hallinan.

Enjoy!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #13
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
You didn't say, but are you the author? Or is this just a free Kindle book?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
You didn't say, but are you the author? Or is this just a free Kindle book?
I was wondering about this as well... 5kb doesn't sound like much...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you are the author, it is considered good manners to let MobileRead's readers know, especially considering the "content" of the second paragraph.

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free on kindle, mystery, poke rafferty, thailand, timothy hallinan